My Road Back

Thanks for the encouraging words, @Cate and @LaMaria!

I'm pleased with my week overall and the scales reflected it, as with those few changes I've now shattered my personal best and broken into the 120's! Although I did slip up with alcohol.

Day 63
31/5/2021
129.4kgs (285.3lbs)

Goodbye 130's!

On Saturday I had a big vegetarian sushi breakfast, two teriyaki tofu maki rolls, two vege tempura maki rolls and two tempura vege nigiri... pretty busy day at work again and worked about an eleven hour day... right towards the end I had to sort out a situation with some angry drunk dude (being the 285lb guy on staff) and it was just a great big bloody headache, so I decided to treat myself to a couple of drinks as I watched the game.

I walked almost all the way home, got about 28,000 steps in, and drank some sugar free seltzers on the way home.

Sunday morning I had one of my frozen vegetarian meals for breakfast, the vegan spaghetti and meatballs, but I added cheese... Got to work and had a tofu and egg banh mi before doing a few hours of work. I still had the "drinky" feeling and unfortunately spent about 6 hours after work drinking, mostly sugar free seltzers. Also ate some potato chips.

Woke up this morning and weighed in as above, and ate my other vegetarian meal, the lasagne, with cheese added lol... around lunchtime I had four frozen fish pieces before taking a bit of a nap, and treated myself a little for dinner... I had some tofu cashew nut stir fry with konjak noodles, so packed with veggies and low carb. I had a ritter sport chocolate after dinner.

I'll probably wake up back over the 130 tomorrow morning, but that's an awesome start to a new week.

I'll be back on the no booze thing.

Congratulations on breaking through 130! Shame about the alcohol calories but what´s done is done.

Yay for being in the 120s. If you aren't there this morning you know why & you soon will be back there in a flash :)

Yay for being in the 120s. If you aren't there this morning you know why & you soon will be back there in a flash :)
Exactly! To be honest, I'm happy to make a habit of Monday night dinner as a reward and just cop a bad weigh in as a result!

Day 64
1/6/2021
131.2kgs (289.2lbs)

Well, back in the 130's for now, but on the upside it's funny to think of this as a "bad" weigh in when I grappled with 135 for so long!

I sort of mis-timed my morning today and had to improvise a bit with my diet... I missed both the good banh mi shops on the way to work and knew I wouldn't have time to pick up sushi, either.

At my train station there's a pretty good, busy little cafe that pumps out hot coffee, sandwiches and other stuff of that ilk for the masses of people on their way into the city. I know their egg salad sandwiches are great, so I picked up two, with the idea of eating both for breakfast (as they're not as filling as a banh mi with egg and tofu), but decided to get fancy and have one for lunch and one for dinner... it probably wasn't a practical idea as it left me pretty hungry all day, which is a diet enemy, especially as it was the most physical day of the week in terms of heavy lifting... between breakfast and lunch I ate a granny smith apple, and after lunch I snacked on a 45g bag of potato chips (about 25g of carbs) and a small bag of mixed raw nuts. I put this down to just trying too much in terms of portion sizing.

I decided that in lieu of a better plan I'd continue what worked last week, and on the walk home, picked up my vegetarian sushi for the following day!

Walked home as normal and reached about 25,000 steps... probably due to a slightly shorter work day. Whatever I lacked in steps I certainly compensated in heavy lifting!

Weighed in at 130.9kgs, lighter than morning weigh in, which is a great sign.

Day 65
2/6/2021
129.8kgs (286.2lbs)

Straight back into the 120's and feeling good!

I had a banh mi for breakfast with egg and tofu along with one of my three vegetarian maki rolls and immediately felt the difference between that and yesterday's breakfast. I felt absolutely stuffed with no temptation to snack at all. Had my other three vegetarian maki rolls for lunch and no other snacks for the day. It's only been a few days since I ate this intake for a day but I can't believe how full I felt... what a difference a day makes, right?

I got right out the door after work, despite having mates around offering me a drink, and set off on my walk home.

Unfortunately while walking my resolve wasn't the same and I succumbed to the temptation to drink, picking up four low carb ciders. I drank them but reminded myself not to be too negative, that it was still an extremely good day and that I hadn't ruined it just by having a few low sugar standard drinks. I actually remembered @Cate 's advice in that respect, that if you set realistic goals around drinking it won't seem so dire!

Weighed in at 129.4kgs when I got home, second day in a row to be lighter at night than in the morning! I hope to see 128 tomorrow!

Had my other three vegetarian maki rolls for lunch and no other snacks for the day. It's only been a few days since I ate this intake for a day but I can't believe how full I felt... what a difference a day makes, right?
I think this is how we eventually start to crave the stuff that's good for us. I still mess up plenty of times but I no longer want to have the bad-for-me stuff three times a day every day. I crave veggies and proper protein!

I think this is how we eventually start to crave the stuff that's good for us. I still mess up plenty of times but I no longer want to have the bad-for-me stuff three times a day every day. I crave veggies and proper protein!
I, while having my share of slip ups (this weekend included) I haven't once thought of getting the stuff which were my dietary crutches a few months back!

I think it's quite exciting to see how well you're doing & I can imagine how much your body is saying thank you :)
I think it would have through the week, but once again I fell off the wagon with alcohol.

The weeks wasn't without it's triumphs though!

Day 70
7/6/2021
129.4kgs (285.3lbs)

Treading water... After a good start I absolutely fell off the wagon with the drinking... it all started on Thursday night; a rainy, drizzly, relaxing evening that is my favourite for walking... I chose out some tunes that complimented the rainy night, and I just couldn't resist the low carb ciders... I also zig-zagged all about and extended the walk as much as possible, blowing my steps out to 35,000 for the day, and picking up even more ciders in the process....

That made three days of walking in a row and I managed it for Friday and Saturday too, reaching as low as the 127's for weight... before my drinking caught up with me and I finally made a diet booboo... I picked up some vegetarian sushi before the walk home on Saturday night, and just before arriving home picked up a box of vegetarian spring rolls and fried rice, eating only about half of it.

For the last two days I've basically eaten normally (vegetarian), but not abstained from carbs at all, eaten a substantial dinner, the only exception being two big bags of potato chips over the two days... So it hasn't been good eating, but it hasn't been disastrous.

I weighed in at 130.2kgs tonight, after an entire day of eating and drinking, so I have high hopes to weigh in at 129.something for the start of the new weeks, which would put me 2kgs better as a jump off point for a new week.

Time to dust myself off and get back on track!

It sucks, but it happens. Hopefully not too often. Can you pinpoint what caused you to "give in"?

We never stop learning about ourselves & I don't know anyone who is perfect. I never thought I would say to stop walking as much, but I only mean if it means buying more cider :D Maybe you had better map out some walks that don't go past alcohol outlets ;)

It sucks, but it happens. Hopefully not too often. Can you pinpoint what caused you to "give in"?
It's a combination of my job and the rain... I wait months for these rainy periods, and I know I love having a few ciders on the journey as I listen to music!

There's more rain forecast this week (including tonight) and truth be told, I won't blame myself too much for having a few low carb ciders as long as I actually do my walks... It so rarely rains here it would actually be one of the most sustainable "cheat day" protocols ever lol...

We never stop learning about ourselves & I don't know anyone who is perfect. I never thought I would say to stop walking as much, but I only mean if it means buying more cider :D Maybe you had better map out some walks that don't go past alcohol outlets ;)

Lol you have a point! I must get the drinking under control, but then again, every other part of my lifestyle is steadily improving, including my weight!

When the rain stops, I simply must learn to walk past all the liquor stores without buying any booze... Trying to find a route bereft of any is just about impossible... If I can learn to resist the foodcourts, I can learn to resist anything!

Day 71
8/6/2021
129.1kgs (284.6lbs)

Alright, despite all the drinking and two days of vegetarian moderate silliness, my "bad weigh in" for this week is over 2kgs better than last week! One of the main reasons I can think of, which I didn't mention in my condensed entry of last week, is that I've dispensed with the daily sushi meal, instead choosing to eat a smallish serving of hommus with flatbread for lunch each day... and it seems as though, with all things taken into account, I've actually managed some real weight loss since last Monday.

Today I really felt like the egg salad sandwiches I had last week for breakfast, so I bought two of them , this time eating both for breakfast. I had some hommus and flatbreads for lunch and then a granny smith apple at about 3pm...

Again, did the walk home through the rain and made about 28,000 steps, and once again, drank some low carb ciders. Weighed 128.5kgs at the end of the day, so lighter than in the morning.

As long as it´s a conscious decision it´s up to you!

In this situation it is, but the problem is it can get out of control... While I fell off the wagon last week with drinking, the Monday hangover wasn't nearly as bad as previous weeks, in fact I was quite productive! But I know I'd never have made those diet decisions without the booze...

Moderation is a very tough nut to crack! And I know how quickly it can go wrong with alcohol!

I guess I'll try my best to keep the consumption to a normal, healthy level this week, but best laid plans and all that... I certainly don't want that awful anxiety-ridden hangover I gave myself a couple of times last month!

Moderation is a very tough nut to crack!
Ain´t that the truth... I´ve been active on this forum for 7 years (!) and I´m still working on it. Although admittedly it´s easier to work on with 40 pounds less weight to worry about.

Back