Liza

I love that getting a bike has introduced more fun into your life. I used to love riding a bike! It's lovely hearing you sound happier xo

Hey Liza, I can sympathize with your back problems. I'm finding that as I get older lots of joints and things hurt. I believe you are doing the right thing, stretching etc. Experimenting with different sleeping positions and exercises helps me.

No expert here, but I think running is more for the young, lower impact exercise like biking or walking is probably better. After my knee surgery the doctor told me it was best that I didn't run. Since I haven't in many years its one easy instruction to take, and now I have a great excuse.

I've had that for a long time. I find that soft inserts with arch support really help me, pretty much eliminate the pain and let me do all the walking and hiking I want to do. Just simple over the counter things. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Best of luck with it, in my experience the aches and pains don't get better with age, but do give me something to work on...
Hey Rob, yeah my back's been an issue for years really--maybe since my 20's...but when i was running i had no issues..so I'm hoping if I can get back to that, my back will be better again. But yeah getting older and getting more aches and pains for sure!...but not ready to give up running yet. I have friends who have run into their 70's so i think it's a matter of me learning how to run smarter--take care of my joints while enjoying the run. I can definitely see not running after knee replacement though!

I do use the inserts now for PF and they do seem to be helping (though when i first put them in they actually made everything more painful!) I tried compression socks yesterday for my run and they too made it more painful and had to take them off just 5 minutes into my run, but I am hoping they will help things as I get used to them.

How lovely to hear that you're doing so well! Glad you're enjoying your bike too: variety in exercise is generally the best thing healthwise.
yes so good to get some variety in. I would love to add swimming...maybe that's the next challenge!

The main thing is that you are getting the healthy food in. Keep that up and all the rest will follow... you go girl!
Thanks Emily! I did pretty good yesterday stopping myself after 2 cookies...I was very tempted on some chocolate but realized i didn't need it at all--was just habit.
I love that getting a bike has introduced more fun into your life. I used to love riding a bike! It's lovely hearing you sound happier xo
Yes I am surprised at how fun and relaxing the bike riding is already. I can only imagine it will get better as I get more skilled at it.

So yesterday maybe overdid it a little with the walk-run. Went a little longer than planned and did have foot pain afterwards. Not terrible though and today feels ok...so who knows maybe it was just the right amount of push...it felt lovely to be running again as always. I don't mind the walk-run sequence at all--just nice to be able to run at all!
And yeah as mentioned above-trying out the compression socks...looks like they might take some getting used to but hopefully will help long-term.

Was a good day all round. Ate well, good movement.

Having a bike as an alternative should take some of the pressure off running since it's no longer your only cardio option. I could see that making the walk/runs more fun.

I'm so glad you managed a walk/run as I know that running makes you feel so good. Hopefully, you will work out how to do that, without pain. You are giving it your best shot.
Well done on a good day Liza xo

Having a bike as an alternative should take some of the pressure off running since it's no longer your only cardio option. I could see that making the walk/runs more fun.
Yeah exactly--the bike is kind of fun as it's kind of like when I started running. Aiming for small hills, increasing strength and endurance...it's nice to get that challenge again and should balance out the running nicely.

Well done on the good day and hope the socks start to work better for you.
Thanks--yeah I wore the socks around the house in the morning and am wearing them again this morning. I'm not sure if they might just need to stretch out a bit as I do have wide feet...but they are already feeling better just around the house so hopefully when i take them running next they will be better.
I'm so glad you managed a walk/run as I know that running makes you feel so good. Hopefully, you will work out how to do that, without pain. You are giving it your best shot.
Well done on a good day Liza xo
Yeah I think if I just take things slow and slowly build up i should be back to running pain-free soon again. I have it in mind to aim to build up to 10 km straight jogging by the fall. But, yeah, won't push it!

Yesterday was another little bike ride. Did my challenge hill again and it's going better as I get better at getting in the proper gear beforehand. Also raised the seat a little on my bike as I had it too low. I like having this hill nearby to practice on as it's a quiet street and just perfect to get comfy on before I tackle the more well-trafficked hills in front of people! lol

A guy I used to run by all the time saw me out on it and he gave me some nice tips and good encouragement. He also used to run until he injured himself and then turned to biking. I always love that I have a great little crew of supporters on my route!

Over-did the sweets yesterday, but ate well other than that. And had a lovely day all round. I think I over-did the sweets because of fatigue. That is one of my downfalls. I think next week I will try again to start logging in a few days on cronometer to see how I'm doing overall calorie and protein wise.

Oh and yesterday harvested my first raspberries of the season! Yum!

Yay for raspberries. I definitely think more exercise makes me crave a fast energy food, which is always sugar of course. I had a trainer that specifically recommended fage yoghurts for this - really heavy and full of protein.

Adding the bike to your exercise regime has added some extra sparkle.
"I always love that I have a great little crew of supporters on my route!"
I love that you have that too :)

the bike is kind of fun as it's kind of like when I started running. Aiming for small hills, increasing strength and endurance...it's nice to get that challenge again and should balance out the running nicely.
I used to ride my bike a lot, and it is fun. Also easier on the joints than running. I should start riding it more, but the gym seems to suck up all my exercise time.
yesterday harvested my first raspberries of the season! Yum!
Nothing better than homegrown! And raspberries are great!

Official weigh-in day--145 pds, bodyfat-26%
Happy with that as it looks like possibly my measurements are coming down. Lovely.

How lovely to get spontaneous encouragement on your training round!
Yeah it's so great--i love my neighborhood--so many great people!
Yay for raspberries. I definitely think more exercise makes me crave a fast energy food, which is always sugar of course. I had a trainer that specifically recommended fage yoghurts for this - really heavy and full of protein.
Yes definitely to the protein. I try to get a good dose of protein within 30 minutes of returning from a run or workout as it's supposed to help with recovery. My sugar cravings are more when I haven't slept enough and I'm that sort of tired--just trying to stay awake...
Adding the bike to your exercise regime has added some extra sparkle.
"I always love that I have a great little crew of supporters on my route!"
I love that you have that too :)
I do feel it really has added that extra sparkle Cate-you're right. As much as I love running there was less interesting challenge in it--the bike has sparked my interest and every new development feels exciting!
I used to ride my bike a lot, and it is fun. Also easier on the joints than running. I should start riding it more, but the gym seems to suck up all my exercise time.

Nothing better than homegrown! And raspberries are great!
Well if you enjoy the gym it seems like there's no reason to go back to biking. I don't enjoy gyms--I love being outdoors for my exercise time so the biking and running are really good fits for me. And yes! raspberries might be my favorite!

So yesterday was pretty good. I have a meeting on Friday mornings so that means I don't get out for a walk/run/bike ride...and i do find that sort of makes me less happy and kind of agitated as I move on with the day...but other than that the day worked out well. And I channelled that agitated energy into a big evening clean up of my place which it desperately needed. Still needs more cleaning. Maybe today I can finish it off. Always makes me feel so much better when things are clean and tidy!

Trying for a walk-run this morning. Will let you all know how it goes!

Official weigh-in day--145 pds, bodyfat-26%
Happy with that as it looks like possibly my measurements are coming down. Lovely.
Well done, Liza 👏
I do feel it really has added that extra sparkle Cate-you're right. As much as I love running there was less interesting challenge in it--the bike has sparked my interest and every new development feels exciting!
I love that!
...but other than that the day worked out well. And I channelled that agitated energy into a big evening clean up of my place which it desperately needed. Still needs more cleaning. Maybe today I can finish it off. Always makes me feel so much better when things are clean and tidy!
Good thinking, Liza :)
Trying for a walk-run this morning. Will let you all know how it goes!
Hope it goes well for you xo

Thanks @Emilyrose, @Cate and @Llama
The walk-run went well. Upped the ratio to 3:1, did that for 7 rounds and then added in an hour of straight walking. Again the compression socks had to come off after 5 minutes. I'm not sure whats going on there as they are comfy around the house--might be that they're rubbing on something when I run. Oh well.
My feet had some pain by the end of that session but not much and fully recovered by today so that means I can continue to increase.
Yesterday's food was good. I didn't go out so not many temptations around, but I do have dark chocolate in the house and didn't bother with that so that's good. Protein levels fell a little short. Not too bad, but really should be including the protein powder regularly but esp on walk-run days.
Hoping for strength and stretch this morning with a small bike ride.
Apartment getting cleaner and cleaner. i love that suddenly i'm feeling motivated to do all the hidden corners as well as the obvious stuff. I love seeing it all get clearer.

I suggest you stick with 3:1 for a week or two before you increase further. Tendons take time to adjust and every time you do overdo it will set you back.

Liza said: "Jen--yes I've always found push-ups hard, so it was a really nice surprise to have built up to them without realizing I was doing that. I don't like knee push-ups as they always feel a little awkward to me, but Tru (and maybe llama?) had given me tips about building up to push-ups by doing incline push-ups--that actually felt much better than the knee ones for me." Oh this sounds very interesting! Is that like push-ups against a wall, I would like to learn about that!

I have been having issues with the forum not sending me emails on threads I was watching, it just stopped all of a sudden last week, so there must be some issues with that too?

I am glad you are doing well Liza, your life actually sounds very nice, kind of a combination of peaceful and active if that makes sense. Seems like you are quite musically gifted as well. Glad things are feeling balanced and fulfilling!

I suggest you stick with 3:1 for a week or two before you increase further. Tendons take time to adjust and every time you do overdo it will set you back.
Thanks for the tip--i will keep it in mind. The schedule I am following is specifically for runners returning after injury and one has to keep reassessing their pain levels as they move through the levels. They do recommend doing each level twice (with minimal pain and good recovery) though before moving on. I was going to just stick with doing each level once since I am mixing in some cycling instead of just straight running. The example they give has someone going out running 3 days in a row, so that makes more sense to repeat the levels twice before moving on....anyways i'll see how it goes! I know i'm pretty anxious to get back to my previous running habits but I also know that rushing the process will only set me back further...

Oh this sounds very interesting! Is that like push-ups against a wall, I would like to learn about that!

I am glad you are doing well Liza, your life actually sounds very nice, kind of a combination of peaceful and active if that makes sense. Seems like you are quite musically gifted as well. Glad things are feeling balanced and fulfilling!
Thanks Jen. The incline push-ups I did i used a chair to put my hands on. But yeah using the resistance bands to do other exercises that targeted the same muscles seemed to get me to full push ups and I actually preferred that over anything.

Yes my life right now is feeling so well balanced. It's easier in the spring/summer for me as my garden keeps me active, interested and busy and just people are out and about a lot so I get to mix more with people. I am a strong introvert but it's nice to have people around once in a while! haha

I'm not sure if I would call myself musically talented...but I do love music and love to include that as part of my days. The uke group is a lot of fun as we are all different levels and strengths but it is just about getting together and singing and having some laughs. The piano is a bit more of a challenge for me. i only started learning really as an adult a few years back. (i did have some background reading music before that) It's been a slow process, but definitely rewarding.

Yesterday's bike ride went well. I added a steep hill that I thought would be beyond me. My legs felt it for sure, but I felt so happy with my success with it. I feel like i will be able to do my running route with the bike pretty soon if my progress keeps up.

Ate well. Had treats but stopped myself after 2 cookies and some chocolate. That felt like a good amount.
Added in my protein powder but still fell short of protein! Will have to add more I guess...

Well done triumphing over that mountain! That's the best thing about starting something new: so many milestones.

Well done triumphing over that mountain! That's the best thing about starting something new: so many milestones.
Thanks! Yes I remember this same feeling when I started running--always feels so good to get to the next level!
I love that you are facing challenges & meeting them head-on, Liza & enjoying the process xo
Thanks Cate--yes enjoyment such a big factor for me. I don't think i could be one of those people to force myself through painful/boring routines just for the sake of health. It all has to make me happy!

Yesterday's walk-run went well (4:1, 5 rounds with 30 min walking added on the end, and another 30 min walking added in later in the day) Foot pain wasn't there at all (i didn't even bother trying with those compression socks again) Unfortunately though I put my back out after I came back! lol. I think i stretched badly or something. sigh. But it isn't out too badly and I'm just taking an anti-inflammatory every 8 hours or so to manage it. The big thing is when I do my back in now, I get a lot of fear and tense up a lot. That is fear from when I put it out about 10 years ago so severely that I could hardly move. Anyways the ant-inflammatory keeps it managed and helps me stop tensing up and making it worse.

Food choices were pretty good all day, but had 3 cookies and choc, instead of just 2 (which is my goal) Not too bad but would like to keep the treats at about the 300 calorie mark.

Not sure if I will keep today at purely walking, or do a walk-run session...sometimes those actually help my back even when it's acutely hurting--i think because I relax when I run.

Back