A low fat chicken dish
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. each ground cumin and dried oregano
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 small jalapeño chili, minced (remove seeds if desired)
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1 can (19 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat oil in a dutch oven.
- Add red pepper, onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken chunks and continue cooking until chicken is barely done, about 5 more minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin and oregano and stir to coat well.
- Add water, crushed tomatoes and chopped jalepeno pepper. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and heat throughout. If desired, serve with grated reduced fat cheddar cheese.