Cohen's Lifestyle Cohens Lifestyle Support - New

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle
Great news! If you put in some time now cleaning out your pantry and fridge, getting rid of any food that is especially tempting, you'll find it much easier when you start!

The first week is the hardest, so just get through it however you can. If you can stick it out for 2 weeks, you'll drop into the "Cohen" zone and be perfectly happy.

If you want to prepare for the diet so you have less withdrawal symptoms (like headaches), then maybe start cutting down carbs, sugars and cut out any sweets or things like that - that way it's a little easier during those first few days when your body has a sudden change from normal diet to healthy diet.

And - drink lots of water every day, get lots of rest!!! I would also take a good multi-vitamin - they will recommend some sorts (which have less B6 etc), and it will help keep you on top.

But - by two weeks into it you'll be cruising and already starting to notice some things in your body changing. Once that happens, it's just so easy to keep doing what you're doing - it all becomes second nature.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Hello Fellow Cohen Cohorts,

Well tomorrow it starts ! Dr Cohen and my new eating plan become part of my life. The cupboards are empty of rubbish and the fridge has never looked healthier - and I'm ready to go ! I've done all the last hurrah meals with friends and family - 'cause it's gonna be a loooooong time before I eat like that again. Come to think of it, I am NEVER going to eat like that again. It's taken 10 years of pretending I was 'happy' and 'OK with how I look and feel'. Of course I was only kidding myself, wasn't I?

Anyway, 'I have seen the light' as they say, and realise I am about to undertake a long journey and I am fully aware it isn't going to be easy. My wonderful husband and great boys are behind me with all the support and love I need for this journey - how could I possibly fail?

I'm hoping that as I go along, I can come here and look for inspiration and guidance whilst I find my way. I follow in all your footsteps - you have all gone before me and I look forward to enjoying the same glorious successes as you all have.

So I'm off to polish off the last of my chocolate stash before I start tomorrow (well somebodies got to do it!) 'cause I'm not doing it again.

Ciao for now
CG

CG- Welcome to the forum & may I say what a wonderful introduction. I really enjoyed reading it. It sounds to me like you have the recipe for success, starting with Cohen's, of course. Then a positive, "can do" attitude, family support & lots of determination & planning. I look forward to hearing all about your journey & following your progress, cheers, cate.

Curlygrl - love your sense of commitment!!

The key to it all is realising you are learning a new way of eating - for life. Once you do the diet and retrain yourself, you can learn some healthy long-term eating habits, and ways of staying within range of your maintenance goal. Things like chocolate lose their attractiveness because you remember the misery they caused you. You can enjoy one bit now and then after diet, but won't need to gorge again (well, speaking for myself!!!!).

Drink lots of water the first week, and just do whatever it takes to stay on track. Once you are through the first week, you'll pick up and start feel great. Remember that EOM's are hard times to get through no matter what, and rest up lots. The first two weeks of the diet I try never to go food shopping - get husband to do it for me!!! I'm fine after that - can look at anything and not want it, but it takes a while to get new habits to stick, and keeping away from temptation is a good idea.

You sound like you have a great support system, so hope it all goes well for you. Jump on here if you need support, or want to report your progress - we'd all be interested to hear.

when you just know it's your time...

Hi All,

I'm nearly three weeks into Cohen's and have been struggling with my emotional eating for the past 15 years. Everytime I was sad, bored, stressed,
happy, angry (you get my drift...) I'd go to the shops and buy a bag (or two) of someting to take my mind off the problem. I've always found the actual time that you are eating you don't think about problems you are having -it's like a neutral safe place.

So, a lot of really uncool stuff has happened whilst on the program, including last Wednesday when I had to put my horse down after having the pleasure of being around the sweetest, kindest horse that ever was. Every year I'd swear to myself I would lose weight to be able to ride her comfortably and start eventing again. In the 10 years I had her I never succeeded. I've had to deal with the fact that the one thing I want more than being able to fit into a pair of size 8 johdpurs is never going to happen. I left it too late. So in a way I've got so much sadness to deal with -and equally as bad as that is the guilt i'm feeling at the moment.

During this whole ordeal, -which also includes my dad being diagnosed with cancer (he should be okay, fingers crossed), the only deviation I have had has been a small amount of carrot and some soy sauce. I have been able to do this because I have resolved to never let it happen again. I will lose this ridiculous weight and at the end of it all get myself a new horse that will never know the burden of carrying around my ample frame.

My first weigh in is in about 9 days. I'll post my numbers when I know.

You guys are all so inspiring. I think I'll try to turn here instead of the lolly asile in the future!

Tak.

Hi Tak, I'm sorry about the rough patch you are having but impressed with your resolve to make a difference & change your life for the better. Cohen's is the best way to go I believe. Put the 'deviation' behind you & don't feel guilty. It is a useless feeling & helps no-one. By deciding to take control of your life you will be able to feel more positive about yourself. Horses are such intuitive animals. I'm sure yours knew how much you cared for it. Stick to Cohen's 100% every dayTak & soon you will feel much better. One day at a time.....hour by hour. Take care & be kind to yourself, Cate

Thanks Cate, I'm feeling much better this week, and really happy with myself for sticking with the program. -Week 4 starts tomorrow!

Tak- I'm pleased to hear that you are feeling a little better. Being on Cohen's approved food only, (but w/o weighing the food now,) in itself, improves my mood & well-being immensely. Combine that with some gentle exercise like a walk & I start to feel like a million $'s! I don't know why I don't stay on it forever! Because I'm not perfect I guess & merely human. Keep up the good work, cheers, Cate

Tak, you've stuck with the program through some really tough stuff. You'll find new ways of finding "comfort" that don't involve eating junk, so just hang in there. Your body will soon be thanking you for your commitment, and you'll feel heaps better about yourself.

I hope you get some comfort one day with another horse. You can never replace what's lost, but you can have new and meaningful relationships with animals in the future despite that, so hope that's your experience soon.

Hi Everyone,

I guess I'm looking for some support or some words of wisdom. I recently reached my goal weight by doing the Cohens lifestyle diet, I recieved my refeed program but I keep messing up, basically I get so far in and completely fall of the horse and have to go back to my original program for 7 days to reset all the hormones then get back into the refeed, for some crazy reason I just keep messing up, I think I have attempted like 5 times now, all I want is to complete this, I really enjoy the diet and loved the results and felt the best I have ever felt when I'm sticking too it. When I mess up I'm turning to the worst kind of foods like chocolate, biscuits etc and I just tell myself I'll start over tomorrow so I usually end up binging to make the most of the day that I messed up with the notion that I'll start over tomorrow and tomorrow arrives and I just can't seem to get back into it, I know its a habbit but its so hard to break. I'm too ashamed to tell my consultant, she is an advocate for the program and I just don't think she would understand, is there anybody out there who can help me or has been through something similar?

Fallen Angel x:angelsad2:

Fallen Angel, I'm probably not the best person to give "advice" because I blew it first time around completely. It was really hard because we had to suddenly get a house ready to sell with lots of half-completed projects, I just about killed myself installing gardens, cleaning up and getting rid of mess, marketing it and so on, taking on the stress of a huge new project over here. I felt like I didn't have a single spare minute to think about what I ate, just lived off a lot of fast food etc.

But... I'm doing this again, not perfectly, and have realised the biggest battle of all is the battle that goes on in the mind. I have just had to revisit the original reasons I wanted to do this, and increasing minor health problems scared me into action.

If necessary, spend a day alone just doing some headwork, writing out everything you originally set out to achieve, all the good things you felt whilst on Cohen's, all the awful things you feel when you have a binge day. Totally get rid of every single last thing that is a strong attraction to you in the food line. Make sure you don't have cash in your wallet when you go out, you take Cohen-friendly food with snacks, and maybe leave your credit card home too if you don't absolutely need it.

I know I have to treat food as an addiction, same as if I were an alcoholic. I have a very bad and very strong desire to use food as a source of comfort and problem solving, and it sure doesn't do either. You maybe get 5 minutes of nice tastebuds, but after that - the self-loathing, negative self-talk and feeling yuk sets in. There really is no food worth that much.

Don't forget to give yourself credit for everything you have achieved so far. Even a small rise on the scales isn't a total catastrophe. The only catastrophe is giving up altogether and not trying at all.

I'd probably go back to Cohen basics again for a while and then try and start over with the refeed process. I'm going to have the same battle in a few months, so you can come back and tell me how you did it! If you want it really badly, you eventually will! Do it by the rule if you can - but if not, then do as well as you can. Just don't ever, ever, give up!!! "Overcoming" sometimes consists of lots of efforts to keep trying. I don't think there's a magic place we get to where we'll never have a problem again.

Anyway, hope someone else who's done a better long-term job than me will give you some good tips.

Hi FALLEN ANGEL!

Ag no man! SHAME!!! I feel you frustration to the bone! Shame man!:willy_nilly: I havnt gotten to refeed yet, so dont have much advise on that side!

I KNOW that this piece of advise has been going around-- for me its helped!

Try to take it one day at a time, then start breaking it down to 5 hrs-- Get breakfast right, then try to keep out till lunch, get that right and then again till dinner! Smaller 'pieces' of time may help you to not feel so overwhelmed with THE WHOLE DAY!

I also now that Im on my last few weeks (my motivation wheels has also run flat before) Ive stuck a calender on my door and I make a 1 if I completed the whole day and a 2 for the next .... so I keep counting!

Lady keep strong and also dont fred on yesterdays mistakes-- TODAY IS A BRAND NEW DAY! Take it! You are only human :)

We voting for you and I know you can do this! 4 days! TRY TO KEEP OUT FOR JUST 4 DAYS-- you'll see that it will happen!

mwah!:biggrinjester:

Fallen Angel- All of the above is good advice. I would tell your consultant. Sure she's an advocate for the program but she is also on your side. It sounds like self-sabotage & most of us need help on that front. It may be that you are scared of losing the boundaries. Speak up & ask your consultant for her help. That's what we pay good money for. Finish what you started FA. You will feel much better for it. Cheers, cate

Hey every1,

about cohens diet. The clinic is auzzi based and i live in nz.

can some of you share your meal plans or is it confidential???

I use 2 weigh 125 now at 102 and hopefully end of this year ill
be 80-85 with a nice body.

When im successful ill put before and after pictures on here :).

Thanks much.

Hi Fit-2-be & welcome to the forum. Cohen's is not Aussie based & comes originally I think from South Africa. It is available to you in New Zealand & the link is .
The program is confidential and is covered by copyright so we are not able to pass on our individual plans to anyone else. They are tailored to each of us after having blood tests & we are monitored regularly.
Cohen's teaches you how to eat healthily and I know that, after trying most other 'diets' which taught me very little, I now feel able to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. It works! Keep in touch with us regardless of what you choose. If you do choose to do the program you will recieve lots of moral support from a wonderful group of people here in this forum. Cheers for now, Cate.

Hi Fit-2-be & welcome to the forum. Cohen's is not Aussie based & comes originally I think from South Africa. It is available to you in New Zealand & the link is .
The program is confidential and is covered by copyright so we are not able to pass on our individual plans to anyone else. They are tailored to each of us after having blood tests & we are monitored regularly.
Cohen's teaches you how to eat healthily and I know that, after trying most other 'diets' which taught me very little, I now feel able to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. It works! Keep in touch with us regardless of what you choose. If you do choose to do the program you will recieve lots of moral support from a wonderful group of people here in this forum. Cheers for now, Cate.

Hey cate, thanks for the info. Unfortunitally there is only one clinic in New Zealand and thats in the South Island, I Live on the North Island. I Think ill just stick 2 my diet. its seems to be working anyway.

Hi Fit-2-be. That's good. Although we have consultants here in Aus mine was 3 hours away & I did not see her once after signing up. I'm sure that you would be able to sign up through the NZ office & have email & phone contact & be able to arrange blood tests. Keepit in mind. I didn't need to have face-to-face contact. Good luck with whatever you choose, cheers, cate.

Hey every1,

about cohens diet. The clinic is auzzi based and i live in nz.

can some of you share your meal plans or is it confidential???

I use 2 weigh 125 now at 102 and hopefully end of this year ill
be 80-85 with a nice body.

When im successful ill put before and after pictures on here :).

Thanks much.

Hi Fit2be
I am based in NZ as well- In wellington. I started cohens in perth and moved over here a month later- You can do the course by distance as long as you put good support around you. If you would like i will be more than happy to help support you through the course.
The cohens program is put together for the individual person- so while you could in theory use our program it may backfire- in the same way most other diets do. Please go through the program properly- it is so worth it. I have lost over thirty kilos and have yet to weigh myself this month- gone from a size 22 to a size 10- i am almost literally half the person that i was after having my kids.
I am not so far from my goal weight- still about 10 kilos last weigh in.
There is also a clinic that is opening up in auckland- you should check it out. I can get numbers for you if you like.
The clinic that i have been going to has been great for support and information- via the phone and email.

Jodi

Hi Fit2be
I am based in NZ as well- In wellington. I started cohens in perth and moved over here a month later- You can do the course by distance as long as you put good support around you. If you would like i will be more than happy to help support you through the course.
The cohens program is put together for the individual person- so while you could in theory use our program it may backfire- in the same way most other diets do. Please go through the program properly- it is so worth it. I have lost over thirty kilos and have yet to weigh myself this month- gone from a size 22 to a size 10- i am almost literally half the person that i was after having my kids.
I am not so far from my goal weight- still about 10 kilos last weigh in.
There is also a clinic that is opening up in auckland- you should check it out. I can get numbers for you if you like.
The clinic that i have been going to has been great for support and information- via the phone and email.

Jodi

Hey Jodi,

Thanks for the reply, and glad to hear there are others in nz on this forum and that your nearly at your goal weight :party:. I've dropped from 125kgs to 100kgs on my own and im trying to become 85 by the end of this year.

If a new clinic opens in auck i might consider going if my own diet doesnt help me. If you can supply me with the number of the auckland clinic that would be very help full.

Faithfully,

Martin.

My thoughts on deviating on Cohen's-
These are some of my thoughts(& some borrowed from Cohen's friends) on following the plan 100% right through until you get to goal weight.
Yes, you have to follow the plan absolutely. If you keep deviating your hormones don't have a chance to settle down. However, what is more important is that you have to realise that this is not a few months of your life. This is your life from now on. Getting your body right is only part of what you need to do. The main part is to get your head right. You have to realise that you are not going to be able to complete this plan then go back to eating exactly as you did before. It's not magic. You have faulty hormones. You can keep them under control, but unless you look after them, they will get out of control again. If you can't get them under control in the first place because you keep deviating, how will you ever manage to keep them under control once you finish? This is for life- your life!

I believe that there are a lot of emotional reasons for many of us being overweight. We are covering ourselves with layers of fat to insulate and protect us against something that has happened to us or has threatened us. We need to identify and address these issues as well as tackle the outward manifestation of the issue, the fat itself.

While it's fine for anyone to consider deviating off the plan (it's your life) I don't think it's fine for anyone to recommend it & I don't think it's ever a good idea. You would be spending your money on Cohen's but not really giving it a chance to work properly.
The saying by Yoda- "Do or do not, there is no try" seems to apply well to Cohen's but really to almost anything you want to do in life. You are not trying to lose weight you have chosen to actually lose weight.
Follow Cohen's 100% & it works. It's strict & restrictive & it's black & white. There are no grey areas. You don't have to wonder whether or not you should eat something. It's all in there for you. For me, that was great. We are surrounded by so much conflicting advice about what we should & shouldn't eat. With Cohen's the only real decision you need to make is how you are going to prepare your meal from the healthy choices available to you. It's simple really.
I think that in order to be successful at losing weight & keeping it off everyone has to address the issue of why they overeat and their slim friends do not. We must learn some self-discipline so that we can face challenges in the future. Learning to cope with hunger & cravings is another. We're not about to starve to death.

To me, a deviation or a planned deviation is a sign that you are not really committed 100%. It's a danger sign & if you're not totally committed perhaps you need to work on your head. It will be hard to maintain your goal weight unless you understand yourself. It's not necessarily going to be easy & is an ongoing process as well & not something that will happen overnight.
There will always be a function, a holiday or some excuse for thinking about deviating. Being on Cohen's is like being pregnant. You either are pregnant or you're not.

Being on Cohen's & feeling great you start to imagine that you might be able to take a night off or a week-end for example & then go back easily onto plan easily.
Wrong! There are many who will tell you just how hard that is. Thanks to reading posts from people who had deviated & then really struggled to get back on plan (some never did!) I decided to stick to it 100% for 28 weeks until I got to goal. I will be forever grateful to them. I learned by their mistakes. I was petrified that I would stuff it up! I will admit to being so scared that I would end up putting all that weight on again if I deviated, even just that once!

I have probably gone on too much about this & if anyone is offended then that would be wrong to be but I would be sorry. It is not personal & never is with me. I just do feel very strongly about it. I so want everyone to succeed with the program & to become the slim & healthy people that you so want to be. Please don't jeopardise it. I actually really care what happens to all of you & I wish the best for each & every one of you xo Cate.
PS Maintenance is not difficult if you follow the guidelines. Everything will be available to you when you reach your goal weight. Nothing is off limits then. It's only a short time that we do this compared to the length of our lives.

Last edited:
Back