My Road Back

Day 46
14/5/2021
135.1kgs (297.8lbs)

Hmmm... well, after a day with so much good eating and long walking, but I can only attribute this weigh in to sheer volume of food.

Started the day with the banh mi and it was pretty busy at work, so I wasn't tempted to graze or snack... had two beef patties over the course of the day. Ended up having a few drinks as I watched the rugby league, and was invited to a mate's place after the game to have a go at his VR games... played a boxing game that left me exhausted lol.... it was like a rigorous workout!

It was late when I left, after midnight, but I still walked home... And there were no buses at any point of the journey, so I ended up doing a full 10km walk home.

If not for the bloody drinking, it'd have been a home run!

Day 47
15/5/2021
133.6kgs (294.8lbs)

Better, although I got home so late after my long walk, I felt pretty run down when I woke up. Same banh mi for breakfast and burger patty for lunch. The drinking only got worse unfortunately... After work I got pretty sauced and I unfortunately didn't manage the whole walk home... no different from last Saturday in that respect... although if there is a plus, I didn't blow out my diet... but truth be told, I was bloody steaming when I got home... most inglorious indeed.

Day 48
16/5/2021
132.2kgs (291.4lbs)

Well, dehydration from excess drinking must certainly have played a part, but the control with the eating has to be acknowledged!

I slept off much of the day and when it came time to eat, I had a banh mi around breakfast time and some low carb yoghurts, before falling back asleep watching episodes of The Sopranos. Around dinner time, I cooked up two serves of slendier diet noodles... they're super low carb, made from konjac. According to the packet they're a good substitute for pasta, but I've never enjoyed them that way... they do, however, work fantastically as a substitute for noodles! I ordered some Panang chicken curry and fish cakes from my local Thai shop and made myself a big feed of keto-friendly Thai!

I hit the hay very early, as I had to start at 3am the next morning.

Day 49
17/5/2021

I woke up at 1am and took an uber into work, and the Master's Rome final was on TV, Djokovic vs Nadal... I had about four hours worth of chores to do, overall between my workload, the tennis final and after drinks, I was there for about ten hours... and I drank way too much. On the way home, I ate very stupidly... plenty of food... I suppose there's some small victory in the fact that in 49 days there's been no burgers and fries, no big pasta cookups, no Indian curry with cheese naan and all the fixings... But my blowouts have been about carbs and volume. I got home in the early afternoon and ate like a stupid idiot, then fell asleep until about 5pm... and woke up grappling with a lot of negative feelings... I did not feel good, physically or mentally... I layed around for the rest of the night surrounded by mess and feeling pretty low...

Day 50
18/5/2021
136.1kgs (300lbs)

Ah the damned 300's. I deserve it.

I woke up with all the same negative feelings of the night before... I deliberately set my alarm an hour earlier so I could ease myself into the day... I just wanted to hang there like a sorry sack of crap... but talked myself into getting out the door a little earlier than normal and getting right back on the horse.

I fasted most of the day, partially due to not being hungry) until about 6:30pm, and after a physical day of work stopped by the foodcourt and had six small pieces of takoyaki and a few pieces of chicken kara'age... I had three low carb ciders on the 8km walk home.

Only way to follow up a bad day is a good one. I do have to cut down on drinking, and the foodcourt isn't ideal, but there are positives.... I have to remind myself that, as above, I haven't had any of the things I was really addicted to, like the huge feasts of junk, in nearly two months... If I can train myself off those, I can train myself off anything! I hope to be around 134 tomorrow, but we'll see... Hopefully the bad weigh in is partially due to goop and fluid.

Weighing yourself the morning after the night before always hurts. But at least you were honest with yourself.

Weighing yourself the morning after the night before always hurts. But at least you were honest with yourself.
Yeah, it's key! There are times when, if I've been pretty good but know there'll be something that might corrupt the weigh in (like inadequate sleep) I'll skip it... but in examples like this weekend, I should damn well show up and take my medicine!

Good for you taking your medicine & getting on those scales. I'm going to try for more days without any wine. Do you want to join me? It's a habit I need to cut down on as it's stopping me from losing weight. Maybe try for 3 days each week without any alcohol? I'm starting today.

Good for you taking your medicine & getting on those scales. I'm going to try for more days without any wine. Do you want to join me? It's a habit I need to cut down on as it's stopping me from losing weight. Maybe try for 3 days each week without any alcohol? I'm starting today.
Hmmmm, that sounds like a great idea! Although I'm having a hard time figuring out which days.... Monday is a gimme, and Friday would probably be wise too!

I'm keen, I might try starting from next week!

Day 51
19/5/2021
134.4kgs (296.3lbs)

That's a bit better... I've decided to try to avoid meat for a little while, not sure what the end goal is, but I've had success with this approach before, mainly that it helped me avoid some of my usual pitfalls, and for some reason it's always seemed to help on the scales too.

And, full disclosure, I watched the Game Changers documentary again lol... I watched it first when it was new, and found much of the material interesting, and for a good while I managed to stick to a 5 days vegetarian, 2 days meat programme.

I had a tofu and vege banh mi for breakfast and picked up three teriyaki tofu maki rolls from the local sushi shop, having one with breakfast and two at lunch... they put way more leafy greens and salad on the vegetarian banh mi, and I guess some carbohydrates over lunch is better than having a delicious, fatty burger patty.

I had three more low carb ciders on the walk home. I had good, big daily drops in weight from the meat diet of last week, so I look forward to seeing the results of this. It will be telling!

Day 57
25/5/2021
133.3kgs (293.9lbs)

Well, been a few days since I checked in, and I can officially say, despite being only about a kgs over my personal best, that my "experiment" with alcohol was a failure... I regularly hit 30,000 steps last week (thanks to a guy who showed me the fitness app built into my iphone), but as the week went on my drinking got out of control, and without going into too many tedious details, I spent yesterday the same as I spent the Monday before: laying around, surrounded by mess, grappling with some low feelings.

So, I made a decision to take another break from alcohol. Today was day one, and it was not easy. I wasn't any kind of hungover, but that familiar empty, flatness hung around all day.

I stayed true to my vegetarian diet (even though I broke it a couple of times in among the drinking), I skipped breakfast and had some flatbreads with hummus for lunch, before deciding to have one more night of being pitiful before charging back into the diet and exercise regime.

I didn't walk home tonight, instead opting to pick up a small amount of sushi (two tofu maki rolls and three vegetable tempura nigiri) and about 200g of konjak noodles to enjoy while watching episodes of the Sopranos.

My spirits are much higher as I write this and I look forward to hooking into my tofu and salad banh mi for breakfast tomorrow.

We never stop learning. Having a rest from alcohol will be good for you & if you think of it as just a rest it won't feel like such a hardship. I had a rest from it yesterday & think I will again today.

We never stop learning. Having a rest from alcohol will be good for you & if you think of it as just a rest it won't feel like such a hardship. I had a rest from it yesterday & think I will again today.
Yes! Awesome effort!
When you offered for me to join in on your 3/4 challenge I had already been drinking for two days
At the moment I feel no temptation to drink, but I have to have a plan to bring in when the day comes that I do.

Day 58
26/5/2021
134.4kgs (296.3lbs)

Well, nothing so wrong with that! The sushi last night was worth it.

Had a honey soy tofu and salad banh mi for breakfast (although the honey soy was a bit sweet) and my three maki rolls for lunch (two tofu and one vege tempura).

I finished work and picked up tomorrow's sushi rolls (as it saves me from making two stops on the way to work tomorrow) but I must admit I caved a little and picked up two tempura vege nigiri as well, with the intention of eating them when I got home... I did my 8km walk, and thought to myself that the day would be a real slam dunk if I left the two pieces of nigiri for tomorrow...

But I ate them lol... Couldn't have been more than a small, un-heaped handful of rice between them, so I'm not that worried... but next time I probably won't pick them up.

Good day all in all, and no drinking!

Sounds like a good day and a good weigh-in!
Yep! gotta be positive and note that I really didn't gain any weight from the weeks of drinking (which certainly brought some silly eating along the way), but I'm done treading water for now! Time for a good, steady period of progress!

Just weighed in at 132.8, so .6 away from the personal best, with everything to work for!

Day 29
27/5/2021
132.8kgs (292.8lbs)

Up bright and early to do some household chores before work, and left as early as I could to grab a tofu, salad and egg banh mi... Headed into work and ate as soon as I arrived... had temptations to eat chips over the day, and resisted... three maki rolls for lunch (two tofu and one tempura vege)... moderately physical day at work, not a punish of the highest order.

Walked home, the full 8kms, and avoided all foodcourt temptations! As I neared home I decided I'd need some diet soft drink while I watched a Sopranos episode, so stopped into the supermarket and I'm pleased to say I didn't buy any low carb yoghurt, no keto donut... a far cry from earlier weeks when every commute home became either a foodcourt or supermarket slip up... in fact I didn't snack at all, all day!

I did pick up two frozen vegetarian meals though, for consumption at a later date... A vegetarian lasagne and a vegan spaghetti and fake meatballs... The latter only had about 30g of carbs.

Again, no drinking. Had two instant miso soups and a bottle of sugar free fanta as I watched TV when I got home.

That is one very good day! :)

Yep I was very motivated! Pleased with my discipline!

Day 60
28/5/2021
132.1kgs (291.2lbs)

Ooooh, .1 of a kilogram better than the previous personal best lol... I was pretty hungry when I woke up, which I think is a good sign... and I had one f the four maki rolls I brought home, before grabbing a egg, tofu and salad banh mi. I knew it would be busy at work, as it usually is on a Friday, so I wouldn't get my usual 2pm lunch break. I used this as a half-assed excuse to eat the rest of my vegetarian maki rolls at about 11:45am, before the lunch business kicked off.

This came back to bite me at 5pm when I finally went on a break and I was starving... I went to the convenience store looking for some peanuts, or something else low in carbs, and picked up a bag of these things called "chickpea twists", which had a five health star rating and had about 30g carbs overall... moderately carby, but I find that not all carbs are equal.

It was very busy at work and I ended up doing a 13 hour shift, by the time I walked out it was almost 10pm... I walked part of my 8km walk home, but, knowing I'd hate getting home after midnight, and that if I went too far into the walk I'd get into a part where the public transport would've been full of noisy Friday night party drunks... so, I hopped a train between two points which shortened my overall steps by about 5000 for the day.

Weighed in at the end of the day at 132.2, which is great, considering the water you're usually carrying by the end of the day.

Another good day of smart choices. All carbs are certainly not equal. Well done, Guy.

Back