Weight-Loss Vegetable Challenge

Weight-Loss
The judge says, "Three ... I'd count acorn squash, butternut squash, and yellow squash as three so peppers deserve the same respect!"

And don't worry about keeping up with cate, @overlandflyer, this is supposed to be a fun group effort that will hopefully make us all try something different. :)

Total vegetable count so far:
  1. Broccoli
  2. Cauliflower
  3. Onion/red onion
  4. Celery
  5. Choko/Chayote
  6. Turnip
  7. Parsnip
  8. Zucchini
  9. Spring onion
  10. Capsicum/Pepper
  11. wattle gum
  12. Green beans
  13. Lettuce
  14. Cucumbers
  15. Tomatoes
  16. Spinach
  17. Chard
  18. Kale
  19. Arugula
  20. Dandelion greens
  21. Beets
  22. Chives
  23. Bok choy
  24. Asparagus
  25. Shallots
  26. Seaweed
  27. Chickpeas
  28. Garlic
  29. Dill
  30. Capers
  31. Purple & green cabbage
  32. Carrots
  33. Jalapeno peppers
33 different kinds so far. That's a lot of veggies! Great job everyone!

My vegetables, day one:
lettuce,
perilla,
coriander,
cucumber.
potato
garlic
dill
tomato

Less veggies for me today than yesterday but here they are:

Kale, swiss chard, broccoli, spinach, kholrabi, and jicama.

Today I added an onion and sweet pepper to my list and in the interest of the apparently broadening definition of what a vegetable is I can also claim cherries, a banana, and red beans. I ate other veggies too, but they were same as yesterday.

I've lost count of how many that is for me, but I know I will never be able to match Cate or Flyer, so it doesn't matter much.

Vegetables – day two:

Carrot,
tomato,
capsicum,
lettuce,
cucumber
dill,
onion,
garlic,
potato,
mint,
basil,
and banana (which I’m claiming, because it was a main meal, in banana curry!)

In the interest of the apparently broadening definition of what a vegetable is I can also claim cherries, a banana, and red beans. I ate other veggies too, but they were same as yesterday.

I've lost count of how many that is for me, but I know I will never be able to match Cate or Flyer, so it doesn't matter much.

Curious to how cherries and bananas can be considered vegetables? To me, they fit the definition of a fruit perfectly: the sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seeds and can be eaten as food.

As for catching Cate and Flyer, let them run ahead. Play against yourself and win by eating more vegetables than you usually do :). Bragging rights are not for the "winners" of this contest alone!

I'll be sure to keep running totals for everyone when I post my daily updates.

Had to look it up, and it turns out to be hard to strictly define vegetables, a couple of definitions I found on online:

"A plant or part of a plant used as food, typically as accompaniment to meat or fish, such as a cabbage, potato, carrot, or bean."

and

"Vegetables are parts of plants that are consumed by humans or other animals as food. The original meaning is still commonly used and is applied to plants collectively to refer to all edible plant matter, including the flowers, fruits, stems, leaves, roots, and seeds". Wikipedia

The first is vague, but the second is pretty broad Either could include any fruit, and even grains. They don't even seem to eliminate processed foods. You might even be able to justify Twinkies under some convoluted interpretation of these definition - I don't know anyone who would believe that though. Mushrooms are are fungi, not plants, so are not included. Though many of us consider mushrooms as vegetables.

We all think we know what vegetables are, but I can find no consistent scientific definition.

So I guess our judge will have to make her learned judgement on this one.

I'm going to list what I consider vegetables or eat as a vegetable, including tomatoes. My veggies were in soup & with venison & hummus for BF.
Yesterday I had-
chick peas
tomato
celery
onions
carrot(twice)
swede
parsnips
garlic
potato
brussel sprouts
pumpkin
zucchini

My list of veggies for the day includes:

Swiss chard
kale
spinach
mushrooms
onions
asparagus
beets
broccoli

Last edited:
DAY TWO Total Vegetable Count:
  1. Arugula
  2. Asparagus
  3. Basil
  4. Beets
  5. Bok choy
  6. Broccoli
  7. Brussel sprouts
  8. Capers
  9. Capsicum/Pepper
  10. Carrots
  11. Cauliflower
  12. Celery
  13. Chard
  14. Chickpeas
  15. Chives
  16. Choko/Chayote
  17. Coriander
  18. Cucumbers
  19. Dandelion greens
  20. Dill
  21. Garlic
  22. Green beans
  23. Jalapeno peppers
  24. Jicama
  25. Kale
  26. Kholrabi
  27. Lettuce
  28. Mint
  29. Mushrooms
  30. Onion/red onion
  31. Parsnips
  32. Perilla
  33. Potato
  34. Pumpkin
  35. Purple & green cabbage
  36. Seaweed
  37. Shallots
  38. Spinach
  39. Spring onion
  40. Tomatoes
  41. Turnip
  42. Wattle gum
  43. Zucchini
Added 10 new vegetables. AWESOME!

Actually we added 11 vegetables since yesterday ... I missed the swede/rutabaga that Cate had listed. I'll include it in tomorrow's totals.

It seems our judge is not letting us count fruit or red beans -, seems like we are under an oppressive regime......

My only new ones today are asparagus and spinach (if the judge will let me count the spinach on pizza), and I know others have already counted those so only my count goes up.

Did I miss someone's red beans? Phaseolus vulgaris are included on the Wikipedia list; bananas are not. Please be kind ... the judge must draw the line somewhere.

Shrooms? Sure! Edamame? Enthusiastically! Having roots is fine, too, as long as you don't wander into grain and culinary fruit territory (both of which come from rooted vegetation). :)

Last edited:
To add to my others

Custard Apple
Fresh ginger
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh parsley
Leek
Sweet Potato - red
Celery
Lettuce - Iceburg
Beetroot
Water Chesnut (aquatic vegetable ) grown in old bath tub

Wed, 3rd July-
Broccoli
Cabbage, red & green
Chickpeas
Chilli
Garlic
Mushrooms
Onion
Potato
Pumpkin
Spinach
Tomato
Zucchini
Please be kind ... the judge must draw the line somewhere.
I have been kind & alphabetised mine & excluded any bananas & other fruit :D
I'll list mine the morning after I think as we are ahead in time & that's when I "do" the forum.

Don't think there's anything new today, and definitely less as I went out for dinner with my daughter and father:

Kale
Chard
Spinach
Bok choi
Asparagus
Green onions
Lettuce

Back