Variants of popular lemon square with a modification to make it more diabetic friendly.
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 oz butter, cold
- 2 oz shortening
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Several tablespoons of cold water
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Splenda Granular
- 2 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ tbsp freshly grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup crumbled amoretti cookies
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Mix in a large bowl, flours and almond meal.
- Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture until its coarse-meal textured.
- Stir in almond extract and 2 tbsp of cold water, add water gradually to form dough.
- Press into the bottom and partially up sides of a 8" square pan.
- Bake 10 minutes, allow to cool.
- Reduce oven to 350 degree F.
- Beat eggs, Splenda and honey with electric beaters until creamy.
- Mix in lemon juice, butter, and lemon rind.
- Pour mixture into baked pastry.
- Sprinkle amoretti crumbs over the lemon filling.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack and chill before serving.