This is the best "healthy" cookie. Great choice for breakfast on the run.
- 1/4 cup light butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked old fashioned oats (or quick)
- 1/2 cup apple, chopped (or dried apples)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer; beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs and beat for 30 seconds; add applesauce and beat just to mix.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; add to mixer and beat to form batter. Mix in oats. Add apples, cranberries and walnuts; combine by hand.
- Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons 1 inch apart. Bake until cookies are lightly browned and firm, about 13 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Move to wire rack and cool completely. Note: Store leftovers in an airtight plastic bag or container in the freezer.