Calcium keeps our bones and teeth strong. One of the best ways to get bone-and-teeth, building calcium is through dairy products. However, the problem is, dairy products are often high in fat and calories. To solve this problem you must choose a low-fat milk, yogurt and cheese, especially for children. As children over two years of age as long as they are getting sufficient fat from other dietary sources, these low- fat dairy products are safe, delicious and healthy way to stock up on vital nutrients. According to O' Rourke, the best options are going to be non-fat or 1% milk with no sugar. Better if you will also try to mix fresh fruit to a plain non-fat yogurt. Try this healthy and delicious dessert for your family.
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla extract
- Fruits slices, sections, chunks or whole berries
- Put a paper coffee filter in a small strainer. Spoon the yogurt into the filter and let it drain, refrigerated for an hour or more. It will drain out some of the liquid for a richer and creamier dip. The longer you drain, the thicker the yogurt becomes.
- Dump the drained yogurt into a small bowl. Add the brown sugar and vanilla, stirring it until the sugar is dissolve.
- Serve with desired fruit.
- This desert can make up to about 2 servings. You’ll be sweet on this vanilla and brown sugar scented yogurt dip, and surely it will help your family get their daily servings of fresh fruit. Mixed fruit like berries, bananas, nectarines and melon go wonderfully with this delightful dip.