Weight-Loss Vegetable Challenge

Weight-Loss

auralee

As a collective how many different kinds of vegetables can we eat in a week? Who amongst us can eat the most variety for the ultimate prize: Bragging rights and happy gut flora?

According to Wikipedia's List of Vegetables, a list of plants that have a culinary role as vegetables, there are:
  • Leafy and salad vegetables - 75
  • Fruit vegetables - 21
  • Edible flowers - 9
  • Podded vegetables - 32
  • Bulb and stem vegetables - 25
  • Root and tuberous vegetables - 44
  • Sea vegetables - 14
Super charge your diet this week and join in! The challenge begins tonight at midnight CST.

Who's with me?

Reactions: PLB
I'll be in that. I love veggies!

Sure, I doubt I have much of a shot at winning something like this, but it will be interesting to keep track of my veggies for a week.

I went to your link and learned some things, first I had no idea there were so many different vegetables, most I have never eaten, a lot I have never heard of. I was surprised to see day lilies on the list, we have day lilies in our garden, they are getting close to blooming, when the do I will have to try a flower, I had no idea they were edible. Not likely I will be able to get any of the sea vegetables, I have never even seen them for sale. When I lived in Florida we had some kinds of seaweed you could eat, but I have no idea if those are included on the list.

Good idea!

Wonderful to have you, Rob! Of course the "real" objective to this challenge is to try new and varied vegetables ... but bragging rights are always fun ;).

You are absolutely right, the wikipedia list is long and has many, many names that I've never heard of let alone can find at my local grocery store.

As for edible flowers, did you know that you can eat nasturtium and violet flowers, too? Fun facts!

Shrooms? Sure! Edamame? Enthusiastically! Having roots is fine, too, as long as you don't wander into grain and culinary fruit territory (both of which come from rooted vegetation). :)

Are you joining us @overlandflyer?

I think this is meant to be fun, rather than a lesson in what is or isn't a vegetable. I'm going to post what I think are vegetables. I'll have trouble remembering every little veg I had the day before so I'll just kick start with my breakfast-
Chickpeas (hummus)
Tomato
Garlic

As a keto person I am far from being a vegetarian but so far today

Brocolli
Cauliflower
Onion
Celery
Choko
Turnip
Parsnip
Zucchini
Spring onion
Capsicum

Also had some wattle gum (not sure if Australian native foods count lol) makes a good snack

I'm in! I'll list tomorrow morning, though, so I can have a full 24 hours recorded. Are herbs (like coriander, for example) counted? I tend to eat them in industrial quantities!

You are absolutely right @cate, this is meant first and foremost to be fun. I hope, too, that it is a way to encourage trying something new and increasing variety. Most people rotate between 5-7 vegetables.

Sure @aiminglow industrial quantities of herbs count!

@Trusylver ... have never heard of wattle gum but if it's a plant, let's count it. :)

My veggies for the day: Spinach, chard, kale, arugula, dandelion greens, lettuce, beets, chives, bok choy, asparagus, green onion, shallots, and seaweed ... I went to the farmer's market this morning.

have never heard of wattle gum but if it's a plant

The gum (sap) comes from the Acacia mearnsii AKA the Black wattle and was a traditional food for the Ngunnawal people as well as the tribes in the area I grew up in, not many Australians eat much in the way of traditional Aboriginal foods. Acacia aneura is another source.

Last edited:
So, today I had-
Chickpeas
Garlic
Tomato
Purple cabbage
Green cabbage
Carrot
Red onion
Spinach
Dill
Capers
Celery
Cucumber
More tomato
I don't think we are counting fruit, but if we were....
Raspberries
Blackberries
Rhubarb
Prunes
Cheers :)

hokey smokes, Bullwinkle... i don't think i will be able to make it in this league... :)

yesterday... green beans, onions, jalapenos, pickles

how do you manage to keep so many different fresh vegetables on hand?

We just always do. That wasn't a big veggie day for us. We had lunch out & the only things that made my list was the dill & the capers. We eat most of our meals at home.

hokey smokes, Bullwinkle... i don't think i will be able to make it in this league... :)

yesterday... green beans, onions, jalapenos, pickles

how do you manage to keep so many different fresh vegetables on hand?

I don't keep heaps on hand as such, I live in the sub-tropics where a lot of stuff grows year round and can be purchased locally quite cheap every couple of days along with what I have growing. for example I had a custard apple this afternoon from a local roadside veg stand and tomorrow I will pick some lilly pilly berries to turn into jam (I have the trees growing as a screen from the neighbours macadamia plantation), however they don't count for this as they are a fruit. Most of what I have in my own garden is herbs etc. One of my tasks tomorrow is to get some seed raising mix for the wormwood seeds that just arrived in the mail.

that's basically my problem... i only schlep over to grocery shop about once a week. most of my core vegetables are ok for a week... mushrooms are the only thing i impulsively buy and have to sometimes scramble for a way to use them up quickly. i actually have some peppers growing again this year and ought to have plenty by the end of the month.

question for the judge(s)....
Jalapeno Pepper, Poblano Pepper, Serrano Pepper

one or three?

Back