Cate's Diary

Sometimes I plan out my imaginary wedding - not ready to plan out the funeral just yet!

That ceremony sounded really lovely, Cate.
I love that my husband isn't afraid to show his emotions.
I love that too.

I always feel like planning our funerals every time we go to one & that is happening more often than I would like. I'll try to keep going with it, maybe just a little bit each week. I do want to be able to make people laugh a little. We have had good lives.
Sometimes I plan out my imaginary wedding - not ready to plan out the funeral just yet!

That ceremony sounded really lovely, Cate.

I love that too.
It was lovely, Em. G is very kind & open-hearted. I hit on a winner there. I never used to dream or plan my wedding as mostly I hate all the fuss, especially if I am at the centre of it. We eloped & I loved it. I have no regrets about doing that.

My focus has strayed again from losing weight, which is a shame as we are going away in a little less than 5 weeks & the weather will be hot, compared to here. It's too late to do much about that though. I'll try to lose a little bit before then but I can't seem to knuckle down. One or 2 glasses of wine have crept back in most days again.

I hope the vacation does you good and is relaxing so when you get back weight loss will be easier. Sorry about you having to go to so many friends' funerals. That must be really hard.

My focus has strayed again from losing weight, which is a shame as we are going away in a little less than 5 weeks & the weather will be hot, compared to here. It's too late to do much about that though.
Maybe you can't do much now but there's a big difference between losing 3 pounds and gaining them so focusing still makes sense, even if it's only to make getting back on track afterwards easier.

I hope the vacation does you good and is relaxing so when you get back weight loss will be easier.
Thanks, M. I hope so too. I'll weigh myself again tomorrow & try, try, try to have another crack.
Sorry about you having to go to so many friends' funerals. That must be really hard.
It is, but hopefully, there will be no more for a while. I'm not feeling at all miserable
Maybe you can't do much now but there's a big difference between losing 3 pounds and gaining them so focusing still makes sense, even if it's only to make getting back on track afterwards easier.
I'll stay on the ball, LaMa. If I drop even one kilo between now & then it will be one less I have to lose.

I have had an incredibly busy day. I mentioned to G that we might do a job today & he took me up on the offer. The drains around the house(where we had a snake at one stage) hadn't been cleaned since we had them put in. We knew they were full of leaves. We lifted up all of the covers & cleaned all of the rims & the actual drains. It was back-breaking work & I think we'll both be hardly able to walk tomorrow. We did a great job. It took hours!

Ugh, I did that twice a year on our old house because the roofs would get covered in branches and leaves. I really empathize with having to do that after a big build up!

Do you think it would help to pick up some non-alcoholic wine again? I notice how crave-y for sugar I get if I run out of frozen blueberries, which is my emergency dessert. I have been thinking lately that I'll make a list of emergency good-for-me foods.

Ugh, I did that twice a year on our old house because the roofs would get covered in branches and leaves. I really empathize with having to do that after a big build up!
We haven't tackled the roof yet & I don't think we should. We have one more small square drain to do next. That will require gloves. I saw a rat go down it about a month ago. *shudder*
Do you think it would help to pick up some non-alcoholic wine again? I notice how crave-y for sugar I get if I run out of frozen blueberries, which is my emergency dessert. I have been thinking lately that I'll make a list of emergency good-for-me foods.
I have some non-alcoholic wine but it's bubbly & we almost always feel like red wine. It's getting a bit cool for bubbly. I had one small glass only last night & I won't have one tonight as G is playing golf during the day & will have 1 or 2 then tonight he's going to play pool. I also will not have any chocolate while he is out tonight. I will cut up fruit so that we have a selection handy at all times. I'll also take some with us this weekend as we're going away for a couple of nights to Hobart. I'll take a non-alcoholic bubbly with me this weekend.
I'll go finish logging yesterday's food etc & come back.....
Cals 1455. I have changed my cals to 1400. I think 1200 was putting too much pressure on myself. Yesterday I had some cake that G made. I'll freeze it & he can have it as a pudding. I didn't much like it but didn't want to tell him. 255 cals yesterday was one small piece with ice cream.
BF this morning was oats with a small banana & a few berries, nuts & a dollop of yoghurt. I think I'm a bit sick of it. It does stick to your guts though. I really feel like having cheese & cold meat for breakfast or eggs. Egg hoppers would be nice with some lentil curry!

I think it's good not to put pressure on yourself. I am experimenting with how to make this weight loss thing more carrot than stick. I don't do well with the stick if it's for a prolonged time period. I think it's a really good idea cutting up fruit so it's always there for you, and your alternative breakfasts sound delicious!! Is G doing better at moderation with going out? I really hope so!!

Also, more ugh to clearing out the drain with the rat!

Last edited:
Thanks, M. The more carrot than stick approach is much better for me too. I think I need to allow myself a glass of wine if it's within 1400 cals, knowing that if I don't have it I will lose quicker. G is doing better with moderation when he goes out. He likes to drink but rarely to excess. His capacity is not high.
The drain will have to wait. Maybe tomorrow.
I have my final appointment with the ophthalmologist today. I must ask him when I should see about getting new glasses & what sort. I have been using my old ones for the computer & reading but take them off for walking & driving.
We'll do a little shopping & I am going to get a much-needed haircut. We may get sushi today.

Oooo, sushi without Southern seasoning in it sounds delectable! I have to learn to make it myself, because I really miss it.

I think having the wine count for your calories is a great idea. I have heard that a half glass of wine a day can have health benefits and it's a small enough amount that you don't get the negatives. Maybe you could get out a little fancy desert wine glass or something to make it smaller, but special?

I need glasses, too. I wish I had remembered that before I moved. I have to figure out health care here.

Hope you have a nice time shopping and sushi-ing!

A small ham omelet with veggies sounds like an excellent breakfast to me. And if you whip up the egg white it feels like you're eating a lot for not a lot of calories.

Thanks, Marsia, LaMa & Em. Our day was very tiring but quite successful. I will need to get new prescription glasses for reading I think, but there's no hurry. I think I'll wait until we get back from Queensland. I'm spending enough at the moment.
I did manage to buy new Merrell Goretex mid hiking shoes on clearance, which was lucky. I'm going to wear them today walking Arch. He's a bit off-colour today. He often gets a bit of an upset stomach but comes right within a day.
I also bought 2 pairs of winter PJs. We bought sushi & had it when we got home. It was scrumptious.
I had one small glass of wine before dinner.
Cals were 1257.
BF this morning is one of my favourites- 2 eggs & 1/4 avocado on 2 small GF toast with a little homemade tomato sauce. 341 cals.

Good shoes are so important. I don't spend a lot on clothes but shoes have to be quality.
:iagree:
I went for a 2km up & downhill walk with Arch & found the shoes really supportive & comfortable. I must look up what socks you should wear hiking to prevent blisters again. I know I did when Rob was doing lots of hiking & got blisters but have forgotten :blush5:
I just looked it up. Merino wool is best & definitely not cotton. I might get some specific hiking socks I think.
https://www.kathmandu.com.au/how-to-prevent-blisters-when-hiking I bought my shoes at Katmandu. I really like their stores. We have some great outdoor shops in Tassie. Having proper hiking shoes again feels good. Next for some waterproof overpants.....

OK. With 4 weeks to go before we fly to Queensland, I am going to attempt to lose 2 kg. I just changed my MFP goal to 1280 cals per day. BF was 310 cals.
I found this article this morning & I think it's interesting & worth having a look at on a regular basis.
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/Nutrition-needs-when-youre-over-65
I will go have a shower & take Arch for a walk before it rains & then get ready to go away for a couple of days. We will be eating out both nights & having breakfast at our accommodation place but I am going to do my best to eat well & drink moderately. I will walk a lot.

Back