stuck and frustrated. help welcome.

I've been stuck at the same weight for 5 weeks, despite staying in the recommended calorie range on sparkpeople (it factors in your exercise output and came up with a range of 1450-1750 calories to eat) & working out regularly. So far I've tried changing my workout routine, increased weight lifting, do short burts of HIIT, tried staying at the low end of the calorie range, staying at the high end of the calorie range, mixing it up day to day, and trying to vary what I eat -- not just the same favorites. I'm finding it hard to deal with the frustration, and i cant figure out how to break this plateau. anybody have a clue as to help me? (before i jump!) :mad:

stats: 29 yrs old, 5'5'', 143 lbs, goal weight: 128 lbs, cardio 4x/week - weight training 3 x/week....

i also break up my calories into 5-6 meals eating every few hours around 250-300 calories at a time with LOTS of water.

maybe i should start doing the calories in - calories out and get a "net" like some do and make sure that "net" is 1700 vs. having calories IN = 1700???? i use sparkpeople and it breaks it down by your activity level and if i burn 3000 calories/week (which i do) it says to eat from 1450-1750/day....now i'm questioning if that is enough? does that make any sense??

then i go to :

and it says based on age/weight/5 x a week of intense exercise -

Maintenance: 2133 Calories/day
Fat Loss: 1706 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss: 1280 Calories/day

so why am i not losing at 1700 calories in/day??
anybody have good plateau buster that i didnt try??

your body has probably found a comfortable bodyfat...once you hit this it can be difficult to lose more so it's best to maintain it for about 4 weeks (not trying to lose in that time) and then try again after that with a new plan with stuff you haven't done before so as to really shock the body

Skyler you're all over the place. A lot of times it just takes a simple change in certain areas (whether nutrition/or activites) to make a huge difference. First off, are you keeping any type of journal for training and nutrition?
If not get in the habit of doing so.
Second, these guesstimated input/outputs seem pretty "gappy". Calories are decieving suckers. Make sure you understand macronutrients before you try to address caloric intake.
Don't get frustrated just yet. Take a few steps back to make sure your training is showing progression and your nutrition is understandable to you.....so you know the effects of certain macronutrients at certain times.

Good luck

Hmm.. all over the place? b/c i am trying too many things to change over the past month or so? Yes, I keep a journal within sparkpeople.com for training and nutrition religiously.

the inputs and outputs are not meant to sound "gappy" as i do record them within sparkpeople and also on a spreadsheet daily. intake is average of 1700 calories/week cycled usually and net after exercise, comes out to 1300 calories....that is what i dont understand. Should the NET be what I watch and make sure I am not in starvation mode (i was there before) or the intake only?

i also am sure to eat 5-6 meals at 250-300 cals at a time - a protein & carb & healthy fat together and decrease carbs as the day goes on...

any thoughts onto where i can "understand macronutrients better" to move forward with my goals?

Well if your this far along in caloric management Skyler....I'm pretty sure or at least hoping you know the factors behind certain proteins, carbs, and fats.
I like john berardi's info best. He has his own website....just google his name....or go to t-nation for some of his articles

Skyler give a list of you daily diet in detail and what exactly you do in your cardio and weight training routine. I am sure just some fine tuning may make a difference. And calorie bouncing is a good thing. It could be you get to many carbs, could be you have a milk allergy, could be anything, so post that diet and routine lets see.

you can try doing cardio with dumbells

Back