A very delectable appy perfect for parties!
- Cranberry-Ginger Chutney (below)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchatel), softened
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 16-ounce loaf baguette-style French bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey or ham
- Fresh herbs (optional)
- Prepare Cranberry-Ginger Chutney; transfer to a medium bowl and let stand about 1 hour or until completely cool. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place dried cranberries in a small bowl; add enough boiling water to cover. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in drained cranberries, pecans, ginger, and lime juice; set aside.
- Slice baguette diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on a very large baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or just until edges start to brown. Cool slightly. Cut smoked turkey into about 30 pieces to fit on bread slices. Spread bread with cranberry-cheese mixture. Top with turkey. Dollop with Cranberry-Ginger Chutney. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs.
- Cranberry-Ginger Chutney: In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries; 3/4 cup packed brown sugar; 1/3 cup dried apricot halves, chopped; 1/3 cup golden raisins; 2 tablespoons finely chopped, peeled fresh ginger; 2 tablespoons cranberry juice; 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom; and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes more or until cranberries pop, stirring occasionally.