Marsia's Diary

Yes, in less than a week. They are coming across the country with J's brothers with the moving van and the rv, so they can camp out in the rv along the way. Not sure how long they'll take to get across.

I didn't realize it would be so soon! Safe trip to all of them.

It's great to hear all the progress you are making. The floors and tiles sound beautiful. Hope the final week goes great for you.

Thanks guys! I had an epic cleaning day and am sitting in my very own living room on my couch feeling very clean and exhausted. I scrubbed the kitchen counters this morning and got up all the grout and grime from the remodel; did lots of laundry now that the washer/dryer are hooked up again; got Lumi's litter box cleaned and all her stuff back in the laundry room; got the porch nearly clean of sawdust and grout and such; mopped the living room floor and vacuumed off the rug and sectional sofa and got them set up; hosed down all the screens in the house and cleaned their windowsills before putting them back; brought a bunch of stuff up from the basement room I'd been staying in; took a nice shower; and I unpacked my replacement tea plants and watered them. So happy they came, and they are all healthy and lovely! Time for some tea and a relaxing evening!

Thanks LaMa and Cate! I had a way less productive day today, but still good. Lumi decided to howl most of the night, and I realize now that I am not sleep deprived that I should put her in a room by herself when she does that. I think she sleeps all day because she thinks there are still workmen in the house, then at night she is bored and lonely. So I got a late start trying to catch up on sleep. Then I cleaned and brought the bronze deer head to the hardware store and got the right screws to mount it to the wall. I brought it home and polished it and put it up and it looks right at home. Got a bunch of other stuff I need like floor polish for the new tiled floors. The people at the hardware store are really nice and I told them about the antique store where I got the deer head and about the Caw Caw Interpretive Center near it. The cashier knew it was a British red tail deer, not a white tail deer like we have here. He had fun telling me about alligators and snakes in the swamps.

I was feeling lonesome, so listened to a bunch of music we recorded of K singing and playing guitar, and feel happy again. They are on the road and everything fit in the moving van, so phew! I want to get the kitchen clean tonight and wake up early and finish painting the laundry room. My peanuts, winter squash, and string beans are up so high in their seed trays. I need to hurry and make their beds up!

I'm having a good day so far. Last night I couldn't find Lumi, and looked in a bathroom with a bunch of boxes stored in it temporarily. I heard little mews, so moved the boxes in case she was in back of them and having trouble coming out. Still no cat, so I went back and discovered the mews coming from somewhere by the vanity cabinets. Not in them though. Then it dawned on me that 2 of the floor vent covers broke so were not put back in the next room, and I had just seen all sorts of sawdust by one, which made me wonder. She had crawled in the floor vent, and thank goodness it only went to the bathroom next door. I lifted off the vent cover, and my cat came out of the hole and got a sponge bath immediately. She's been monumentally bored, so this is what she did to alleviate the boredom. The vents now are covered!

Today I decided to go fill up the garden beds slowly every morning, so took the huge cart and filled it up twice and got it in a new bed. I'll keep doing that every morning and not wear myself out, and soon all my new sprouts will have a home. I've been cleaning the kitchen cabinets which are dusty and had a ton of saw dust stuck to sticky old cooking oil layer on top of the cabinets. That took a long time, but you can see the top of the cabinets from the balcony upstairs, so now it looks lovely and clean in the kitchen instead of beautiful except for the sticky sawdust mess. I hope I actually get this done tonight and can start cutting out shelf liners. Did a bunch of cleaning out air vents and changing the filters in them and misc. stuff like cleaning the doors and trim in each room. It's coming together pretty fast, and I should have time to grocery shop before they come. Tomorrow I want to mop in the bedrooms and put the beds back together and get the new bed-in-a-box mattresses on the beds. Hopefully I can find the lightweight blankets for everyone.

I watered a frog by mistake in the garden today, and he stood still at first and then hopped away. I am really loving the house now!!

That is very sweet that listening to the recording of your daughter cheered you up. They will be with you very soon!
Thanks Em! She's becoming such a cool, unique person. I love hearing her performances and watching her change so much and get so good at music. We posted at nearly the same time, I just saw this. Hope your vacation is going great!!

Lumi saw a cave and went for an explore: can't blame her :D Glad to hear you're being sensible about dividing up the garden work so you don't overdo it in the heat. J and K are going to be so happy with all you've done!

Thanks LaMa! I hope they are happy with the place. I think they will be- I send them frequent updates and ask for their input on things, so I think we'll be really happy with the remodel. They are in Nebraska now, and having a good trip. I got enough done to go grocery shopping tomorrow. It's nearly midnight, and I worked steadily throughout the day and took lots of breaks. I put Lumi in her room last night because she yowled so much and I was so sleep deprived. It really helps getting a full night's sleep. She's asking me right now to go sleep in one of the beds I put together upstairs. She'll be much happier with the house unpacked and nice places to sleep and to crawl under that don't involve me having to rescue her from the air ducts! (Yes, LaMa, she very much loves caves!).

Anyway, I feel very good about how much I've accomplished and am ready to turn in and get up bright and early!

Thanks everyone! I'm actually on schedule. Can't believe it! I went to 3 stores and got nice bedding for the 2 little guest beds, got something I've always wanted - big pillows so when you sit up in bed your whole back has something soft behind it. Got them so that the metal bed frames we purchased (from the last owners of the house) don't dig into your back, so they are actually practical. Also found 4 nice pairs of pants at the big box grocery store. Very happy that I'll have enough summer pants now! I just got easy foods to prepare quickly so we can all enjoy the visit and spend maximum time exploring the area together.

I just prepped a bag of onions that I cartelized for butternut squash soup and to add for flavor into a chicken dish I'll make before they get here. Also made me some cooked carrots in butter with spices because I'm the only one who likes cooked carrots, and I got baby raw carrots in bulk and there are too many to eat raw. Had some for my dinner because I wasn't that hungry and it's getting late. Next I'll steam the portabella mushrooms I got for a Keto burger where you use those as the bun. They are so good like that. I'll probably make up some quinoa and some brown rice and call it good enough. So wow, the house is really nice, the kitchen is nearly ready for the flooring guys to come finish baseboard tomorrow, I am almost done with the rooms everyone will stay in, and I may even have time to either garden or finish painting the laundry room tomorrow before they get here.

I do feel really good!

Thanks everyone! They are here now, and we moved everything into the house and went out for dinner. They got here very late last night and I had a nice chicken dish with ginger and bok choy and things in it so they keep their immunity up. Everyone liked it a lot and talked until I made them sleep at about 2:30 in the morning. I would like to be able to take them places in the mornings when it's cool, so want them to get on east coast time. We just got back from dinner and shopping for summer clothes, and everyone is napping. It was very hot - near 100F and very humid today, and I am surprised that I was not as affected as everyone else. So I am acclimatizing! We're watching movies at home tonight and planning for the week with J's brothers here. It's so funny having all our stuff here after having been separated from it for so long! Also the dinner was so yummy. I couldn't eat Southern food very often because it's just too rich, but it was a fun dinner. We ordered 5 dishes and shared. Everyone really liked it, but then Filipino food is very rich and fatty, too, so it makes sense they really got into it. Sorry so scattered in my writing. I only have a minute to write!

Great to hear everyone arrived safely and you got a bit of proof you're starting to adapt to the local climate!

Back