Marsia's Diary

Marsia

I had a kid almost 12 years ago, and never lost the pregnancy weight, plus my weight sneaks up a pound or 2 each year. I need to lose 50 lbs. or so. I don't like counting calories and am not great at being disciplined, so I am going to try cutting sugar and caffeine out of my diet and beginning walks and yoga for now, and work my way up to jogging and weights. I do a lot of physical exercise on our rural property, so may swap that for the walks and yoga some days. For instance, today I get up on the garage roof and scrape off all the moss for our insurance company, and while I am at it, will probably leaf blow the roofs and gutters and driveways.

My biggest problems are wanting honey in my tea and emotional eating when I get nervous. My mom lives in a separate house on the property, and she is pretty controlling, which triggers anxiety and I eat half a bag of Doritos or other fatty or bready thing. I need to have more prepared veggies on hand and to maybe try filling up on water instead of crap. Feeling full is comforting, so maybe if I have tea with no honey or water, that could work. Am going to try that. Maybe meditation would work instead so I relax instead of stress eating. I will try that, too.

So I just joined this forum today because I want to keep a diary and make goals for myself.

So first goal - no sugar and caffeine this week.
Second goal - if I don't do yard work, I want to do yoga or walks for the 5 weekdays.
Third goal - get the corrosion off the scale battery area so the scale works again.

Cate

Support crew
Hi Marsia, & welcome to the forum. No-one likes counting calories, including me, but sometimes you need to so that you can stop eating so much. It can be confronting but I think most of us eat more than we think. When I'm counting calories it makes me re-think everything I put in my mouth. I drink my coffee black & without sugar & have a couple every morning, but none after midday.
Meditation, yoga & walking are all good to help you relax. Getting outside is good for you. It's my favourite therapy.

Marsia

Hi Marsia, & welcome to the forum. No-one likes counting calories, including me, but sometimes you need to so that you can stop eating so much. It can be confronting but I think most of us eat more than we think. When I'm counting calories it makes me re-think everything I put in my mouth. I drink my coffee black & without sugar & have a couple every morning, but none after midday.
Meditation, yoga & walking are all good to help you relax. Getting outside is good for you. It's my favourite therapy.
Wow, thanks for the reply!

Do you plan out your meals for the day or wing it and just stop when you have reached a certain number of calories? I eat weird stuff like a small cup of sesame seeds for fiber, and I've been experimenting with grains like quinoa, so I need to find a good website that has all different types of food's calories. Do you have a favorite? I do think you are right, that I just plain eat too much, not just when upset, so I probably should at least loosely count calories.

I can't do caffeine anymore, though I love it. It makes me have a sore throat for some weird reason. If I ignore that and drink more caffeine, I get run down. I love black tea, so this makes me very sad.

How have you done on your weight loss so far? Do you have long term strategies for keeping the weight off?

Thanks!

Marsia

Petal001

Hi Marisa I am pretty new to the forums too and finding them a great help.
I have been losing and putting on weight now for 30 years .
I too hate counting calories but I loosely following a slimming programme what I used to follow . I eat carbs but try to limit to 100g or less a day . I try not to eat stuff like Dorito or sweets and cakes .
I keep lots of fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt at home and some low calorie treats occasionally.
I walk a lot and my plan at the moment is too

Eat less rubbish food and prepare healthy unprocessed food, do min 10k steps per day , achieve 30 mins cardio exercise 5 days per week.
Good luck with all

LaMaria

Hi Marsia and welcome to the forum! Since most food-related apps&websites make their traffic with people who care about their health things like sesame and quinoa shouldn´t be a problem. The site I use is in German though, so it won´t be of any use to you.
In case you sometimes need to let off steam about your relationship with your mom you are of course free to do so here but if you need advice about dealing with controlling people I suggest you look at captainawkward.com (advice blog with a great community attached to it).

Cate

Support crew
I use My Fitness Pal as I am used to it & have saved recipes, meals etc, but Chromometer is also very good & has a great breakdown of macros. My story is LONG, but I have battled with my weight for most of my adult life. I lost 36 kg back in 2007, but have regained too much & am currently 10 kg more than I want to be. It will always be a battle.
Try drinking herbal tea. I love peppermint, spearmint, green tea with lemon myrtle & lemon & ginger.

Trusylver

Powerlifting Coach
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, many of the members here have been where you are now, there is a lot of great advice to be found here, I would also suggest reading the sticky posts scattered around the forum :)

Marsia

I too hate counting calories but I loosely following a slimming programme what I used to follow . I eat carbs but try to limit to 100g or less a day . I try not to eat stuff like Dorito or sweets and cakes .
I keep lots of fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt at home and some low calorie treats occasionally.

Eat less rubbish food and prepare healthy unprocessed food, do min 10k steps per day , achieve 30 mins cardio exercise 5 days per week.
Good luck with all
Wow, you walk a lot each day. That's really inspiring! I find I have to eat a little carbs each day or the hunger is too much - it's usually a complex carb, but seeing how little you eat, maybe I should measure mine! Thanks for the advice and encouragement!!

Marsia

Hi Marsia and welcome to the forum! Since most food-related apps&websites make their traffic with people who care about their health things like sesame and quinoa shouldn´t be a problem. The site I use is in German though, so it won´t be of any use to you.
In case you sometimes need to let off steam about your relationship with your mom you are of course free to do so here but if you need advice about dealing with controlling people I suggest you look at captainawkward.com (advice blog with a great community attached to it).
I looked up captainawkard - it's really good! I guess calorie counting apps have gotten a lot more sophisticated since I last looked. That's really good to know. Thanks so much!

Marsia

I use My Fitness Pal as I am used to it & have saved recipes, meals etc, but Chromometer is also very good & has a great breakdown of macros. My story is LONG, but I have battled with my weight for most of my adult life. I lost 36 kg back in 2007, but have regained too much & am currently 10 kg more than I want to be. It will always be a battle.
Try drinking herbal tea. I love peppermint, spearmint, green tea with lemon myrtle & lemon & ginger.
Thanks so much!! I signed up for my fitness pal, which is much nicer than what I do (print out a calendar and enter my exercise manually.) That is amazing how much weight you lost. I have lost 50 lbs. in grad school, but gained it all back now that my metabolism has slowed down drastically. So have to find a way where eating less feels ok and not like starving myself! Good luck with your goals, and thanks a bunch!

Cate

Support crew
The more you use MFP the easier it will be. The ads are very annoying on your phone, but it's good on your PC. I'm CateAussie if you want to add me.

Marsia

CateAussie
Hi Cate, I couldn't see how to add you, so tried sending you a message. It is greyed out, maybe because it's my first day there. I'm Marsia2 there. I'll try again in a day or so.

You are right, counting calories really helps, and the yoga felt really wonderful to do. I really need the feeling of accountability to actually do good stuff for myself, so this helps a lot! Thanks for recommending this app!

LaMaria

Glad to hear you enjoyed the yoga. Counting calories is extremely helpful at first, simply because most of us have very little instinctual knowledge about how much food we really need. I´m still hoping mindful eating will get me there in the end though :)

Petal001

Glad to hear you enjoyed the yoga. Counting calories is extremely helpful at first, simply because most of us have very little instinctual knowledge about how much food we really need. I´m still hoping mindful eating will get me there in the end though :)
I’m with you on the mindful eating .

Marsia

Good luck with all
I counted calories yesterday and that helped immensely! Also I tried yogurt with just fresh fruit, and I was so surprised I really liked it and how few calories that is to feel really satisfied!! Thanks so much for the great advice!!!

Marsia

I practice mindfulness because I have moderate social anxiety at times, and it helps so, so much. I didn't know about mindful eating, except how people in some Buddhist monasteries chew their food really well, which I tried and found really unpleasant. I looked up an article on it, and it seems really helpful. How do you deal with stress eating and catching yourself before you reach for food? What do you do instead of stress eat? I have been thinking of maybe breathing relaxation exercises instead. I noticed lately that I eat when I am bored, too. What trips you up most, and do you have strategies for those times?

LaMaria

I´ve been doing more breathing exercises again lately and I do feel it helps. Also keeping my hands busy, be it with crocheting or video games, exercising regularly and making sure I actually like the food I do eat. What trips me up most is fatigue. Well, that and my health conditions.

Marsia

I´ve been doing more breathing exercises again lately and I do feel it helps. Also keeping my hands busy, be it with crocheting or video games, exercising regularly and making sure I actually like the food I do eat. What trips me up most is fatigue. Well, that and my health conditions.
I know what you mean about fatigue. I went through a rough patch for the last few years and got so I could do less and less. Turned out it was diet and herbs really helped. But I tended to reach for the quick energy foods which didn't help at all! Sorry to hear you have health problems. Are you feeling ok?

I just started noticing that it's way easier not gobbling my favorite foods because I savor them, and have been making more effort to make things I especially want to eat. So weird I didn't notice this before. I just started doing this with other things, too, like doing the chores I like first and it motivates me so I don't mind the other ones as much.

I'll definitely look into mindful eating more. Thanks!!

Cate

Support crew
Mindful eating to me is not eating on the run & taking your time to enjoy each morsel. I like my food to look good & be nutritious. I couldn't eat a plate of food that didn't have lots of colour for example. Eating at the table, putting down your cutlery between most mouthfuls, chewing thoroughly & enjoying the flavours, enhances your eating experience. It also slows you down & you get filled up quicker. If you think of food as being your medicine & imagine the good it is doing you, it slowly changes your attitude to it.
I love greek yoghurt with fresh fruit, especially mangoes & strawberries. I used to think it was so sour, but have developed a taste for it. First thing in the morning with some almond meal added to it for protein is surprisingly filling.
I added you to MFP & I see that you are there now xoC

Marsia

Mindful eating to me is not eating on the run & taking your time to enjoy each morsel. I like my food to look good & be nutritious. I couldn't eat a plate of food that didn't have lots of colour for example. Eating at the table, putting down your cutlery between most mouthfuls, chewing thoroughly & enjoying the flavours, enhances your eating experience. It also slows you down & you get filled up quicker. If you think of food as being your medicine & imagine the good it is doing you, it slowly changes your attitude to it.
I love greek yoghurt with fresh fruit, especially mangoes & strawberries. I used to think it was so sour, but have developed a taste for it. First thing in the morning with some almond meal added to it for protein is surprisingly filling.
I added you to MFP & I see that you are there now xoC
I love the idea of seeing food as medicine. I just started experimenting with herbs, growing them and mostly having them in tea, and my health is so much better than it was before. I have so much more energy and I don't get sick as much. So it makes complete sense to also extend this to food. It's weird, I just finished 2 days of calorie counting, and was below the recommended total calories both days, but because I am eating better food consistently, I feel full and don't snack on crap. So this may not be as hard as I thought, though I am only past day 2. I did have massive chocolate cravings today, but I'm just waiting out the craving. It's interesting how eating beautiful veggies and fruits makes me happy so I don't care very much that I am not eating chocolate. This is very strange that I can be satisfied on very low cal food!

I'll try adding almond meal to the yogurt. Sounds like a nice combo, and I have a lot of mangoes ripening on the counter, so perfect!

Thanks for all the help :)

Hugs,

M