Liza

🤞 for the bike :)
It's great that you are feeling so good & strong & that you coped well with the walk/run. Yay!!!

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my...
haha well no lions and tigers happily but their are cougars around though I've never seen one thankfully!
Austrian hunters are very keen on shooting anything that moves in the forest so it's not wildlife I'm most worried about :p I'd be very nervous in areas with large predators!
Great to hear your arms are feeling so much stronger 🥳
ah yes, people with guns would definitely be more concerning! The bears here are black bears (no grizzlies here) and are generally very gentle and won't bother you. It is just in the spring when the mamas have their cubs that it is more of a concern. You don't want to surprise one so it's a matter of being aware and making noise. When I'm alone i'm pretty quiet so I just try to be aware and try to remember to make some noise now and then, especially when coming round a corner!
That is interesting, I never realized gardening could be such a good workout! Good to know!

My bar doesn't attach to a wall, like you I was afraid to do that. It is more like a 'station' you can also work your abs, you put your arms/elbows on these parts that 'stick' out and lift your knees. And then there is also the bar for the pull-ups. BUT the playground does work too!

I know exactly how you feel about this, for me when I was a decent runner, I just felt so healthy! Good for you Liza, I am glad you are on your way there!!!
yeah depends on what I am doing in the garden. The early spring often requires some good efforts made and so is a good workout. By now it's slowed down into an easy non-workout activity.
That pull up station sounds like the one I had been thinking of getting. I've heard good things about them but I think for me it probably would have been a waste of money and space (i live in a tiny space so am very conscious of what I choose to fill it up with!) That's one thing i like about the resistance bands is they are cheap and take up no space and give me a nice little workout!
🤞 for the bike :)
It's great that you are feeling so good & strong & that you coped well with the walk/run. Yay!!!
Well Cate, the bike finally happened!The one I had been originally hoping for fell through as well and fed up with it all, I decided to just go with the one that seemed 'good enough.' Cheap enough that i won't be overly concerned about it getting stolen (both because it won't be a targeted bike and also because it was cheap so even if it gets stolen i won't have lost much)
I was super happy getting on it and just riding around my neighborhood. I was a little afraid i wouldn't be able to ride at all, but as the saying goes--it's like riding a bike!
Now getting up the hills will be a whole other matter but should be an interesting challenge over time for sure! i'm looking forward to it. In the meantime i have a friend who is going to help me clean it up a little and teach me how to do basic maintenance on it.

This week has been busy and mostly good. Food choices were mostly good but i did a total fail on recording calories for any days. But my weigh in this morning was 145 with body fat around 26 or 27% So I'm happy with that. My days will be busy until at least Monday this week so won't be planning on recording foods in the next few days but maybe after that.

Feet have been continuing to do well so I'm pretty happy that maybe fitness-wise movement will continue to improve. Hopefully a nice schedule alternating between biking and walk-runs!

OK will slowly make my way around the diaries in the next couple of days...

Yay for that new bike! If you could get a bar or hook screwed into the wall somewhat high up you could thread your bands through and train the muscle groups you'd also use for pullups.

Oh, Liza. I'm so excited for you to get the bike! It sounds like it will be a good fit for you. Learning bike maintenance will be great too. Well done on the weigh-in & the BF % xo

I was super happy getting on it and just riding around my neighborhood. I was a little afraid i wouldn't be able to ride at all, but as the saying goes--it's like riding a bike!
This made me chuckle. Go you! Great job in getting the bike - hope you have many happy days of cycling ahead. :)

Yay for that new bike! If you could get a bar or hook screwed into the wall somewhat high up you could thread your bands through and train the muscle groups you'd also use for pullups.
Oh great idea about the hook...i may do that at some point....or I may have some things i could work with already....would be nice to work those muscle groups and then every once in a while try a chinup at the park and see if I'm progressing. I know it was a nice surprise when I could suddenly do a bunch of pushups after unknowingly working those muscle groups with other resistant band exercises...

Oh, Liza. I'm so excited for you to get the bike! It sounds like it will be a good fit for you. Learning bike maintenance will be great too. Well done on the weigh-in & the BF % xo
I'm pretty excited too! Even with just the few little bike rides I've taken around town now I can feel how it's working different muscles to my walking and running. I think it will be a nice new refreshing challenge and hopefully will help with my running as well!

This made me chuckle. Go you! Great job in getting the bike - hope you have many happy days of cycling ahead. :)
Thanks Emily! Still a little nervous when riding my bike around any traffic but hopefully will slowly get used to it...

Last few days have been continuing to go well. Continuing to make pretty good food choices overall. Yesterday went a little heavy on the treats again. Allowed myself to get too hungry and was desperately stuffing calories in...anyways...other than that, doing ok...

Got back into the garden yesterday after having too many days away from it due to life being too busy. The pathways get overgrown quickly so was working on getting them back into shape. It's always such a pleasure to be out there.

I am feeling like all my muscles are getting lots of work in. So many sore ones this morning in both my arms and legs. Just a good workout sore. A good sign I think.

I've recently signed up for a new volunteer community project thing. So that should be interesting. Going to a meeting about it today. Not sure yet how many hours it will entail. Should be interesting any which way...

Sounds like you're doing well on all fronts! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new bike and finding time for your garden despite the extra community work!

Oh great idea about the hook...i may do that at some point....or I may have some things i could work with already....would be nice to work those muscle groups and then every once in a while try a chinup at the park and see if I'm progressing. I know it was a nice surprise when I could suddenly do a bunch of pushups after unknowingly working those muscle groups with other resistant band exercises...
Now that is a great surprise, I tried to do 30 push-ups on my knees yesterday and had to stop at 20! They are hard!
I'm pretty excited too! Even with just the few little bike rides I've taken around town now I can feel how it's working different muscles to my walking and running. I think it will be a nice new refreshing challenge and hopefully will help with my running as well!
I have read many times that mixing up the kinds of exercise is really best! Sounds like you are indeed working some musles differently and I bet it is fun!!
Thanks Emily! Still a little nervous when riding my bike around any traffic but hopefully will slowly get used to it...

Last few days have been continuing to go well. Continuing to make pretty good food choices overall. Yesterday went a little heavy on the treats again. Allowed myself to get too hungry and was desperately stuffing calories in...anyways...other than that, doing ok...
I am really glad you have had some good days Liza!

oh my goodness so good to be back--I've been trying to log in unsuccessfully for about 4 days. I could see and read posts but couldn't sign in to write anything! Just kept saying something about a server error but I could see everyone else getting in fine.
Anyways, I hope it's all cleared up now...
I don't have much time to write now but hopefully will be back to write more later...and catch up in everyone's diaries (though I have been reading along in everyone's entries)
If i disappear again you know what's happened!

The forum has been playing up for days. I couldn't post on my phone. I haven't had any contact with admin for months when I reported our reactions link not working properly. It's good to know that all is well with you, Liza xo

The forum has been playing up for days. I couldn't post on my phone. I haven't had any contact with admin for months when I reported our reactions link not working properly. It's good to know that all is well with you, Liza xo
Ah so not just me! Good to know!
It was sure a weird feeling being able to read everyone's entries, but not able to say anything

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments!

Life really is feeling good lately. I know even just a couple of months ago I was feeling a little cut off and empty and now things feel full and happy again. I am back playing with my ukulele group again (took a break over winter), loving the garden, loving my walks, seeing more of friends and community...things just feel balanced and good.

Continuing to get to know my bike with little bike rides around town. I think what I am going to try and do and work out a little route with a few smaller hills to slowly build up my strength. Today I walked my route that I would eventually like to bike ride, but those hills will really take some strength...so something fun to work towards.

Emily--i'm glad you mentioned the piano--i seem to have let that totally slide and haven't been playing much at all. So that message reminded me to get back to it!

Jen--yes I've always found push-ups hard, so it was a really nice surprise to have built up to them without realizing I was doing that. I don't like knee push-ups as they always feel a little awkward to me, but Tru (and maybe llama?) had given me tips about building up to push-ups by doing incline push-ups--that actually felt much better than the knee ones for me.

ok hope this forum lets me keep logging in!

Lovely bike ride this morning. Feeling like I'm really getting to know it better...made it to the top of one of my shorter term goal hills. Feeling it for sure, but that will be a really good hill for me to practice on!

Hey Liza, just wanted to say I'm back and hello!
Hello Rob! So nice to have you back!
So glad to read how happy you are in your latest post! :)
Thanks Emily! It feels so good to feel out of those blues and feeling more positive again.

It's sort of interesting as it felt like such a downer when that plantar fascciitis stopped me from running but it may have been one of those blessings in disguise. i'd been thinking for a while that I should be finding a different activity to mix in with running and that really pushed me to move ahead with the bike. And now I am surprised about just how fun it is just even riding around town with it, never mind the benefit of having it for the exercise.

Today I think i will try for a walk-run. I'm not sure how I will fit the running and biking in together with rest days in the long-term, but I think that since for now it should be ok to go out daily since I'm not pushing too hard with either one.

Food continues to be a little on the iffy side. Lots of healthy food, which is great but also still lots of treats...I don't know...I think I'm just going to continue on as I am for now and see when I should make a proper effort around the sweets...maybe i'll try just cutting back a little and see how that goes...

My back is still not where I want it to be. Still painful in the mornings....so yeah just things to keep on top of--like the stretching that I've recently dropped again...

Hey Liza, I can sympathize with your back problems. I'm finding that as I get older lots of joints and things hurt. I believe you are doing the right thing, stretching etc. Experimenting with different sleeping positions and exercises helps me.

No expert here, but I think running is more for the young, lower impact exercise like biking or walking is probably better. After my knee surgery the doctor told me it was best that I didn't run. Since I haven't in many years its one easy instruction to take, and now I have a great excuse.
plantar fasciitis
I've had that for a long time. I find that soft inserts with arch support really help me, pretty much eliminate the pain and let me do all the walking and hiking I want to do. Just simple over the counter things. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Best of luck with it, in my experience the aches and pains don't get better with age, but do give me something to work on...

How lovely to hear that you're doing so well! Glad you're enjoying your bike too: variety in exercise is generally the best thing healthwise.

The main thing is that you are getting the healthy food in. Keep that up and all the rest will follow... you go girl!

Back