Meatballs with high-fiber cereal served over delectable whole wheat pasta. -
- 3/4 cup Fiber One® original bran cereal
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 6 oz uncooked whole wheat angel hair (capellini) pasta
- Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and finely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or finely crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, mix cereal, ground beef, 1/4 cup cheese, the Italian seasoning, garlic powder and 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce until well blended. Shape into 16 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs.
- Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Cook meatballs in skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned. Drain if necessary. Add remaining tomato sauce, tomatoes and red pepper to skillet; turn meatballs to coat.
- Cover; cook over medium-low heat 15 to 20 minutes, stirring sauce and turning meatballs occasionally, until meatballs are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center.
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Serve meatballs over pasta. Top each serving with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley.