I have had a Gastric Balloon - looking for support

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mine done in prague - cost £1950 including all flights. They have been very good about responding to any queries or problems. My daughter had hers done at the same time but she has felt that she can still eat far too much. They have sent her some reductil as they are concerned that her stomach has stretched to accomodate the balloon. The hope is that the reductil will kill her appetite and allow her stomach to shrink back down. We shall see! I am continuing to lose weight - 20 lbs in six weeks.
Hi there Tina,
I'm thinking about going down the gastric ballon route in Prague. I've managed to put on nearly 4 stones over the past 3 years, though God knows how because my actual diet hasn't changed at all. Guess it must be menopause creeping up on me.

How do you rate the service you had? Was it easy to arrange and have you any idea whether you can take a partner with you?

service was good

We found it very easy to arrange using "prague beauty". They sorted out the flights for you, from the airport of your choice, had a very nice english speaking driver to pick you up and take you back and the staff all spoke very good english. The clinic was a small (eight bedded) unit, very clean and I guess quite basic. The area it was in was bland and resembled some of uk,s council estates. However we felt so vile the first day we didnt even venture out so it didnt affect us that much. The staff were very proffesional and did seem to know their jobs but were a little humourless. I dont think English humour always crosses the language barrier! You can take a partner for an additional £350 (includes both ways). I wouldnt have wanted to be there on my own and was very glad I had my daughter to share a sick bowl with.
We arrived on the tuesday at 1600hrs and had the balloon inserted by 1700hrs! Within 3 minutes of arriving we had an intravenous cannula attached, blood taken and put in a gown. No time for getting nerveous!! The procedure took around twenty minutes. We were given some IV valium which made us a bit whoozy but in no way did it make us not know what was going on. They insert a micoscope down your throat, check your stomach for ulcers and then push the balloon down. It is then inflated with a blue die and the microscope is then taken out. You feel everything and it is uncomfortable and makes you gag. We spent the next day attached to a drip with various different pain and anti sickness meds going through and gaily threw up for most of the day. We did manage soups, some biscuits and a very pleasant pudding. We flew home on the Thursday and did actually start to feel better by then.
We are three months into the balloon now - I have lost 2 stone 2lb and my daughter has lost 1 stone 12lb. Life does feel normal now but we eat far less and if we do eat anything with a high fat content or very spicy we suffer for it the next day ( guts ache and indigestion).
The clinic have been very good about keeping in touch and all e-mails are answered within a day.
I hope this helps with your decision.
xxx Tina

Hi there Tina,
I'm thinking about going down the gastric ballon route in Prague. I've managed to put on nearly 4 stones over the past 3 years, though God knows how because my actual diet hasn't changed at all. Guess it must be menopause creeping up on me.

How do you rate the service you had? Was it easy to arrange and have you any idea whether you can take a partner with you?

Have you had your hormones/thyroid checked? I would look into the reason for the unexplained weight gain before I would even consider getting one of these things. How many calories are you eating per day and do you do any exercise? If a slow thyroid is causing your problems, or a lack of exercise, the balloon is not going to fix anything. Figure out whether you can lose weight on your own by counting calories and exercising. If you're appetite is too great, then maybe the device will help (I know nothing about the device whatsoever), but if its related to other issues, then it doesn't sound like the device will help at all.

My cousin had the lap band done and has lost tons of weight, fo the first while she was in pain, 2 weeks later she could still only eat liquids, 2 months later they had to take her off solid food again because she had so many problems. Overall she has lost alot of weight but it has put her threw alot of pain

Hello, I've had the balloon in since Sept 26, 2008. Its only been a week and I have good days and bad days. Today's acid in my tummy in BAD, although my acid never refluxes out my mouth. But the pain in my stomach is still bad enough.

Anyway, I would like to ask any of the gastric balloon veterans out there: does the balloon put one at risk for ulcers or chronic gastritis down the road? Once I get it out, will my stomach be as good as before the balloon? Or are there long-term consequences to having a plastic ball disgest away in your stomach for a few months?

So far I've lost (i'm guessing...no scale) about 7 lbs and I'm glad I have it in, just need some information as i like to know all the facts. Thanks guys.

acid reflux

Hi
Had my balloon removed three weeks ago after having it in for seven months. Also suffered from terrible acid reflux and the balloon did stick to my stomach wall and ? started a small ulcer. It was however easily sorted with a shift of the balloon (physically shoving it!) and a short course of antibiotics. The acid reflux does settle down after about a month. When I first had the balloon out I had a terribly sore throat and the acid burn was there again for a few days - however everything is fine now and have been able to stop the antacids. Thought I would be starving but have found that I still cant stomach a large meal as I tend to lose interest half way through. Have actually lost another 3 pounds since removal - fab!

Tina

thanks

I have been trying to find out what happens after the balloon is removed. thanks for your post. i will have mine out next month and was really afraid my stomach was really stretched out and I would eat too much and regain the weight quickly.

:seeya:Hi everyone dont reall no how to post a new thread i having balloon fitted in the prague new you clinic on friday.........im really anxious, can people share there sucess stories pls xxx

Hi everyone

Just joined the forum. I had the gastric balloon fitted exactly one month ago. Have lost 10lbs.24lbs to go! Yes first few days were rough. Felt very tired and wanted to sleep all the time in the first 2-3 weeks. Energy levels back to normal now and have just started s gentle excercise program.

Heartburn is bad first thing in the morning but fine during the day.
I have a real problem... I constantly have huge amount of wind.. wanting out.. both ends!! and WORSE... its smelly... I feel like a freak!

Has anyone had this problem and if so, please let me know if anything can be done!!

So nice to be able to share.

Thank you all

Bonny

7 day balloon blog

Hello Everyone,

I will be blogging my balloon insertion and the effects, experiences, pros, cons, etc. for the next seven days. I see a few of you on this message board have a lot of unanswered questions about the procedure so here is my step-by-step experience. Hope this will help and answer some questions.

My journey to weight loss and being healthy..... Enjoy!

Day 1 DECEMBER 10, 2010 INSERTION OF BALLOON 87kg
This morning I took an Emend 80mg 3 hours prior to surgery, this is medication is to help stop vomiting. It is often given to cancer patients before their chemotherapy.

Felt a big odd when I woke up from the general anaesthesia, I immediately felt my body is talking to me... my stomach was contracting trying to expel the foreign object inside. Felt dizzy some nausea but not too bad.

I just arrived at home. Thus far no vomiting, I took a Gaviscon for the acid.

Tried to drink a cup of tea but could only manage three sips. Off to bed to rest.

I took one pain killer in the afternoon (suppository), and 3 ice cubes. (I froze some Vitamin Water before surgery today). It hydrates and provides vitamins, electrolytes to the body.

It’s time for a relaxing camomile and lavender bath to relax my body from all the shock today and to welcome the “balloon aka new tenant” for the next six months.

Off to bed
- Plastic bucket next to bed - check
- Telephone - check
- Medications - check
- Body pillow - check
- Water - check
- Entire season of Cougar Town on DVD :hurray:

CONCLUSION: not as bad as I thought it would be, did not vomit but had a few false alarms, I definitely feel the balloon inside me and biggest problem lots of acid reflux (burping). I rested in bed most of the day. Let’s see what the night will bring?

Until tomorrow...... :seeya:

Day 2 DECEMBER 11, 2010 ONE DAY AFTER INSERTION

The night was quite rough. I thought I would be one of the lucky ones and not get sick. WRONG !

Before falling asleep (on the left side only) I vomited about 5 times and had some bad cramps. (keep that bucket next to the bed it really helped not to have to run into the bathroom each time)

This morning I tried to drink an Actimel and take my meds but that is not staying down so well either. Luckily it is Saturday and I can just take it easy again today.

I asked myself today why did I do this insertion before Christmas? I guess the answers were very clear. I didn’t want to go up another size and have to buy bigger clothes and I could not stand to have my family saying to me “you have such as pretty face if only you lost a few kilos” or “what happened you were once thin?”

Side note: I went through a difficult divorce and comforted myself with food and gained about 20kg

In the early afternoon I decided to “test walk” my body. I took a slow walk to the pharmacy as there was no point in going to the grocery store. I came back home and felt fine.

I had 2 more Vitamin Water ice cubes and went to the gym. I swam in the pool very slowly for 30 minutes and sat in the steam room to hydrate.

And now I am going to attempt to have my gourmet dinner consisting of: Plain Yogurt

Good night my fellow ballooners and see you tomorrow!!

CONCLUSION:
if you really want to do the balloon there are two things that you must have otherwise it will not work: Patience and tolerance

11th day of my balloon and feeling good

I had decided that this was my chance to make a difference.

The small intervention to place the balloon was a breeze. The following two to three days were uncomfortable to say the least. Have spent the last 8 days basically on liquids despite most sites telling me that I could eat regular food. 11 days in I have lost 8 and bit Kg. 4 cmm off the waist and highly motivated. Feel good. I had my first meal at lunch with a lttle bit of chicken, 1 tablespoon of rice and tablespoon of beans. I did also have a 52kcal frozen lollipop. 3 hours later feeling good and not hungry. Anxiety to eat still plays a role but so far so good. The last 2 days no addtional weigth loss which my Dr says is part of the body reacting to extensive weight loss.

Now the nice thing about this method is people not only notice they actually start calling you skinny. Only last week people were telling me how much I had put weight on. My Doc and nutricionist have been in touch practically daily and have helped a lot.

SO FAR SO GOOD but I will call keep everbody posted. Overcoming the 2 or 3 day hurdle appears to be the greatest goal.

Good luck

Day 2 DECEMBER 11, 2010 ONE DAY AFTER INSERTION

The night was quite rough. I thought I would be one of the lucky ones and not get sick. WRONG !

Before falling asleep (on the left side only) I vomited about 5 times and had some bad cramps. (keep that bucket next to the bed it really helped not to have to run into the bathroom each time)

This morning I tried to drink an Actimel and take my meds but that is not staying down so well either. Luckily it is Saturday and I can just take it easy again today.

I asked myself today why did I do this insertion before Christmas? I guess the answers were very clear. I didn’t want to go up another size and have to buy bigger clothes and I could not stand to have my family saying to me “you have such as pretty face if only you lost a few kilos” or “what happened you were once thin?”

Side note: I went through a difficult divorce and comforted myself with food and gained about 20kg

In the early afternoon I decided to “test walk” my body. I took a slow walk to the pharmacy as there was no point in going to the grocery store. I came back home and felt fine.

I had 2 more Vitamin Water ice cubes and went to the gym. I swam in the pool very slowly for 30 minutes and sat in the steam room to hydrate.

And now I am going to attempt to have my gourmet dinner consisting of: Plain Yogurt

Good night my fellow ballooners and see you tomorrow!!

CONCLUSION:
if you really want to do the balloon there are two things that you must have otherwise it will not work: Patience and tolerance

Hi there

I have booked my operation for the 10th of May and these has really helped me. I have read up about the procedure but there nothing like real life experience. I have booked 2 days of work but it is looking like I may need to take some time off reading your notes. THis is a massive help and good luck with your journey x

Hi, I had a gastric balloon fitted 1/4/11. So I am now on day six. Felt pretty much fine after yesterday..I probably would have been able to return to work on Tuesday if needed. The first couple of days were awful, sickness, stomach pain, bloating and heart burn...now occasionally cramps, but nothing serious.
I had an awful experience in theatre...has anyone else had problems with the insertion of the balloon? So far I have lost 8lbs though!!

Hi!! I am having my gastric band fitted tomorrow (12 April 2011) @4.00pm, I am so nervous but excited!! I would love to exchange how you are feeling ect and pass any advice on x x

How are you all doing?

Good Morning! I just wanted to see how everyone is doing? I am getting ready to determine the date of my fitting and I've been reading these posts all night! Any words of wisdom? Of those of you currently in the process, how are you feeling? I've asked on another post but, is it worth it to do it? I am ready to do the exercise and diet, I just would really like a little bit of extra help.

Thank you for your info :)

M

If you are willing to diet and exercise, why do you need the balloon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back