Liza

Resistance bands do give you a large cariety of possible exercises, especially when you have some solid points to wrap them around, maybe at different heights.

Are there any particular pieces you like to play Liza?
I feel like I am at a forever beginner phase with piano...but I really like chopin best and I have a beginners book that simplify his pieces and I am really enjoying working through that. I also really like playing a simplified 1st movement of Moonlight Sonata.
But I also play simple folk songs and spirituals and stuff just using chords and melody. Those are nice and easy for me and good for when I don't want much of a challenge. What do you like to play? (i think i remember you got quite a ways with piano?)
That all sounds good, Liza. A very positive day :)
Thanks Cate :)
Resistance bands do give you a large cariety of possible exercises, especially when you have some solid points to wrap them around, maybe at different heights.
Yeah they seem really good. i just follow a simple video using them, but I could probably really expand what I do with them.

Well sad to say my mood went kind of down yesterday...well I knew it couldn't hold at a high forever...Just feeling a little sad and disconnected...but this too shall pass...

Today is weigh in and I've gained yet another pound to bring me to 143. But Fat is still at 26%.
So the weight I will take with a grain of salt considering fat hasn't gone up. Maybe the weight is water weight...I am eating too many sweets though and should get that under control before it gets worse. So that will be a focus for this week. i will set a sweets goal of not going over 300 calories a day with it...

I don't feel like saying much more as my mood is still off and just want to get on with my day...

I may get to the diaries a bit later...i'll see how i do here.

Wishing everyone a lovely day though...

Sorry to hear your mood dropped :grouphug: Hope it rises again soon. It should, with how well you're treating your body and mind.

You did well considering your mood has dropped. "This too shall pass" as you say. Mine fluctuate too & sometimes it's such a struggle saying anything much at all. Other days I could type all day. Hope you have a restorative day, Liza xoxo

Thanks @Llama and @Cate :grouphug:

yeah I was just suddenly feeling overwhelmed by a bunch of little things. And sad that i was overwhelmed by little things.
I made a list of things to get through yesterday and was happy to cross them all off though. I actually made 2 lists. Things to do that i had been procrastinating on and were bugging me...and then a list of happy things to do. I made my way through both lists and by the end of the day I was feeling much better. Still a little sad and disconnected socially but feeling at least back to embracing my introverted life...I will stay open to social opportunities but I know I'm happy in the introverted life too so that is good.

Part of my happy list was to walk in an area that I don't normally walk in. I get pretty habitual about where i go walking but there are other beautiful areas here that I don't get to even though they are close by. So I went walking there and found it really inspiring. I brought along a book of poetry to read too. That was nice. Maybe I will try doing that sort of thing more often. Maybe like once a week pick somewhere I haven't been and go there...we'll see...

I also got a bunch of little chores and things done around my place. There is still more to do but my place is feeling super orderly and clean to me right now and I'm feeling a lot more caught up with stuff.

I ate well yesterday...but probably still too much if I do want to move back into deficits. At least my sugar intake wasn't bad--mostly just because I wasn't around any sweets besides that bag of jelly beans i have here and I did have 17 of those...besides that I just had some honey in some cocoa I made...

Having salads again has made my eating well a lot easier. Such an easy option rather than having to cook and prepare vegetables which I can get pretty lazy about.

So yesterday
walk--well about 2 hours but it was slow and meditative so nothing too intense
calorie--about maintenance
sugar calories 220

Seems like you are taking the right steps to help lift your mood. I hope things look better for you today.
Thanks Emilyrose--yes it really helped to just move through the lists despite not feeling like it.
Yesterday I had to do more of that as my mood was still up and down. Some really anxious moments where I felt the big resistance to making healthy choices...but if i make the healthy choices in those moments it actually strengthens me for the long-term...so in the end I made fairly good, though maybe not perfect choices...
Had too much sugar (could definitely see how I was using that to combat mood) but got through the difficult things and actually had an overall really positive day.

Having the salad in the fridge is really helping me on days like this when cooking isn't something I feel like doing and can easily sink into a day of pure carbs and no veggies. Came home from my walk yesterday hungry and noted I had a bit of leftover rice and chickpeas in the fridge and was just going to eat that when I remembered the salad. So could just easily add a bunch of greens, make a little dressing out of tahini and apple cider vinegar and ended up having a good healthy lunch.
But yeah later had too much sugar...

Anyhow
walk-2.5 hours
calorie deficit -200
sugar calories 478 calories (that's just counting the pure sugar/junk food stuff--cookies, choc, jelly beans)

Some really anxious moments where I felt the big resistance to making healthy choices...but if i make the healthy choices in those moments it actually strengthens me for the long-term...
I definitely notice how doing the right thing can become just as much of a habit as doing the wrong thing - and deviating from habits always takes a little more effort than following them.

Having a salad in the fridge can make such a difference when you're tempted to have something easy but not as healthy. I love it when we have a salad made with Wombok cabbage as then it can be a salad or a stirfry.

I definitely notice how doing the right thing can become just as much of a habit as doing the wrong thing - and deviating from habits always takes a little more effort than following them.
That's true isn't it? It takes some effort to build the new good habits, but yeah once they're built, they are the go to pattern...worth the effort building them then!
I'm trying to build some good evening habits at the moment...still working to make the piano an automatic go to and then doing a good kitchen clean up every evening before bed.
Having a salad in the fridge can make such a difference when you're tempted to have something easy but not as healthy. I love it when we have a salad made with Wombok cabbage as then it can be a salad or a stirfry.
Yeah that does sound handy to have that option as salad or stirfry. I think my present salad probably could be used as a stir fry too as it's a lot of greens like spinach and baby bok choy. I prefer it raw though...
I could definitely chop up some cabbage and carrots in advance to have them always ready to throw into a stir fry or soup when I'm pressed for time...maybe that'll be the next habit i build....

That lunch sounds great Liza. You're doing amazing girl!
Thanks! Yes nice how having greens ready to go can make an easy and delicious and nutritious meal!

Yesterday was a good day. Was supposed to run but opted for a longer walk again instead. Will get back to running on Wednesday again I hope. The walk was lovely and I seem to be really enjoying that slower more meditative pace. Running is great for my mind too though so definitely need to keep including that.

Returning from my walk I was cold so when I got in I made a lovely big lentil stew with cabbage and carrots and tossed in some pasta with it. So filling and nourishing and warming.

I also did a grocery run even though I was feeling pretty lazy and it added in more walking...but nice to get that done...
and got my piano practice in as well as the kitchen clean up...so building those good habits!

Now I did think i was doing well on the sweets front as I did well when I was out to really limit them...but then when I got home for the evening it was back to those jelly beans...geez I've almost finished the bag and I think I only used them for running once or twice...then I'll have to buy another bag to have them ready for the long distances again...it just seems dumb to waste my sugar calories on those as they are definitely not my favorite sweet. I could just double down the effort to not eat them I guess. Put them somewhere where it is some work to get them--yes I suppose that's what I should do--up high where I would have to get a chair out to get them down or something...

Anyhow
walk 2hr10
calorie deficit -154
sugar calories 554

Out of sight (and out of easy reach), out of mind seems like a good idea. Sounds like a great day!

I will make sure I only have Chinese cabbage (wombok it is called here) in future if I am going to eat it raw as my stomach has been hurting since lunch yesterday.
It sounds like you had a lovely day, Liza.

Sounds like a great day. Is there something else you could use for the long runs besides jelly beans? That could be the trick...

Out of sight (and out of easy reach), out of mind seems like a good idea.
yes so far so good. I didn't put them up high yet, but did at least hide them in the back of the cupboard behind other food. Even that seems to help...I thought of eating some a couple of times yesterday but then with them that extra step away seemed to give me just that extra bit of room for thought that allowed me to say no!
I will make sure I only have Chinese cabbage (wombok it is called here) in future if I am going to eat it raw as my stomach has been hurting since lunch yesterday.
Oh dear about your stomach...yes I can only eat certain veggies raw. The young spinach and bok choy work well for me...as does young kale...but yeah once the plants get more mature I need to cook them...or have it as a sauerkraut...
Is there something else you could use for the long runs besides jelly beans? That could be the trick...
I have considered other things I could take, but the jelly beans so far seem to be the best option in terms of both price and convenience...I'll just have to be more strict with myself!

Yesterday was pretty good. Went walking in a new to me area...Was a little nervous as I wasn't sure where the trails would lead...The trails are a part of a bigger system so there were different directions I could go on them. The one I chose didn't go that far and was not a bad little walk to just add a bit of walking time to my day--it was about a half hour round trip and very close to my home, so that'll be a nice little walk to add in when I don't have much time...

I ate at about maintenance yesterday. Did better with the sugar, and made a couple of good meals...had the leftover lentil stew, and then made a chickpea/rice stirfry later on. Both with salads added in...

Today i hope to go running. Haven't been in a while and I'm tired this morning after a bad night's sleep. Will just take it easy on the run though.

walk 1 hour
calories-maintenance
sugar calories-289

Raw cabbage really only works for me if I slice it very thin and massage it before tossing it into whatever I'm having.
Well done resisting the lure of the jellybeans!

yes so far so good. I didn't put them up high yet, but did at least hide them in the back of the cupboard behind other food. Even that seems to help...I thought of eating some a couple of times yesterday but then with them that extra step away seemed to give me just that extra bit of room for thought that allowed me to say no!
Well done! I 'hide' sweets in containers inside a bucket labelled misc sweets on the floor of my pantry, under a bucket labelled misc savoury, so they require much more effort getting to them. Lollies/candies I can't have them in the house though because once they're open I swear they talk to me. :blush5: Jelly beans would be hopeless.
The trails near you sound lovely. I love hearing about them. Hope you go for that run, Liza :)

Thanks @Llama ,@Cate and @Emilyrose :grouphug:
The jelly beans have remained safe for the last couple of days. May they remain so!
I 'hide' sweets in containers inside a bucket labelled misc sweets on the floor of my pantry, under a bucket labelled misc savoury, so they require much more effort getting to them
I love that! so far mine have only remained hidden behind some cans, but as I say the jelly beans aren't my favorite so it doesn't take as much effort to resist as a beautiful bar of chocolate would! That I might have to bury out in the garden somewhere :)
Raw cabbage really only works for me if I slice it very thin and massage it before tossing it into whatever I'm having
Yes I could probably handle cabbage like that too. I used to grate cabbage and beets into a salad and I could handle it like that. I haven't tried that lately but I imagine I could still digest that ok.
Well done on the good meals yesterday and for further exploring of the trails.
Thanks yes, trail exploration is good for me. It helps me face anxiety while also finding new and fun places!

Last couple of days have been pretty good. Got out on that run the other day. it was challenging as not only was I tired from lack of sleep but my muscles also seemed tired...but went out for an hour and tried to keep the pace easy.

Yesterday I skipped my strengthening though. Need to keep that up as a habit...too easy for me to drop that one. I miss being able to practice to build up to chinups as it was motivating to have a goal in mind and even the dead hangs seemed to be a good workout in itself...still considering buying a pull up bar for my house...might be worth it after all...i just hate to buy something if I don't actually use it and it seems i don't trust myself to keep up with it...

I did get a good amount of walking yesterday though.

Food-wise I did ok both days I think. The one day I was in deficit, yesterday was in surplus so they average out to maintenance.
Sugar was 106 calories for wed and 303 for Thurs. So I'm happy with that.
Ate lots of good healthy meals. Kept up with present goal of playing piano and getting kitchen cleaned up each evening too.
So a pretty good couple of days!

Back