Blueberry Bran Muffins for a healthy snack. It has low fat & calories but very high in fiber & protein. A good snack for the whole family and even for diet-conscious individuals, you can indulge on muffins without the worries of getting fat!
- 1 1/2 cups Natural Wheat bran, crude
- 1 cup Milk, 1%
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 Egg, large
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup Fancy Molasses
- 2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Flour, white (all-purpose)
- 3/4 cup Flour, whole wheat
- 3/4 cup (100g) 35% Whey Protein Concentrate powder, plain / natural / unflavoured (sometimes known as "WPC 35")
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 4 tbsp. Wheat Germ, untoasted
- 2 cups Blueberries, unsweetened, frozen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together wheat bran and milk, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In another small bowl, mix together the frozen blueberries and wheat germ, tossing to coat the berries.
- In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, egg, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla. Beat in bran mixture.
- Sift together flours, whey protein, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir into bran mixture until just blended.
- Fold in wheat germ-covered berries, and scoop into muffin cups. Makes 9 large 'jumbo' muffins, or 18 smaller 'regular' sized muffins. [Can also make 4 'jumbo' and 10 'regular' or some other combination, depending on your pans!] (Use about 1/2 cup batter for large 'jumbo' muffins, or about 1/4 cup batter for smaller 'regular' sized muffins.)
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 (regular sized muffins) to 25 (jumbo sized muffins) minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. Remove from oven, and cool on wire racks.
- Makes 9 large 'jumbo' muffins [2 'servings' each], or 18 smaller 'regular' muffins [1 'serving' each]. Enjoy! :)