🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Glad to hear it. Speedy healing.

my head is all over the place today. I don't need an official diagnosis, I know I am ADHD like the boys and little miss also has a provisional diagnosis of ADHD and ODD pending the final paperwork.

I doesn't help that my car is bogged on the driveway from the near constant rain.

D is allowed to drive again today so needed to do the morning school run when I couldn't he will also do the afternoon run as well as picking up my physiotherapy textbooks from the post depot.

Oh, Tru. You do have your hands full. You & D seem like such a great team & you are a lovely family.

Grr a card was not left in our mailbox to be able to pick up my books, they will have to wait until Monday.

Car is unbogged, we got a couple of hours of sun before it started to rain again, placed a couple of bathroom mats behind the front wheels for traction and managed to reverse out of the slippery divot the car was stuck in. Mats are in the wash to clean the mud off (they needed to be washed anyway)

Coaching at the woman's shed in the morning. The older ladies are enjoying building confidence in their ability exercise with good form and developing an understanding of what they can do to prevent some common injuries and work around others.

Last week one of the ladies was overjoyed that I was able to help her to do a squat variation without any pain or stress in her bad knee.

Tomorrow the focus is on core training.

I do the coaching at the shed as a volunteer, hopefully it will get my name out there a bit more.

Most of today was spent assembling models (Bretonnian archers) while watching the woman's test cricket Aus V SA

Coaching at the woman's shed in the morning. The older ladies are enjoying building confidence in their ability exercise with good form and developing an understanding of what they can do to prevent some common injuries and work around others.
What a wonderful gift to the community! Few things are more valuable as we age as the ability to train our bodies with confidence.

I would love to go to a women's shed & have you as our trainer, Tru. It sounds excellent. Any chance of you moving to Tassie?

I would love to go to a women's shed & have you as our trainer, Tru. It sounds excellent. Any chance of you moving to Tassie?
If we win lotto lol, D know that Tassie is the destination if we ever win. As an added bonus I would love to see some of the areas in my family heritage, not just the touristy stuff I have seen before.

Session went well, it is great to see ladies up to and including into their 80s taking control of what they can do physically in order to maintain health and mobility.

It has taken a bit of time to get the message out that this is not a traditional group exercise class but more educational in nature and working on areas to help maintain quality of life through strength and mobility working around problems many face as they age. Busting some fitness myths along the way.

It is amazing how many people have never been instructed on how to engage their core for exercise despite every personal trainer and fitness instructor yelling "engage your core" in almost every fitness class I have ever taken part in or seen online.

If we win lotto lol, D know that Tassie is the destination if we ever win. As an added bonus I would love to see some of the areas in my family heritage, not just the touristy stuff I have seen before.
I will hope you win lotto then! Especially if we have the same numbers 😊
It is amazing how many people have never been instructed on how to engage their core for exercise despite every personal trainer and fitness instructor yelling "engage your core" in almost every fitness class I have ever taken part in or seen online.
I’m 70, Tru & have never had a personal trainer or fitness instructor so it’s not so amazing to me. You need to win lotto & move to Tassie & teach me how to engage my core! 😊

Probably because yelling about it is much easier than actually getting people to understand. Sometimes it takes me an entire session to get a patient to start getting it and I don't think I'm that bad at explaining.

Probably because yelling about it is much easier than actually getting people to understand. Sometimes it takes me an entire session to get a patient to start getting it and I don't think I'm that bad at explaining.

It is satisfying when the ladies were able to get it and feel the engagement. I know it won't come in one or two sessions, retention of new skills is the challenge. it takes time but it is a start.

The age difference between this group and the usual athletes I am used to is interesting but I think it improves my skill as a coach.

Survived being back at uni today, it is going to be a tough but interesting semester.

In advanced exercise physiology we will be tackling some cutting edge experiments based on brand new research (professor submitted this study for publication today) demonstrating how metabolic flexibility can be used to detect problems before they develop into insulin resistance and diabetes. We will also be taking a deep dive into lactate and the brand new research in that area from top neurosurgeons and cardiologists in the US. including a link to Alzheimer.

I need to purchase a stethoscope and blood pressure cuff because it will be required to get good at taking measurements during exercise. Automated machines are not adequate for readings during exercise. Understanding specific blood pressure responses to differing exercise levels is one part of what we are learning but without good measurements it all falls in a heap. Being able to detect the likelihood of peripheral blockages and monitor for early signs of heart failure during exercise seems rather important to know even if my focus is high performance rather than clinical.

Basically we have been told that the field of exercise science is almost unrecognisable compared to exercise science 5 years ago.

It is the hormonal responses I have the most challenge wrapping my head around.

Basically we have been told that the field of exercise science is almost unrecognisable compared to exercise science 5 years ago.
I think that's often the case if you're looking at it from a research point of view. How much of that will be big enough to make a difference on the work floor is always another question but it's pretty exciting either way!

I think the metabolic flexibility will be important because it is often easier to prevent a problem than to fix it after it has all gone badly wrong, the number of people who are insulin resistant making it harder to loose weight is hug,e so even if only a small number could be helped before that point is reached it could still be a significant number. I will know more when I get further into the semester.

As for lactate just convincing people that lactate is not your enemy is a challenge lol

Like anything that is new in fitness, or even some older stuff, it is hard to overcome the terrible myths that are out there which are spread as "common knowledge".

Part of the job description for those with my degree is to help coaches bridge the knowledge gap between studies and practical application. A lot of coaches/personal trainers don't understand studies while pure research scientists can't coach. A sport and exercise scientist can be a coach or a researcher or bridge the gap between the two.

When I am coaching there is always a big emphasis on the "why" rather than the cheerleader style personal trainer, I am not bubbly and bouncy and I am not a drill sergeant style coach. I believe if you understand why I am including a specific exercise there will be marginally better compliance beyond the face to face training session.

Meaningful progress is not achieve in the coaching session unless you are wealthy and can afford a coach at every exercise session you do, progress comes from dedication to working towards your goals in your own independent training.

We had our new Starlink satellite dish installed today, it was an instant improvement, going from 600-800 ms latency to 27 ms

D is soooo happy he can now play his new game (Skull and Bones), the old satellite was ok for speed but the latency was a killer and he could not even log on.

I am no fan of Elon but this Starlink system shits all over the sky-muster satellite. hopefully it will also be more reliable

Yay for better connections!
Also:
I believe if you understand why I am including a specific exercise there will be marginally better compliance beyond the face to face training session.

Meaningful progress is not achieved in the coaching session unless you are wealthy and can afford a coach at every exercise session you do, progress comes from dedication to working towards your goals in your own independent training.
This a million times.

The new satellite system is still working great, no drop outs and remained fast with everybody in the house using a lot of bandwidth. Hubby and D playing online computer games, little miss watching a movie on Netflix and myself watching a uni video. It even worked through a storm. Probably helps that we had it installed on a tower on the roof which used to hold an analogue aerial.

I have a nasty bruise from last week, the girl I was partnered up with for strapping got an anchor too tight, It is good that I have a lot of experience strapping otherwise we would not have got through all of the content in the class. It did make it more challenging as she struggled to understand anything said in class, I sort of understand some language problem from international students but I was not expecting somebody from an English speaking country (USA) to struggle so much with language. not only word choices and pronunciation but the speed of speech was a big issue, apparently we all talk too quick.

One assessment quiz done today, struggling to concentrate on reading a scientific paper for another assessment later in the week.

Also needed to replace my massage table, mine was in storage but discovered water damage when it was pulled out of the shed, got a cheap second hand replacement which is not as wide but it was cheap and available and will do the job as a treatment table until I can afford to get another good table. Little miss likes it because it is purple lol not a boring brown one like my wrecked table.

Back