Our non scale victories

Petal001

Rob suggested I start a thread that reflects on changes that have come about from losing weight . The most obvious is a drop on the scales but there are many others . I have lots but for today as I mentioned in Robs diary I used to hobble out of bed in the morning . Every step hurt . My ankles were swollen and painful. I thought tbh it was arthitis but it turned out it was the load I carried about . This morning I got out of bed , briskly went down let the dog out , did a few chores and flew back up to get ready for the day and I never even thought about ankle pain .
So if you are struggling with weight loss just don’t think about the scales , think about other little non scale benefits .

Bodyweight exercise is so much more fun now!

I fit into restaurant booths now. I used to fear going out to eat to a place that had booths, it was embarrassing to have to wedge myself in, I no longer have to worry about that. I avoided places where I wasn't sure I could get a table with chairs, and I often tried to be the first in so I could ask to be seated at a table, not a booth. This is new enough for me that I still think about it when someone suggests we go out, then I can pleasantly remind myself it is no longer a problem!

Thanks for doing this Petal, I could probably generate a long list, but maybe better one at a time. I do believe these non scale benefits as you call them are more important than the scales, but are all too often overlooked or not sufficiently emphasized.

Yeah I could do a list too Rob but one at a time is good . That’s a great one fitting in a booth at a restaurant.

My boots fit! When I was contemplating walking this morning I saw an old pair of boots that I have not worn in years, they were too tight. Tried them on and even with my heavy wool socks they fit just fine. My feet are getting skinnier. It made my walk in the snow a lot more doable.

That’s a great achievement Rob . I realised my shoes got too big for me too which i didn’t anticipate .
One of my major NSV is not having to take antacid meds before bed or during the night .

Getting up in the morning is easier. And I feel better when I do. I think Petal has mentioned this one before.

Amy, I agree on the airplane tables, it feels good to be able to use one. Petal, I can't say my digestion is improved, but I am happy yours is.

I don't snore. Or so my wife tells me, never thought I did, but she no longer wakes me in the night asking me to roll over or something to stop the snoring. I think I sleep more soundly as well, maybe related.

I like that my bras fit me really well with nothing poking out lol ! I was thinking that the other day Amy.
I concur with sleeping better too Rob .

My feet do not hurt now, back also feels much better. Getting rid of the pain is a great motivation for me. My Blood pressure is also much lower, plus I don't get dizzy when I stand up now.

I bought 2 new sweaters yesterday . Just by looking at the large and the xl I knew they would not fit me as they would be too big . Felt really good to be in a medium

Absolutely brilliant to be medium, Petal! :hurray:

And wonderful about not being dizzy when you stand, BFlat. I think when weight creeps on gradually, people don't realise how much easier and lighter-going life could be.

Picking things up off the floor is sure getting easier, I can even easily touch my toes now! No need to hold my breath when trying to reach my feet. Not something I will take for granted again.

Hey Bflat, I can related to the no foot pain thing, it kind of crept up on me until I started thinking about it a few days ago, my feet used to hurt a lot, but not much now. Petal, congrats on fitting into an M! Bet it looks good on you. I am still a ways from fitting into a men's M, not sure I will ever get there, we'll see. Amy, you are right, at least with respect to me as I gained weight I didn't notice a lot of the accommodations I was making for it, now as its coming off I can see them.

My floors are getting cleaner, this is related to my last one. A habit of mine has always been to bend over and pickup bits of trash from the floor, no matter the origin. However for the past few years I was too fat to do it comfortably, so I often didn't. Now I am back to picking things up, when I do I have a little smile over it. Same thing in the yard with weeds, but I will have to wait for spring to do that.

That's a good one Rob . And bet the wife likes cleaner floors .
Amy I always look like I'm in pain in pictures and I think that's why I am trying to shrink myself and suck in . Oh dear .

My NSV really right now is shopping . Starting to enjoy again. Just need more cash ! Oh well

Ah-ha! Here's another one from me:
I used to be scared to get on the back of motorbikes, in case my weight broke them (this wasn't really rational - I know great tall beefy people, weighing more than I did, even at my heaviest, go on motor-bikes). I had a mental picture of the bike groaning and spluttering and then the humiliation of the driver saying "Look, I'm sorry, but you'll have to get off".
But now - ha! I know jolly well (though I'm still overweight, but not obese any more) that I won't break the motorbike, and I hope on with alacrity! And zoooom! away we go! :)

Back