🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Sometimes progress is slow and we don't notice that progress, a bit like my knee, progress has been slow but when attempting something I could not do a few weeks ago you realise the progress has been there just too slow to be obvious.
I tell my patients it makes sense for them not to notice because in everyday life it's much more apparent big things they (still) can't do than the half-centimeter they improved since yesterday. Whereas I may not have seen them for two weeks so it's much more noticeable.

Painfree movement can help so much with recruitment and coordination and especially in the shoulder you have to have those in order to progress.

I am trying to convince D to let me teach him how to strap my shoulder as it gets so much worse as the day goes on. If I can achieve a pain free day that would be awesome, pain free days lead to more pain free days and actual healing rather than fighting the pain every day.
I hope you can talk him into it. Living with constant pain must be exhausting.

There is soooo much wrong in my shoulder it is difficult to achieve that pain free status. Just talked D through the basic AC strap which has helped as expected, not bothering with strapping for both anterior and posterior instability but I am not doing anything athletic, just hang out around the house this afternoon and possibly doing some painting.

Even with the strapping there is a never ending level of pain with no movement, If I had been able to get D to strap it this morning it would not be so bad now but everybody else in the house slept in today while I was out.

Without going into a lot of detail

AC joint Arthritis
Type II acromion
narrowing of the subacromial interval
calcification, subscapularis, supraspinatus
degenerative changes in the glenohumeral joint
Torn anterior supraspinatus
Subacromial bursitis
Subcoracoid impingement

Hubby is getting better at strapping the shoulder, but before the end of the day I had sweated the tape off to the point it is a soggy mass that just peels away not even leaving a sticky residue.

That sounds less than pleasant but having some support for part of the day is better than nothing, I suppose.

Sweating from exercise, rather than heat & humidity? Will D get better at strapping, do you think?

The humidity here is insane at the moment, we have had some partial sun the last couple of days but lots more rain predicted from tomorrow onwards to next week so only a short respite. No meaningful exercise so sweat is just from the climate.

D will get better at the strapping, he is enjoying learning a new skill, If I was attempting to train I would need to talk him through the next stage but the basic strap is adequate for general support during the day or for somebody playing sport who only needs the AC strap without the need for strapping other issues in the shoulder.

I am noticing the difference even with only having the additional support for part of the day, the pain is not reaching the same levels it would without the strapping. The more pressure I can take off the injuries the better chance it has of achieving some healing, with enough healing I can then work on some rehab exercises to begin the long road to recovery.

I am kicking myself for not teaching D to strap earlier.

For this years pushup challenge I am going to have to use a mix of modified pushups and alternate exercises, I have chosen headspace as the mental health charity I am supporting in this years challenge. still a few months to go before this years challenge starts.

That's great that D is enjoying learning. That's half the battle with almost anything. I hate humidity. It's so energy sapping!

Managed to spend some time on the rower with my arms locked in tight to avoid irritating my shoulder. Little miss used the treadmill and done some strength exercises (her heaviest weight is 5kg for goblet squats) which I have written on the wall as a mini program. Of course her fitness Barbie doll had to do the exercises as well lol. Also scrawled on the wall is a new program for son D but still need to write up a new program for Hubby D.

PS. one wall of the gym is painted with blackboard paint and is used for gym notes and interesting chalk drawing by little miss.

it was steaming hot and humid in the gym despite the ceiling fans and two air cannons.

Fitness Barbie was the one girlie doll I was ever glad to get. I love that she gets to work out with little Miss!

Steaming hot & humid sounds horrible. I'm sitting in front of our fire & it's 5oC out there. What a big country we live in!

Mid semester exam week done, not sure how well I did in the data analysis exam and I am hot and sweaty after ultimate frisbee, I still have shoulder tape to remove from the pre game taping we each had to apply.one team had to simulate a medical emergency mid 1st half, then the other team in second half. I simulated a funnel web spider bite.

Your course sounds very challenging but also fun. I hope you did as well as I think you probably did :)

I think the approach to teaching is completely different now compared to the past. When I studied electronic engineering straight after high school, the boooring lecture approach was terrible for an ADHD brain. I think teaching style has improved a lot since then.

Back then I was simply a weirdo, however now after having all of my kids being a mix of Autism and ADHD I am fully aware of how neurodiverse I am ( it is hereditary ) . My boys all recognise that I am just like them as does their paediatrician, but the cost and difficulty of accessing a psychologist for a formal diagnosis is just not feasible.

Would there be practical advantages to having a diagnosis?
I'm sure you did great on your exams. I do great with lecture type learning but even I think hands-on lessons are more fun.

I feel this way about getting a (different) diagnosis for myself. I have got to this age without a formal one (via a Psychiatrist) & feel I manage ok without it. It may not have been helpful for you, Tru back when you were school-age. So many things have improved thank goodness! It does help to look back & see why we were a certain way though.

You tend to be well-informed so if you're not aware of practical advantages to adult diagnosing there probably are none that are worth the trouble of getting one. I'm sure you've long figured out the appropriate strategies to deal with how your brain is wired anyway and a diagnosis wouldn't change those. Unless you think you'd do well with meds for the ADHD, of course.

By the way, since you live in an area that could sustain them and you know a lot about photography: have you ever seen rainbow eucalyptus in the flesh? Do you know if they're really this brightly colored?
IMG-20240420-WA0002.jpg

Back