Marsia's Diary

Cate

Long-term member.
I love Serendipity as a name for your RV. It is one of my favourite words in the whole universe :beating:
I am going to really enjoy hearing about your adventures.
I keep forgetting to tell you we sold Betsy about 2 months after buying her. She was very impractical, uncomfortable, too small, difficult to drive......& just not for us.

Marsia

Thanks LaMa, Cate, and Vic! Yesterday was cut short because K really needed practice with her band, so we had to be back in the early evening. So we went to a lovely little botanical garden and to a spot where camping is nearly free by the beach to see if it was a potential for next trip. And then we visited J's old college town and had a nice drink at a cafe with a lovely enclosed courtyard full of flowering vines and sculptures like bronze metal vines growing amongst the trumpet flowers. The van really drives smoothly and nicely for such a big thing, but I am still so tired because I did most of the driving so J could navigate - I probably drove at least 5 hours a day. Plus driving a new huge vehicle in all new places was just tiring. I didn't sleep much the night we camped out because I was snoring, so J kept shaking me awake so he could sleep, so I kept being exhausted and snoring even more. We plan to switch things up so I don't sleep in the same bed as he does because he usually keeps me awake half the night, but this time I kept him awake, too! Oh, and we also saw J's friend from college who used to live in Hawaii and I met them while there. They are really happy and adventurous. He built his own racing sail boat from scratch and takes it out a lot on the open ocean.

So today I am brain dead, because I normally sleep very well, so when I don't, I get rather blue and out of sorts. So I am doing wash and making gravy with some chicken hearts and gizzards and I'll make barbecue ribs and yams tonight. I don't have low cal veggies in the house, so I'll go shopping for lots tomorrow. And thank goodness I am back down 3 pounds, so my weight gain was not as awful as I thought. I need to start doing walks - will start tomorrow. Maybe I should get a new wetsuit top and go swim every day. I love swimming in the ocean and haven't done that in ages. I think I could actually make that a habit. So tomorrow maybe I'll go see about wetsuit tops!

Marsia

I love Serendipity as a name for your RV. It is one of my favourite words in the whole universe :beating:
I am going to really enjoy hearing about your adventures.
I keep forgetting to tell you we sold Betsy about 2 months after buying her. She was very impractical, uncomfortable, too small, difficult to drive......& just not for us.
I looked up "serendipity" - coined by Horace Walpole (1717-92) in a letter to Horace Mann (dated Jan. 28); he said he formed it from the Persian fairy tale "The Three Princes of Serendip," whose heroes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of." The name is from Serendip, an old name for Ceylon (modern Sri Lanka), from Arabic Sarandib, from Sanskrit Simhaladvipa "Dwelling-Place-of-Lions Island."

Sorry Betsy didn't work out. We had similar issues - the small affordable vans were so tiny and hard to use, but the big ones were so expensive. We got a used one, but it still cost way more than we wanted to pay, but it's going to be a really wonderful splurge anyway!

I am really looking forward to hearing about my adventures, too! I am so ready to go explore new places!
Serendipity is a great name! Might the internet offer instruction videos for some of the stuff that's giving you trouble? Your trip sounds magical so far!
I looked and did find a bunch of helpful stuff. Phew! It was a really lovely short trip, and hopefully a harbinger of things to come!!

Cate

Long-term member.
Taking small trips until you are well used to your RV sounds like a good plan. Driving 5 hours a day sounds like way too long to me. You must be exhausted. I get very down if I am really tired & have to protect against it.
I love that you are really looking forward to your adventures xo