Liza

Food choices were good yesterday.
Good for you!

Hope those feet get better, foot pain is no fun...
I love the single life! I had a long-term relationship back in my 20's that I was like well it's gotta be him if anyone. But i just really prefer being single. I feel like I have enough baggage in my life with just my own stuff, never mind adding in someone else's along with it! I never wanted kids so that was also not an issue for me.
Did not know that about you. Sounds like you have figured out what makes you happy, always the best I think.

That sucks about the pain going up after you got home BUT it looks to me like you've been doing better and patience is paying off, so keep it up!

Thanks Cate. It does feel really good to be able to say that. I've had a lot of really hard and struggling times in my life. And while it's definitely not all easy now, it does feel a lot easier and joyful!
I love reading this. And yay for the back pain being gone!

Hi Liza! It sounds like you did indeed have a very lovely day! I was going to try the 4:1 today, but by the time I got out there, about 7:30 am, it was just way tooo hot where I live to find it enjoyable. But I am glad that the run went well and that you have your bike as an option as well!

And I totally get it about giving up sugar! :ROFLMAO:

That's such a shame about your foot pain, Liza but good news about the back pain disappearing. I hope you get to go for a lovely ride :)

Thanks everyone!

Yes the foot pain isn't fun but it at least really dissipated the day after the run, so hopefully on the right track here. I didn't do a bike ride or run yesterday. I stuck to a stretch and strength session along with some garden work (maybe about 40 mins?) and some walking (maybe about 40 mins as well) So it felt like an active enough day without over-doing it. Today I'm thinking a bike ride...

Jen--I was wondering why you were going to go for the 4:1--like are you recovering from an injury? If so, you should start at the beginning of the schedule really. If you google recovery schedules for after an injury you might come up with something...There are also walk-run schedules that I followed in the past to just build up running distances--lots on line. I would actually follow a schedule that fits your specific wants and needs. I know you've done a lot of running in the past so you probably already know all that, but yeah the 4:1 ratio is just one I'm following as part of a bigger schedule/picture, the ratios and time spent are slowly increased over time depending on pain levels. And yeah running in heat is never nice!!

Food choices overall were good though I probably did have too many sweets. (ice cream, chocolate, and cookies!)...I should track my calories on those days really to give me a good picture of what that's looking like in terms of a surplus.

Hey Liza...I think I am just looking for a way to ease back in. I exercise every single day. But I find that running takes fitness to an entirely different level. For me it is one of the most difficult forms of exercise, although the 'bang for the buck' was the best. Until I built up to running 5 miles a day, even when I was a step aerobics instructor, I was NO runner. I definitely feel that I am cardiovascularly in a good enough place for the 4:1 ratio and maybe that kind of 'structure' will help me focus. Hope the foot pain continues to improve Liza, it must be so very frustrating to know that you have the cardio stamina to run and that your feet aren't cooperating! I remember that frustration!

Ok I'm back as the flashing exclamation mark seems to be gone...

I have been doing very short and quick reading of diaries while the exclamation mark was flashing, but haven't been logging in to comment. Have also been staying on track myself.

I have been logging my foods again to cronometer, this time with a focus on keeping my carbs lower and protein higher while achieving a calorie deficit. Even when I was doing calorie reduction i think my carbs would always be on the high end so I am curious if I pay more attention to that if it will make any difference...

I did my second session of walk-run 4:1 for 7 rounds the other day (saturday i think?) it went well with minimal foot pain. I also got in a couple of good bike rides. One was the beginning of my running route. I did have to walk the bike up 2 super steep sections but other than that i was pretty happy with how I did as there were some good hills I made it up. It was pretty exhausting but I think that will be a good route to keep doing maybe once a week or so to test my strength and stamina.

I am happy with how I am doing with junk food. Able to be around it, have a reasonable portion and then stop. That is where I want to be long-term as I know I don't want to quit it for good so need to learn good moderation.

Hey Liza...I think I am just looking for a way to ease back in. I exercise every single day. But I find that running takes fitness to an entirely different level. For me it is one of the most difficult forms of exercise, although the 'bang for the buck' was the best. Until I built up to running 5 miles a day, even when I was a step aerobics instructor, I was NO runner. I definitely feel that I am cardiovascularly in a good enough place for the 4:1 ratio and maybe that kind of 'structure' will help me focus. Hope the foot pain continues to improve Liza, it must be so very frustrating to know that you have the cardio stamina to run and that your feet aren't cooperating! I remember that frustration!
Yes the walk-runs are great for building up the running. Many people are further ahead with what they can handle cardio-wise rather than what their joints can handle, so it's good even when you feel up for it cardio-wise to work your way through a walk-run schedule in order to avoid injury. I worked my way through one that built slowly up to a 10 km when I first started running and it was a great way to build both cardio and what my joints could handle (before that I would always have to quit running after a couple of months due to ankle and knee pain)

Well done on the good food choices and forget about the rest! :)
Thanks Emily--I love always your focus on the positive and to forget about the not-so-positive!

Aw. thanks Liza. It's not always easy but a worthy pursuit all the same! :)
Absolutely!

These last few days I've been volunteering for that community project that I mentioned before. It's a lot of physical work so I'm not doing any running or biking this week, as the project will just go for the one week and then it's done so I'll put my physical energy into that. It's also taking a degree of mental energy and at the end of each day I feel pretty exhausted. Doing anything new and different always takes a bit out of me--I'm very into schedule and routine. This is good for me though. I've met a lot of really lovely people and I feel good giving back to the community. Who knows maybe it will end up expanding my social life a bit in the long-term too!
I'm happy that although i feel kind of spent with the project I'm staying on track with my food goals. Times like this can be an easy excuse for me to scarf down a lot of junk since it's just short term, but I've mostly stuck to my calorie goals as well as emphasizing higher protein, and lower in carbs.

I think that project sounds wonderful. If you're all there for a worthy cause, there are sure to be a few gems involved. :)

The community project sounds like a good opportunity to extend your friend circle with like-minded people.
Yay for the bike rides & the walk/run program going well for you :)

I think that project sounds wonderful. If you're all there for a worthy cause, there are sure to be a few gems involved. :)
There are definitely a few gems in the mix. It's been a wonderful experience and am so glad i signed up to help!
The community project sounds like a good opportunity to extend your friend circle with like-minded people.
Yay for the bike rides & the walk/run program going well for you :)
Thanks Cate! Yes it's been so nice to see my increase with both the biking and running. Looking forward to getting back to it soon again.
Well done on the moderation, especially with the community project giving you an excuse not to!
Thanks! Yes it's been a bit of a challenge but I think it helped that I had my new goals in place a few days before the volunteering began.

my big hope with lowering carbs is that maybe my gut will go down more. I feel like a big part of my gut is more digestion issues than actual fat, so I'm interested if taking less carbs will help on that front. We'll see...

Yesterday was pretty good. Not as big a deficit as I am aiming for and a little too high on carbs on low on protein again. Will try to do better today.

Protein is such a hassle when you don't want to go heavy on animal products or heavily processed foods.

"my big hope with lowering carbs is that maybe my gut will go down more. I feel like a big part of my gut is more digestion issues than actual fat, so I'm interested if taking less carbs will help on that front. We'll see..."
I think my bloated stomach is carb related too.
Protein is so hard to keep up. I don't want to eat more meat. I never thought I would be a person who uses protein powder

Protein is such a hassle when you don't want to go heavy on animal products or heavily processed foods.
Yes I don't know how people get so much protein. I asked a vegan friend if she struggles with that, but she doesn't seem to. I must just be more used to a carb-heavy diet or something.
"my big hope with lowering carbs is that maybe my gut will go down more. I feel like a big part of my gut is more digestion issues than actual fat, so I'm interested if taking less carbs will help on that front. We'll see..."
I think my bloated stomach is carb related too.
Protein is so hard to keep up. I don't want to eat more meat. I never thought I would be a person who uses protein powder
Yes I think the only times I get close to protein goals is when I include the protein powder. Yesterday took me 1.5 scoops to get my protein up to my goal. I actually like the protein powder, but I would rather rely on just foods I eat, but I just can't seem to get there. When tofu is my main protein, I get a lot closer, but if I'm eating beans as my main source it's much tougher. And then, of course, it depends on how active I am on any particular day. On my more active day, cronometer really increases the protein goal. But yeah I don't know if my gut will ever go down. That is one thing that just seems to be the on-going challenge!

Anyways yesterday I did achieve the protein goal, kept carbs a little lower, and got a bit of a calorie deficit. Pretty active day with plenty of work, and a bit of walking. My back is feeling all the work again so need to get back to yoga, or maybe when I get back to running it will ease up again. At least it's not super painful. Just more in the mornings when I get up. Once I start moving it does ease up.

The community project is complete now, so will be getting back to my usual schedule. Hoping to do a bit of catch up in the garden this morning...

I'm guessing your vegan friend either eats a lot of soy and/or mockmeat or they have a low protein goal. A lot of whole-food vegans seem to think 50 g of protein a day is plenty, regardless of size. That I could also do with beans and grains! Boring though...

I'm guessing your vegan friend either eats a lot of soy and/or mockmeat or they have a low protein goal. A lot of whole-food vegans seem to think 50 g of protein a day is plenty, regardless of size. That I could also do with beans and grains! Boring though...
Yes could be. Anyways I just know protein is a challenge for me....but at least i like the protein powder. Will need to buy more of that and keep it in stock in my kitchen so I feel free to have as much as I want in a day instead of trying to make it stretch out and last.

I gained this week...well I was already up last week which was my motivation for getting back on track. Today I'm at 147, with 27% bf
I've been between 147 and 148 for a couple of weeks. I do feel like some is inflammation but yeah i want to stay on track here and try and get down to at least 140. I think my ultimate goal weight has shifted from 130 to 135. But yeah trying to not focus on weight but more the body fat numbers...

Hoping to try for my walk-run this morning. Haven't been out for one in about a week, so I'm not sure how that will go...my legs also feel sore...maybe it will turn into more of a walk than a run.

Yesterday didn't do so well for food. Did ok until the evening and then overate. Oh well. Start again.

Back