Club 170s

Still down a little, but not a lot. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

LaMa, I know that BMI doesn't work well for the individual, but at the population level it isn't so bad is it? What I think it says is that on average for any give height men and women should weigh about the same, on average. At the individual level there are lots of other important variables in addition to height, as you say muscle content is one, and I assume there are other body shape things that matter.

What may play a role on population level is that men tend toward visceral fat whereas women usually have more of the subcutaneous kind. Meaning that on average overweight gets dangerous earlier than for women. By the way I have come across places where healthy bmi for women was quoted as 19-24 and for men as 20-25. Take that as you will. One of my BILs is almost 6 ft 7, weighs a little less than I currently do, therefore has a bmi of 19, and according to the NHS' calculator that means he's a healthy weight. They go down to 18.5 for men.

170 and I am at the door! Actually I saw 169 this morning, but Monday and Tuesday were higher, so my rolling average official weight for this week is 170. It will be good to move on soon.

I think I´m still allowed in - although if I´m not careful I´ll have to go up one door :eek: Ok, I checked and I´m around 174 so it´s not as bad as my metric brain thought :)

Good to hear another voice in these echoing halls! :)
It's great for arithmetic practice, isn't it, to be frequently converting from one system to another? I'm an absolute wiz at X times 2.2, myself, and then there's dividing by 14, to get stones - and I think I once saw overlandflyer calculating in newtons, or pascals or something, which was confusing, but fun. :D

Newtons I can do but pascals confuse me, probably because I never need them irl. Ok, I don't normally need newtons either so that's probably just a highschool spandrel :p
So... 170 lbs is around 76.5 kg, right? I think I can do that by the end of August.

Hey y'all, I am in the next room down just waiting for you. Come on down!

I am like Amy, pretty good at metric - imperial conversions. As an engineer here you have to work in both, though I grew up thinking in the imperial system, so its most intuitive. Temperature is one of the hardest for me to do in my head, something about F to C that makes it hard.

The stone is new to me, not used in the US, but it seems kind of intuitive also. We have some unique measures used here, for example water is often measured in acre-feet, the volume of water 1 foot deep covering an acre, 325,851 gallons or 1,233,481 liters. The irrigation water I use for my peaches is measured that way, I have an annual water right to use 7.5 acre-feet. One of my favorite units is the beard second, the distance the average beard grows in one second, 5 to 10 nano-meters depending on who's standard you use. Then there's the New York Minute, not sure of the conversion, but it is really quick.

I find Fahrenheit/Celsius difficult because they don't share a zero so it's not a simple multiplication/division like the others.

Weighed in at 76.7kg today and it turns out that´s apparently 169 lbs??? If I don´t overdo it this weekend I´m out of here!

Not expecting to still be below 170 (77.1 kg) tomorrow morning but if I sleep well I have a chance.

Oh cheers for your being pretty much out the door, LaMa! :hurray: I crept back in here, thinking it'd be empty and dusty in here, and I'm just in time to catch a glimpse of you leaving! (I'm well up the other end of the hall, alas, but newly determined to make a go of things.)

Just realized that with not checking in on the 160s for so long I ended up losing my membership! So I´m back here, and while it´s not a bad place I don´t want to get so comfortable I slip back in to the wrong neighboring club. So... time to pick myself up again, I guess. Sugarfree November may be looking a little bleak today but I´m pretty sure it´ll help me in the long run.

Back