Critique please

I was wondering if you guys could critique my routine. I have a busy schedule and make it to the gym three times a week (MWF). I focus on compund exercises. On Monday and Friday I try to get the upper body in and on Wednesdays I work on legs and abs. Also once a week usually Sunday I do an abs circuit at home.

Monday
Deadlift
DB benchpress
Dips
Shoulder Press
Rows

Wednesday
Squats
Lunges
Standing Calves Machine
and then focus on abs

Friday
More or less the same as Monday

Sunday
Abs at home

Feedback will be greatly appreciated. Am I missing something? Should I change something? Should I not do the same thing on Mondays and Fridays and if not how should I change it? Thanks in advance!

Sorry, just to add my goals are to increase muscle mass. I have actually been doing this workout more or less for about a year. I bulked up about 20lbs and recently I started cutting trying to get the abs to show for the summer. I'm really confused as to what to do now.....

I'd probably go for chin ups/pull ups rather than dips, to even out anterior/posterior shoulder work. What's got you confused?

I can do dips with ease so I hold dumbbells between my thighs. I would love to be able to do chinups/pull ups but it just doesn't happen for me. Should I start with the assisted pullups machine? Well I'm confused because now that I feel that I'm ready to cut should I stick with the same routine and just go with lower weights nd more reps?

I'd probably go for chin ups/pull ups rather than dips, to even out anterior/posterior shoulder work. What's got you confused?

I'd say he should do pull ups in addition to dips, not as a substitution. He really doesn't have a lot of anterior upper body going on (the dips look like his only real chest exercise).

I can do dips with ease so I hold dumbbells between my thighs. I would love to be able to do chinups/pull ups but it just doesn't happen for me. Should I start with the assisted pullups machine? Well I'm confused because now that I feel that I'm ready to cut should I stick with the same routine and just go with lower weights nd more reps?

Starting with the assisted pull-ups is a better alternative than not doing it all.

Last edited:
I would personally opt for negative chins until you can do them on your own. There is no advantage to the split you have doing the same upper body movements twice weekly and legs once. You will get better results by letting yourself recover fully before hitting the same body part again. Training more is not better; training better is better. Why not go chest and Tris/legs and shoulders/back and bis?

you really do need a vertical pull. Perhaps the lat machine suits you best if you cannot do pull ups.

Are you doing lunges with heavy weight at the same time as squats? You can combine them but I would only choose 1 for the big lift.

what row are you doing? Bent over? T bar? seated?

Are you eating properly to reveal your abs? Ab work in the gym will not take you to your goal.

What you're doing is not really a split nor is it a full body routine. Not saying theres anything wrong because you do have good foundational lifts. Just maybe tweak it a bit. Add that vertical pull and it will be a fairly balanced routine.

I have a question, besides chin ups/pull ups what else could you do as a vertical pull? Anything? Or are those excercises it? I workout at home and the one thing I dont have is a pull up bar

Well, I squat from 185-205, and perform lunges with about 25lb dumbbells which is the most I can do. I do mostly bent-over rows with dumbbells and sometimes switch it up with seated rows. I totally understand and am aware that abs are made in the kitchen (please don't think I'm the type of guy who just wants abs and nothing else.. lol). If I shouldn't perform the same exercises on Monday and Friday, how should I switch it up? Do you mean switch DB bench press with a bar, any other ideas? Thanks alot for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

Well, I squat from 185-205, and perform lunges with about 25lb dumbbells which is the most I can do. I do mostly bent-over rows with dumbbells and sometimes switch it up with seated rows. I totally understand and am aware that abs are made in the kitchen (please don't think I'm the type of guy who just wants abs and nothing else.. lol). If I shouldn't perform the same exercises on Monday and Friday, how should I switch it up? Do you mean switch DB bench press with a bar, any other ideas? Thanks alot for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!

No. Train completely different body parts, as I outlined. Training chest, for instance, twice a week, will not make it grow, it will prevent adequate recovery.

No. Train completely different body parts, as I outlined. Training chest, for instance, twice a week, will not make it grow, it will prevent adequate recovery.

I have to chime in my disagreement here. For all goals of muscular development, it's really almost a necessary minimum to stress each muscle group at least twice a week (three times a week would be even more ideal). Hitting each group only once a week allows for too much recovery time and the OP will be fighting the body's natural tendency to atrophy underworked muscles.

Adequate recovery (given that proper nutrition and sleep are attained) can typically occur within 2-3 days, depending on the level of exertion during training.

Total bro-science there. Why do you suppose both natural and juiced bodybuilders train on a four or five day split with one body part per week? Growth does not occur in the gym- it occurs outside of it through proper recovery. Show me something clinical backing your claim and I will certainly reconsider my stance, but for gaining real size (not simply maintaining or increasing strength ie, Westside routines) once per week is what I maintain until shown otherwise.

Amending previous post to not sound like a jerk (apologies if I did). While I agree that it only takes 24-48 hours for a muscle to recover and be ready for another bout, by "recovery" I mean total body. CNS fatigue is much more likely to occur training a body part at high intensity twice or thrice per week. So, while the muscle may be ready to go again, there is no reason to believe that the central nervous system is. Looking at the OP's plan from another POV, even if he did get away with doing his upper split twice weekly from a recovery standpoint, I would still argue it is a mistake, as he is only doing legs once per week. Unless he wants to look like a lightbulb, he needs to even that out.

Amending previous post to not sound like a jerk (apologies if I did). While I agree that it only takes 24-48 hours for a muscle to recover and be ready for another bout, by "recovery" I mean total body. CNS fatigue is much more likely to occur training a body part at high intensity twice or thrice per week. So, while the muscle may be ready to go again, there is no reason to believe that the central nervous system is. Looking at the OP's plan from another POV, even if he did get away with doing his upper split twice weekly from a recovery standpoint, I would still argue it is a mistake, as he is only doing legs once per week. Unless he wants to look like a lightbulb, he needs to even that out.

ACSM, NSCA, NASM, etc, guidelines all recommend at least two days of training per week, and that's based upon the independent research of each body coming to nearly the same conclusion. If I had access to my ex phys texts right now, I'd be able to cite more of the specific science behind it, so I'll try to get that up here later.

CNS fatigue is a natural response to physical exertion, and is really only a concern when the training volume is extremely high without legitimate recovery periods. Over-training and sustained CNS fatigue is uncommon, and typically associated with the training volumes of high level athletes (though the common exerciser can ail from over-training if the volume is high enough). However, periodization can provide enough rest recovery (active and passive) to allow high training volumes without over-training.

There isn't a whole lot of research into the specific ratios of training volume to recovery time that lead to sustained CNS fatigue and over-training. Most research has instead dealt with symptoms analysis and treatment as well as the physiological mechanisms. However, it looks like a strong symptom precursor to clinically significant CNS fatigue and over-training is the sustained feeling of fatigue, soreness, and depression (physically and psychologically), regardless of recovery period.

So, if an individual finds that resistance training 3 days per week is leaving them feeling fatigued all of the time, then 3 days per week would be too much for that person. It's important to note that muscle soreness and fatigue are two distinctly different things here, and sustained soreness isn't necessarily indicative of over-training. But there is a large portion of the exercising population (athletes especially) that can training for various goals of muscular and cardiovascular development at 3+ days per week and sustain such a volume without clinically significant CNS fatigue.

I do agree with you, however, that the OP should be hitting the upper body, back, core, and legs in equal proportion, for plenty of reasons (injury prevention being chief among them). I just don't believe that once a week per muscle group is enough training to maximize developmental response.

I'm not saying not to train three days per week, I'm saying there is no advantage to training chest or back it whatever larger muscle group two or three times per week. ACSM, etc. set up their guidelines for average people strength training- not bodybuilders or people wishing to train for substantial gains in mass.

Back