A yummy cake that never tastes Diet!!!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Orange-Caramel Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Lightly coat a 9×5-inch loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; set aside.
- With vegetable peeler remove peel from orange; coarsely chop. Cut orange in half and squeeze 1/2 cup juice.
- Process sugar and peel in food processor, pulsing until peel is finely chopped.
- Combine buttermilk, 1/4 cup orange juice and vanilla in a small glass measuring cup. (Reserve remaining juice for caramel sauce.)
- Beat butter and orange-sugar mixture in large mixer bowl on medium-high speed until combined.
- Beat in egg and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- At low speed, add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 15 minutes; invert and remove pan.
- Make Orange-Caramel Sauce:
- Meanwhile, combine water and sugar in small saucepan; stir with wooden spoon until sugar is moistened. Bring to simmer over medium-low heat; cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Uncover and cook until sugar turns amber, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly stir in reserved orange juice (mixture will bubble vigorously). Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Cool sauce and serve with cake