🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

storm.jpg

This is about 30 minuted before the first part of the storm hit us, I marked a red X for our location. With no phone reception there was no way of receiving weather warning while we were there.

Last day of Uni holidays, I need to get my brain back into gear.

not directly related to study for my current subjects but I have spent a few hours this arvo digging through studies that bust myths about resistance training kids. As much as it has not been intentional I keep drifting towards coaching early teens (Big Market, almost zero competition). There is so much "common knowledge" bullshit floating around about strength training kids, it is time for me to write up a myth busting article for my coaching business, it has been a few years since I last wrote a blog post on the topic and there are newer studies to include now with far more detail concerning the benefits.

bjsports-2022-September-56-17-997-F1.large.jpg

Faigenbaum AD, Stracciolini A, MacDonald JP, Rial Rebullido T. Mythology of youth resistance training. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2022 Jun 8;56(17):997-8.

feeling a bit better about my scientific research methods class now we are past the heavy maths and back onto understanding concepts with software doing the heavy maths lifting.

In a few days time I need to select subjects for next semester.

tomorrow I will just be chilling out, spend some relaxation time in the gym then Friday start revising in prep for end of semester exams. Monday I have to collect data of for our group research project but our group is confident we can polish off the final report before the due date to clear the way for mostly uninterrupted revision.

Being part of a group where all members actually care to get things done makes group work a lot more bearable. I hated it so much.
Yay for being past the worst of the math!

Todays Task

Study - 1 subject complete, 2nd subject half way through this weeks content
Assessments - 1 Quiz complete, Data gathering for research study - 5 pm today
Enroll in subject for 1 semester next year - Done
Exercise - Body weight exercises to break up study
Food - ok, probably too many calories in the form of nuts so far, they are too easy to just eat while studying.

one more week of new content and a couple of quizzes then it is into revision for end of semester exams.

Had grip strength measures in the LAB today with the digital gripper hooked up to the spot science computer, peak force was just under 500 Newtons (Above the average males of the same age group and about average for the younger age groups) putting my 60% value for the hand grip endurance testing well above the average female peak value lol

The 19 year old bloke I was paired up with for the testing hit the 600 Newton mark.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...values_and_factors_associated_with_grip_force study on average grip strengths for reference.

The other thing I noticed today in what would be generally considered a fit and healthy cohort of people in the exercise lab was that during discussions on developing the protocols for squat testing nobody else was comfortable or even able to get into a primal squat position. I don't know what percentage of people simply cannot do this ?? I have not found any figures for it. A primal squat is also known as an Asian squat or Slav squat but just being of Asian heritage did not mean they could actually do it.

I am quite content in that position, I don't train it but for me it feels comfortable and natural position for my body.

The 19 year old bloke I was paired up with for the testing hit the 600 Newton mark
Let me guess: he knew your score before trying? :D
I don't know what percentage of people simply cannot do this ??
People of European descent who didn't happen to grow up in a very different cultural context? Hardly any adult can. Maybe 10% if I had to guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was lower. I can do it if I keep my legs far enough apart but it isn't comfortable for an extended period of time

yep, he tested second, while it is of benefit I think his build indicated that it would have been higher regardless however he didn't do the endurance testing of as many as possible at 60% of your peak force.

I don't need to have a super wide position which probably helps and I have very good dorsiflexion range. I feel like my body is falling apart at times with all of my calcification and arthritis issues but in some areas I am as good as ever lol.

I can't even imagine doing a primal squat. You are an excellent example for the others in your class, Tru.

damn, sitting here checking diaries and started snacking on the nuts sitting on my desk, serves myself right for not removing them last time I ate a few too many.

Also got a new coaching client today :hurray:

Thanks Cate and Vic

Spent the morning coaching then into town to exchange business cards with a registered dietitian who is also mobile in the same area I am in.

I did not have time to get a camera out but one of the Wedge Tails that nest down in the bottom paddock was sitting on the driveway glaring at the chooks in their covered run, he took off as I crossed the dam on my way up to the house.

Going to have something to eat and chill out playing some computer games before the afternoon chaos of Martial Arts.

Back