Motivational sayings and/or affirmations.

1680679200689.png

~I shared this 10 years ago, & think it's worth sharing again~
Learning to Love Yourself

It helps to realize that you are as important as anyone else, and what you think and feel is valid. For many, this is the most difficult part. Maybe you’ve grown up thinking that others are always better than you, that you don’t matter, and people aren’t interested in you unless you please them. But that thinking will only lead you to conclude that others’ happiness is more important than yours, and it isn’t.

Self-love involves the following:
Self-care.
Self-care means you treat yourself just as kindly and thoughtfully as you would anyone else. If you are uncomfortable doing something, then you don’t do it and that’s OK. Just because somebody might be disappointed that you didn’t help him or her, that’s his or her choice to feel that way.

Considering your needs.
If that means others don’t get all of you, all the time, then that’s also OK. People can learn to adjust and be responsible for themselves.

Caring for yourself with the same level of effort that you do for others.
That might mean you don’t always fulfill your goal of helping others because you’d prefer to spend time doing something for yourself. That’s not selfish.

Accepting yourself for all that you are — both your positive aspects and your human fallibility.
You cannot be all good all the time. That’s OK. You can work on self-improvement, but that doesn’t mean you discount the parts of yourself you don’t like as much. Those aspects are still part of your whole.

Saying no to others’ requests.
That’s OK. You are not totally responsible for everybody else’s needs.

Working toward self-love and acceptance can take time. If you are somebody who has little regard for yourself, then you might want to start with self-like-a-little, working up to self-like. In time, you’ll learn to self-love and accept yourself for all that you are.
Loving yourself is not being selfish.

344864966_954814958872073_5713849546211747803_n.jpg

I like most of your posts here but this one I just copied so I can make a poster of it, possibly with some personal additions.

Often looking for a suitable quote, either for myself or someone else in the forum I find it helps me put things in perspective. This was one of those times. I especially love the 3rd one!
"Life is rough. If it were smooth, we'd slide right through it without noticing. A bumpy ride teaches us gratitude and perspective."
~Terri Guillemets
"It just wouldn't be a picnic without the ants."~Author unknown
"I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders." ~Jewish proverb.

1698273885443.png

Back