Cate's Diary

Cate

Long term member
Edit: 2021- In 2007 I lost 36kg in 28 weeks, following Cohen's Lifestyle Program. I stay in the forum to maintain my enthusiasm & to help keep me committed to a healthy lifestyle & to offer support. I eat most foods in moderation, but very little takeaway or processed food.
My original post-
Hi, I have been on the Cohen's Lifestyle program for 9 weeks today.
I am 175cm tall, my start weight was 105kg[was actually 111kg- my scales at home were inaccurate!!), size 24 (!), in my 50's & have battled weight problems for most of my life. I am starting this diary to record my progress from now on as I am feeling so positive about my prospects of becoming a slim, healthy woman for the first time since my 20's.
I used to be very active, out-going & loved playing sport. I am going to change my life & become an active participant in life again.
I am happily married with grown sons & live in a beautiful place where I am close to nature. Life is good & getting better day by day!
I am trying hard not to weigh myself before my next 4 wks is up but it is such a struggle. I asked my husband to hide the scales but I found them within 5 minutes. I haven't told him that I found them though.
One thing I struggle with is I'm afraid that I am boring people talking about the diet. I think about it most of the day.This is probably why I am starting the diary. I love reading about people's experiences in the forum and it is really helping me a lot. I am not sure what anyone would want to know about me. I don't see my weight loss as huge yet so am not sure if I can help others.
1 think I do know that the biggest key to my sticking to the plan is to be prepared. I have vegetables prepared & in containers in the fridge. I always have the next day's meals planned. I freeze meat into meal portions & I try not to have certain foods in the house. Luckily my husband hates junk food so we do not eat potato chips or drink soft drink. I also feel really focused on losing weight this time & keeping it off for the rest of my life. I never want to feel ashamed of my body again.
I will try to add something each day & will answer any questions. Hope to hear from you, cheers, Cate

Edited:
There are various useful sites online for dietary guidelines. Some of these are-
Australian Guide to Healthy Eating | Eat For Health
Choose MyPlate
The eatwell guide - A revised healthy eating model - British Nutrition Foundation

Last edited:
Hi Cate

Good for you for starting a diary - there are others who would have started at the same time or have similiar amounts to lose who will easily relate to you. I am sure for every person that posts in here there are many others who read the posts for encouragement.

OF course we want to know about you and how you are going.......every other person's success on this plan inspires me to keep going even when things get tough. YOU WILL BE INSPIRING OTHERS - isn't that fantastic.

COngrats on the weight loss so far and please don't be worried about boring us with the eating plan, as we are living it too.

Talk soon
Sharon

Hi Cate

Ditto with what Sharon said. When I joined Cohen's I did not tell anyone except my hubby and he was very supportive. The reason for not telling anyone was due to my constant carry on about losing and joining so may other programmes and not succeeding, so with Cohen's I wanted to succeed then tell all who wanted to know.

This forum has been great for off loading, listening, sharing, learning and making friends. So don't ever be afraid to vent.

Welcome Cate and well done and your loss so far and for prior planning which is what Cohen's is all about.

Sam:)

Thanks Sam & Sharon, It is really encouraging to know that you are sharing the journey & that such support is there when you need it.
I had a haircut this morning(not good!) and went shopping after. It was the first time that I left eating too long & felt quite dizzy. Usually I have a cracker or a piece of fruit in my bag but today I didn't. It wasn't a good feeling but another lesson learnt! I didn't succumb to temptation though.
My husband, who is lovely & very supportive, woke up very early this morning & sounded very insecure. He seems to be worried that I may become interested in others when I am slim. This will never happen! Help! How can I reassure him? He loves me fat or slim I know but I didn't love myself fat. I want him to feel confident in our relationship but it can be hard sometimes. I think being so absorbed in the diet may be partly to blame. I had better focus more on him. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated. He is very jealous-always has been. I find that exhausting & exasperating.

Hi Cate,

I love reading everybodies diaries so thanks for starting one and adding another one on my list to read. I find diaries so interesting and can relate to so many of you that they really do make my cohens journey so much more enjoyable.

Re: jealous hubby sorry not good at giving advice but I do know that as I am losing weight and feeling better both physically and mentally and am also starting to like myself again (fell out of love with myself when I piled all this weight on) my husband is noticing a difference in me as I am much more affectionate to him now than I was 7 weeks ago and it's only getting better. I think I have a point here, the better I feel and the more I like myself the more it reflects on our relationship...I hope that makes sense.

TTFN
Annie Lusion

My husband, who is lovely & very supportive, woke up very early this morning & sounded very insecure. He seems to be worried that I may become interested in others when I am slim. QUOTE]

Hi cate! I can relate to what u wrote. I've lost about 9 kgs so far & my husband told me to stop right here!! One of these days i'm going to have him visit this forum & educate himself!!:)

Annie & Rashmi, I was worried about nothing apparently. Phew! He was joking. I don't wake well as I'm usually(prior to Cohen's) such a night owl & I thought he was serious. I too have felt much more affectionate towards him & had wondered where this idea had come from. He was just being cheeky as he had given me a cuddle & felt how much less of me there was. He has been terrific & very supportive & has been cooking a lot of my meals for me lately.
Do you have a diary Annie? I may not write in this daily but will see how I go.
Cheers fellow Cohenites, Cate

I went out tonight & just got home(11pm) It was chilly & raining when I left & I had trouble finding something to wear. I have to fold my pants over at the top as they're really baggy. I tried on a zip-up jacket that I have never been able to get close to doing up & it fits perfectly. I have a few things to wear that I grew out of years ago but I really do not want to shop until I am at goal weight. I might have to start op-shopping I think for a while. It's probably the logical thing to do.
I am so looking forward to being slim. It shocks me to feel so confident that I will become slim. I will buy clothes at a "normal" store not a "fat shop" as I call them. Fast forward the next few months........!! Good night, Cate

Hi Cate:)

So glad you and your hubby worked things out.
I felt the difference in my clothes within the first 2 weeks of Cohen's it's an amazing feeling isn't it?
I actually bought a few items each time I lost and that was also a good gage for me to see how I was going because I didn't weigh in till my 4 week visits to clinic. I also have clothes in smaller sizes from my pre-children days and I am wearing those now.

ATB - Sam

Came home from work early today. Aching neck, head-ache, back ache- moan, moan. I thought I must have slept funny but apparently it's a bug going around work.
Sam, I too noticed a change in size within a couple of weeks, but everything just became baggy. I think I will have to go out & buy a couple of things soon but I still have such a long way to go. I have always given clothes away but luckily kept some favourites that I hoped I would be able to wear again or bought some things that never really fitted me but now do. It's getting pretty chilly here so I will have to buy some winter clothes soon. I keep thinking I'll wait another 4 weeks.... see what size I am then but in the meantime feel pretty daggy! No deviations at all-even though I feel like cxxp!xo Cate.

hi cate just stopping by to hope your feeling better from that nasty bug! it sucks when your sick doesnt it, i lost my voice over the weekend due to the conditioners at work being too cold and i couldnt even have comfort pumpkin soup (what i usually have when im sick) or throat lozenges! :)

as for the sizes thing, its strange that as you get a little smaller, your clothes start getting smaller and then for some reason you automatically head to the 'big' side of the shops because it was second nature to before.

im definately going to enjoy shopping for winter clothes in the coming months :)

your going terrific keep it up!!

lots love caroline xx

I know just what you girls mean - I have gone from a 14/16D bra to a 10B, so have had to buy lots of new stuff - even my feet have gone down a size.

Lots of fun but.......

Cheers
Sharon:D

OHMYGODDDDDD!!!!
about the bra thing (sorry if it seems im highjacking your thread cate!)

but SERIOUSLY i used to have a good amount/ set of knockers if i do say so myself!

and now my mountains have turned into molehills!!...quite sad really..,

but then again id rather have a nice skinny bod then be a huge mamma with oversized balloons!! :p

Annie & Rashmi, I was worried about nothing apparently. Phew! He was joking. I don't wake well as I'm usually(prior to Cohen's) such a night owl & I thought he was serious. I too have felt much more affectionate towards him & had wondered where this idea had come from. He was just being cheeky as he had given me a cuddle & felt how much less of me there was. He has been terrific & very supportive & has been cooking a lot of my meals for me lately.
Do you have a diary Annie? I may not write in this daily but will see how I go.
Cheers fellow Cohenites, Cate

Hello Cate,
Glad to hear that hubby was joking and all is ok :)
It does help when you can really rely on your hubby or partner and without mine I couldn't have done this.. he is so supportive and complimentary all the time..it helps you keep going and going!
I don't have a diary, I am more of a reader than a writer, really enjoy reading everybody elses diaries and posts.

Hope your feeling better soon !

TTFN
Annie Lusion

You crack me up

OHMYGODDDDDD!!!!
about the bra thing (sorry if it seems im highjacking your thread cate!)

but SERIOUSLY i used to have a good amount/ set of knockers if i do say so myself!

and now my mountains have turned into molehills!!...quite sad really..,

but then again id rather have a nice skinny bod then be a huge mamma with oversized balloons!! :p

:D :D Caroline you are so witty........your threads are an unlikey diversion from getting back into my old patterns and sitting down with a cuppa and biscuits.:eek:

I am sorry as well cate for hijacking your thread.;)

Sam:D

Mountains becoming mole hills

Me when I got home from work-:(
After I read Caroline's post-:) :D
I wrote in my diary last night but something happened & it would not post.
You really made me laugh thank you gals,so please don't apologise for "stealing my thread". I had been feeling dreadful & making me laugh was no mean feat yesterday!!
I don't want my diary to be a self-indulgent thing & I really enjoy your comments & support.
My fat mountains are also now pathetic little mole hills:eek:
If the fat came off the bum, thighs and belly first & left the boobs until last who would get to goal weight I ask??
I'm going to experiment with fonts etc so please excuse me if it looks silly.
Feeling a bit better today. A little bit of TLC from hubby is nice & a sleep-in this morning. I've been feeling tired this last week.
Still focussed on getting to my goal weight though. I haven't deviated once even though I am often hungry in the evening. Any tips other than drinking more water? I try to spread my fruit & crackers out but the colder weather is def. making me hungry!! Cheers, Cate

Annie, Thank you for your kind thoughts. It's nice when you're feeling bad to get a boost. I am not normally a writer of diaries(that I share) either but decided to do something out of character. I'm usually a reader only. I probably contribute more to things these days than I did when I was younger. What the heck I decided. Cheers, Cate

Hi Cate

I apologise for not passing on my concerns regards your illness. I got completely carried away with Carolines posts. (I am glad she made you feel better) that was a great read.

I hope you have a nice rest over the weekend and are feeling better by Monday.

All the best
Sam:)

oh nice to know i cheered you up cate! umm even though i was being deadly serious......

haha :)

i got my refeed today, im still deciding whether i want to start on monday or tuesday...i think it scares me more then anything because its so fiddly by the end of it ill be a skilled mathemetician!

hope your having a fantastic weekend :)

Back