Matt's Diary pt 2 Electric Boogaloo

Weight for 5/2/2023: 293.4

Breakfast: 4 Servings of Special K Cereal (640 cal.), 2 Servings of 1% Milk (200 cal.), 4 Cups of Coffee (120 cal.)

Lunch: 1 Medium Plate (Sizzling Shrimp (130 cal.), Chow Mein (510 Cal.), Black Pepper Angus Steak (180 cal.)) From Panda Express.

Dinner: 1/2 of a Serving of Meatloaf (520 cal.)

Drinks: 2 cans of Pepsi Zero (0 cal.), 3 cups of Diet Peach Snapple ( 10 cal.)

Exercise: 1 Hour of Walking

Estimated total calories: 2330 (60 cal. above 2270)

I did fairly well today. I had to take off early because my father had cataract surgery and wanted me to babysit him, even though he did need to. I wasn't looking froward to that but he said he was fine, so I didn't have to. Also I tried to put up some blinds I bought and it turns out I'll probably pay to have someone install them.

Yeah they have a lot of Cauliflower alternatives to different foods like cauliflower mashed potatoes, even cauliflower buffalo wings!
Cauliflower wings are nice (although a bad meat substitute because they hardly have any protein) and cauliflower mash is quite good as well as long as you don't pretend they're real chicken wings or potato mash. But risotto I just don't see: the whole point of risotto is to have lots of starch from the short-grain rice and then you stir it a lot to make the end product nice and creamy. That wouldn't work with a low-carb alternative like cauliflower unless you make a roux to go with it - which would kind of defeat the purpose.

Weight for 5/3/2023: 293.4

Breakfast: 4 Servings of Cereal ( 640 cal.), 2 cups of 1% Milk (220 cal.), 2 Pieces of Toast (200 cal.), 4 cups of Coffee (120 cal.)

Lunch: 1 Salad w/Shrimp and Ranch Dressing (300 cal.), Penne w/Meat Sauce (400 cal.), Linguine w/ Marinara (340 cal.)

Dinner: 1 Taco Salad (Shrimp, Steak Strips, Lettuce, Sour Cream, Guacamole and Salsa (350 cal.))

Snack: 3 Chocolate Chip Cookies (450 cal.)

Drinks: 3 Pepsi Zeros ( 0 cal.)

Exercise: 1 Hour 30 Minutes of Walking

Estimated total calories: 3020 (750 cal. over 2270)

I ate a little too much, I had 2 small meals for lunch. I did get some exercise walking and putting together a cat condo for Toby.

Cauliflower wings are nice (although a bad meat substitute because they hardly have any protein) and cauliflower mash is quite good as well as long as you don't pretend they're real chicken wings or potato mash. But risotto I just don't see: the whole point of risotto is to have lots of starch from the short-grain rice and then you stir it a lot to make the end product nice and creamy. That wouldn't work with a low-carb alternative like cauliflower unless you make a roux to go with it - which would kind of defeat the purpose.
I've never actually had risotto, I just see them making it on Hells Kitchen and it looked good.

Risotto is delightful! Well, the real thing is, anyway. No way to make it diet friendly without changing the character of the dish completely though.

Weight for 5/4/2023: 292.8

Breakfast: 2 Servings of Cereal (320 cal.), 2 cups of 1% Milk (200 cal.), 6 Fruit Strips (360 cal.), 2 cups of Coffee (60 cal.)

Snack: 2 Servings of Dried Cranberries (280 cal.)

Lunch: Meat loaf and Mashed Potatoes (430 cal.)

Snack: 1 Bag of Grandmas Cookies (530 cal.)

Dinner: Fajita Steak Strips w/ Mediterranean Vegetable Mix and Rice (450), 1 side of Lima Beans (100 cal.)

20230504_175311.jpg

Drinks: 2 Pepsi Zeroes, 48 oz of Water

Exercise: NA

Estimated total calories: 3040

May the 4th be with you! I would have done better without the cookies. Also I know that looks like a lot in the photo but I only ate portion of it and I plan on eating the rest for lunch tomorrow.

Risotto is delightful! Well, the real thing is, anyway. No way to make it diet friendly without changing the character of the dish completely though.

I'm tempted to make some I have some rice, well minute rice and some broth left over (beef and vegetable). All I need to cheese.

Isn't it always so with cheffy recipes? Half the reason fancy restaurants have such small portions seem to they're all butter and cream.

Adding more fibrous/green veggies to your dinner might help with that.
I kept thinking about this, I didn't know what you meant with fibrous veggies so I had to look it up. I plan on getting some when I go shopping Saturday. I'm thinking of getting eggplant since I've wanted to try it for a while and while I'm not sure if its fibrous I want to get some artichoke.

I'm tempted to make some I have some rice, well minute rice and some broth left over (beef and vegetable). All I need to cheese.
Risotto would typically be made with shortgrain rice (because of the starch), stock, wine, cheese, and a good amount of fat. I've tried making reasonably healthy imitations but they don't compare to the real thing.
I kept thinking about this, I didn't know what you meant with fibrous veggies so I had to look it up.
All plants have fiber but brown lentils and greens have a lot more than, say, potatoes and cucumber. Most vegetables are good for bulking up meals without adding too many calories though.

Weight for 5/5/2023: 291.8

Breakfast: 2 Bacon, Egg and Cheese Croissants (1180 cal.), 1 side of Tater Tots (250 cal.), 1 Bottle of Orange Juice (160 cal.), 4 Cups of Coffee (100 cal.)

Lunch/Dinner: Fajita Steak Strips w/ Mediterranean Vegetable Mix and Rice (450), 1 side of Lima Beans (300 cal.)

Drinks: 1 Old Fashioned (150 cal.), 3 Rum and Cokes (550 cal.)

Exercise: NA

Estimated total calories: 2500 (230 cal. over 2270)

Happy Cinco De Mayo! I messed a little for breakfast, but I did a course correction later and had the rest of Thursdays dinner and the rest of my lima beans. Surprisingly I didn't eat any Mexican Food.

I finally gave up on hanging up the blinds and luckily I was able to take them back.

Last edited:
Risotto would typically be made with shortgrain rice (because of the starch), stock, wine, cheese, and a good amount of fat. I've tried making reasonably healthy imitations but they don't compare to the real thing.

I'll have to try it one day. I need to do something with this box of Beef broth and Vegetable broth I got when I had my colonoscopy back in February.

All plants have fiber but brown lentils and greens have a lot more than, say, potatoes and cucumber. Most vegetables are good for bulking up meals without adding too many calories though.

I usually eat 1 side of Potatoes, and then 1 side of Greens, I'll probably have to replace the potatoes with greens or maybe have 3 sides.

Weight for 5/6/2023: 291.8

Breakfast: 6 strips of Bacon (240 cal.), 3 Fried Eggs (210 cal.), 1 side of Hashed Brown Potatoes (70 cal.), 2 Croissants w/Jelly (550 cal.), 2 Cups of Coffee (60 cal.)

Lunch: 1/4 lb. Hot Dog from Wawa (450 cal.), 1 Large Can of Cherry Coke (200 cal.), 1 can of Pepsi (150 cal.)

Snack 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies from 7-11 (330 cal.)

Dinner: Teriyaki Black Pepper Salmon, w/ 1 Extra piece of Salmon (960 cal.)

Drinks: 4 Rum and Cokes (500 cal.)

Exercise: 20 Minutes of Walking.

Estimated total calories: 3720 (1450 cal. over 2270)

I did awful today. I was planning on eating junk but I couldn't resist the hot dog or the sweets. Lately I have had a very over active sweet tooth.

Weight for 5/7/2023: 292.6

Breakfast: 1 Traditional Breakfast (2 Scrambled Eggs, 2 Pieces of Sausage, 1 side of Hashed Brown Potatoes (1000 cal.), 2 Lemon Ricotta Pancakes w/ Syrup (1250 cal.), 1 Cup of Orange Juice (140 cal.)

Lunch/Dinner: 1 Double Quarter Pounder meal w/ Large Dr. Pepper (1510 cal.)

Drinks : 2 Large Cans of Cherry Coke (400 cal.)

Exercise: 1 Hour 20 Minutes of Walking.

Estimated total calories: 4300( 2030 cal. over 2270)

Wow. I ate double the amount I should have. I wasn't planning on having the McDonalds, but I was thirsty and wanted a drink and I told myself I'd just get a Dr. Pepper and as you see that didn't work out. I should start carrying a water bottle with me and maybe find a healthier type of sweet.

Last edited:
Wow. I ate double the amount I should have. I wasn't planning on having the McDonalds, but I was thirsty and wanted a drink and I told myself I'd just get a Dr. Pepper and as you see that didn't work out. I should start carrying a water bottle with me and maybe find a healthier type of sweet.
Carrying a water bottle sounds like a very good idea, Matt & not stepping into Mcdonald's. Fruit is a great sweet.

Weight for 5/8/2023: 293.8

Breakfast: 2 Croissants w/ Jelly (550 cal.), 2 servings of Cereal (300 cal.), 2 servings of 1% Milk (220 cal.), 4 cups of Coffee (100 cal.)

Lunch: Wegmans Singapore Noodles with Chicken & Shrimp (800 cal.)

Dinner: Meatballs w/Zucchini Noodles and Vodka Sauce (430 cal.), 4 slices of Sourdough Garlic Bread (630 cal.)

Drinks : 2 cups of Pepsi Zero

Exercise: 1 Hour 30 Minutes of Walking.

Estimated total calories: 3030 (760 cal. over 2270)

Sorry about the late entry. A little to much calories, Probably could have done without the toast. However I did do a lot walking which was good.

Do you not like the flavor of light sodas or do they upset your stomach?
Some light sodas are better then others. Pepsi Zero is pretty good. I tried Zero Sugar Dr. Pepper on Saturday but it was nasty.

Weight for 5/9/2023: 294.6

Breakfast: 4 Servings of Cereal (600 cal.), 2 Servings of 1% Milk (200 cal.), 4 cups of Coffee (100 cal.)

Lunch: Salad w/ Shrimp and Fig Balsamic Dressing (150 cal.), 1 Wegmans EZ Meal (Braised Beef w/Sweet Potatoes and Corn 510 cal.)

Snack: 5 Target Good and Gather Fruit Strips ( 300 cal.)

Dinner: Roast Chicken Breast (150 cal.), 1 side of Mashed Potatoes (170 cal.), 2 Servings of Lima Beans (200 cal.) 2 slices of Sourdough Garlic Toast (300 cal.)

Snack: 5 Navel Oranges (300 cal.)

Drinks : 2 cups of Pepsi Zero, 1 cup of Diet Snapple, 20 oz. of Water.

Exercise: 1 Hour of Walking.

Estimated total calories: 2980 (710 cal. over 2270)

I need to watch the calories and maybe snack less. I walked less than yesterday but I walked a brisker pace than before. What's weird is that I had a craving for oranges after walking/

Last edited:
Maybe you were dehydrated? Fruit is just the right combination of sweet and watery sometimes and 300 calories of oranges are a lot more volume than 300 calories of fruit strips!

You probably were dehydrated, Matt. I love oranges. I also like zero-sugar tonic water & low-sugar ginger beer. You could make some ice blocks out of citrus juice & mint to add to water in summer. I make big ones & add one to a big glass of diet tonic water & it's really refreshing.

Back