Cohen's Lifestyle Cohens Lifestyle Support - New

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Hi there. New member, absolutely first post. I have already signed up for the Cohen's diet but because of my current geographic location, I am unable to find a digital or an analogue scale to weigh my food. I don't even have weighing scales! I should have made sure that I had one before I did my blood test, and signed up.

However the clinic has accepted my request to start next month (when I am able to head to more civilized regions!), but in the meantime, I have started the programme (on my 4th day). Gauging weights is tricky and I have a suspicion that I am likely eating more than I should but even so, this is a drastic change from my normal diet (carbs carbs carbs!).

Drinking 3 litres of water per day has already kept my appetite in check - no more sugary drinks! Definitely think it's a good idea to try it out before you start as to lessen the shock. :)
Hi dietgrrl & welcome to the forum. Have you been weighed at the clinic already? When you start officially it will be essential to have digital scales to weigh your food. A tape measure to keep a track of your size is a much better idea than scales to weigh yourself as that can become obsessional. You are going to have a good head-start by guesstimating food portions now though. Good for you drinking 3 litres of water a day now. That's a great start & one that most struggle with. What country are you in? Once again welcome. I look forward to hearing about your journey with Cohen's, cheers, Cate

Hiya Cate,

Thanks for the welcome! I'm currently based in Indonesia, little town. I figured that it's a good time as any to start a serious diet since I have very little temptations around!

So I've been following a Cohen's diet for about a week now - still guess-estimating as I wait to go home to pick up digital scales.... until today, I overindulged on the crackers about 3x as many as I'm supposed to have. :(

I'm trying not to beat myself over it since technically I'm not officially on the programme yet and this is just to prepare myself... but gosh, hats off to you all for following it so strictly!! I don't know where you get the willpower. I thought I had it for the past 5 or 6 days but the urge to eat just crept up on me.

When I officially start, I plan to start an online diary here as well to get your support!!

.... and of course, I've conveniently forgot the cookies that my staff fed me upon hearing that I am planning to eat right!

Current Cohen-nites, how do you deal with the saboteurs? :)

Hi all!

I am new here :) I am on the new you forum though (oops can I say that?!), under the same name. I figure though that the more people we support and get supported by the better.

Hey dietgirl... I reckon in reference to saboteurs (even though your question was asked a while ago)... you have to ask yourself why are they doing it?? What's in it for them???

Like you can quite easily say 'no thank you'... and let's face it, no one is actually forcing them down your throat... but perhaps if even after you decline and they still persist... you could reach out to them and say you are trying to change your life and become a healthier and happier person, and could they please help and not try to tempt you like that.

Ultimately what they are doing isn't nice, if you ask me... and their motive should be questioned. People get very jealous when others lose weight and start to improve their lives. It makes them uncomfortable. So, if the nice approach doesn't work, just ask them "why do YOU have such a keen interest in what I put in MY mouth?! Is it to make you feel better about stuffing your own face with cookies?!

I have found that Cohens has taught me to be accountable for my own choices... sure I could break free and do this or that, but the only one who suffers is me. I want to lose this weight, so I need to stand up and make a choice...

I guess you just have to ask yourself... how bad do you want it????

:D

Anyway, that was my first post... how fun!!!

Hi lil doll & welcome to this forum. Of course you can say that you also visit other forums. We all have a look about & it's good to have more than one support system in place. The more the merrier! I missed your post the other day, I'm sorry. Please feel free to start a new thread for your own diary if you would like to. You are most welcome. There are not so many of us here & we keep up with one another's diaries reasonably easily. I look forward to hearing from you again & getting to know you. Once again, a very big welcome! Cheers, Cate

Hi all, love reading how well everyone is going. Day 1 for me and so far all goods, found some great recipes to try out as that really was my main issues.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum rospotty. All the best with the program. Hopefully, like me, you will learn some new cooking skills as you go. Cheers, Cate

Hi! How many consultations do you guys have to go for? I'm interested in starting on the programme.

Hi geo, & welcome to the forum. The number of consultations really varies between clinics & countries & also can depend on how many times you want to see a consultant. I only saw mine at the start & at the end by choice but was in touch by email or phone in between. You do have a blood test at the start to see if you can do the program & then monitoring blood tests at regular intervals of either 4-8 weeks during the program. I had 7 in my 28 weeks on the program. I shed 36kg in 28 weeks back in 2007 & feel I will keep it off forever! Unlike programs where you drink shakes Cohen's teaches you to eat in a balanced way. It has a re-feed program toward the end that reintroduces various foods gradually to get your body used to them again & then gives you maintenance guidelines. Doing Cohen's was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It requires commitment & determination to follow it 100% but it also is black & white so is not confusing at all. All the best with your decision. Hope you decide to join us. Cheers, Cate

Hi geo, my clinic is in a different country so I only had a phone call on the initial start of the programme, and then after that email contact. For me, the forums are a major part of my success (i.e. support) - my consultant was useful for some technical queries.

I agree with Cate - it's changed my life. Previously, I would skip meals or eat out or eat processed foods. Now, I make 3 meals daily. And I enjoy it. It's challenged me to get out of my comfortable bubble (that was keeping me fat). I don't feel deprived at all with the portions and you do get your protein, vegs, carbs, and some fat. What's good about this programme is that you can do it ANYWHERE. Believe me, I live in rural Borneo. No packaged meals or shakes required! Just fresh foods from the market.

It really helps though to read the forums, read the diaries to get a sense of what you would be signing up for. And if you do sign up, start a diary! :)

Yes - but currently not active on this forum - check out other Cohen forums such as newyouforum.com, etc. On the newyouforum.com there is a male moderator who has been on the programme, and have successfully kept off the weight for at least a couple of years.

Thanks cate & dietgrrl, as you may have realised by now, i took the step and signed up for the program...cate, i am inspired by your weightloss...and dietgrrl, i'm so glad to know that it's easy to follow the programme from anywhere in the world.... :p

Any blokes out there on Cohen's?

Hi Micky
Yep, done the program in 1996 - 14 years ago! And recently started it again on my own cos I have accumulated some weight over the last few years. Originally lost about 20kg in 16wks and felt great:biggrinjester:, kept it off for a few years. Afterwords, due to various personal issues over the years to do with life and death, relocation, illness and "La Bella Vita" (good food and restaurants), I have crept up in weight back to what I was before I started in 96. Now determined to give it another go.

Hi Ronaldo & welcome back to Cohen's. I love that, after all this time, you know that Cohen's is the right choice for you to lose your excess weight. Your original plan would have changed considerably as I know it has in the 3 years since I got mine. Are you signing up for a new plan? Feel free to start a new thread in this Cohen's sub-section of the WLF & share your journey with us. We can offer you support if you need it & you can help inspire others.
Cheers, Cate.

It is Joysey, but we rarely use this thread for some reason. Most entries are in diaries. It's also a little quiet at the moment. How have you been? Did you have a diary before? I can't remember when you were about last. Senility probably! Catch up soon, Cate.

Hello Cate,

I joined this forum back in Oct 2006 and managed to lose 33.7 kg. Unfortunately due to a number of factors, I didnt manage to get to the refeeding part of Cohens. Ive gained back all that I lost plus a few extra kilos. I am having dreadful problems with my knees and feet, and I am sure the weight is a major contributor. I am not financially able to join Cohens officially at this time, as I have been off work for almost 12mths and there is no way I can possibly afford it. Every other eating plan insists exercise is a must to succeed in weight loss, and clearly, I am unable to exercise due to the pain in my limbs. Cohens was an amazing journey for me, and I know it is the only way I will succeed in permanant fat loss by completing the entire program.

Do you think that doing my old program, even though it has been over 3yrs, would at least to some extent allow me to lose some weight until such time that I can begin working again and afford to join Cohens officially? Im at a total loss at what to do. I know the only way to get back to good health is to lose weight, but there are so many hurdles stopping me from doing it.

Also, can you point me in the right direction as to which is the main thread, or where do I look to see up dated chats.

You look amazing and congratulations on your achievements. I remember following your progress when I was on. Fantastic work.

Cheers, Regina

Hi Regina, I think your old plan would most probably work for you & it's certainly worth a try! My plan is from early 2007 & still works for me, luckily, as, I too, am not working. There will always be hurdles but I think if you go back on your plan you will be overcoming a major one. Your knees & feet will love you!
Most people start a diary & then we visit you there. At the moment it's very quiet. I'll give you support & I'm sure the others will too. A lot of people read the diaries but don't comment. You know how life is. Everyone's busy. There is a great bunch of people about though. They are lovely.
Thanks for your congrats Regina. I'm a work in progress, as we all are. I have to be careful what I eat as weight goes back on me easily. I'm always learning & am currently doing a modified Cohen's to get me back into my GW range. Nearly there! My weight quickly crept up on holiday.
I think you have made an excellent decision to give Cohen's another go. I think it's a great idea. :) Cheers, Cate

The Cohen Program

Hi everyone, just wondering if this forum is still up and running

Hi, yes, appears to be going along. I am getting messages in my in-box.

Back