Cate's Diary

Wow, sorry about your car, that's so stressful. I'm so glad you got out of the house and away from the smoke though. I hope you can trade in a car for some of the cost of a newer one. I don't like driving my mom's car because it handles very badly in wet conditions, but I am going to put up with it because it's Japanese and lasts forever. I hope it all works out well. I wish you didn't have to worry financially! Hugs!!!

I'm taking the positives from that story and focusing on the kindness of strangers - i.e. the farmer. I hope you have forgiven G at this point. It is really annoying when you don't have loads of extra cash and a big bill like that comes in. I hope you can manage it.

That's worse than deer. I don't know why I have the urge to laugh. It's pretty terrible.
I'm sorry about what happened to both your car and the kangaroo.
It's done now. It is very hard to miss them. He was very upset over it.
Wow, sorry about your car, that's so stressful. I'm so glad you got out of the house and away from the smoke though. I hope you can trade in a car for some of the cost of a newer one. I don't like driving my mom's car because it handles very badly in wet conditions, but I am going to put up with it because it's Japanese and lasts forever. I hope it all works out well. I wish you didn't have to worry financially! Hugs!!!
We should be able to sell G's car easily as it's one that's popular & tough. If it was automatic we'd keep it. The big red thing (as I call it) would also sell OK but it makes more sense for G to keep that & for me to get a small car, so that's what we'll do, when we get this one fixed. I shouldn't worry so much about money. We live in a lovely house & don't have any debt.
I'm taking the positives from that story and focusing on the kindness of strangers - i.e. the farmer. I hope you have forgiven G at this point. It is really annoying when you don't have loads of extra cash and a big bill like that comes in. I hope you can manage it.
Perspective is a very good thing. You're right of course, Em. It was very kind of the farmer & I'll drop a card in his letterbox I think. If we moved from this neighbourhood I might lose that sense of community. I have forgiven G. It's not like he meant to run over a kangaroo and/or damage the car. He was quite upset about it. He's a softie.

I went over 1450 cals yesterday but had a deficit of 209 cals. Went for 2 walks, and did a little Tai Chi, but no gardening.

D and I drive quite different cars to each other, Mine is a manual diesel wagon so I can fit a lot of sport/fitness equipment in it and it is economical for highway driving for Uni. D drives the smaller Automatic hybrid which is more economical around town especially when he has to use it to get supplies for work. Both cars have had their share of run in with Roos but having a roo bar installed would hurt our fuel economy.

It is a Honda Insight 4 door hatch. It is part electric and part petrol. Energy from braking etc. is redirected to charge the battery (not the regular battery all cars have) then the battery assists the petrol motor when driving up hill so less fuel is used. The car also turns off the petrol motor when stopped at traffic lights which also conserves fuel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Insight it drives well but is not good if you need something with a lot of grunt.

Last edited:
I hope you figure out something good with the car situation...would be nice to have something you feel comfortable with.
Yes community is so important--neighbors helping neighbors...i have a lot of that where I live too as it's a smaller town...small places are generally really good for that sort of thing. Before I moved here I never experienced that sort of comradery and its really nice!
Really love that you are keeping up with the tai chi I really want to incorporate that in my days.

I hope you figure out something good with the car situation...would be nice to have something you feel comfortable with.
I just have to, Liza or I'll end up not driving at all & that would not be good.
Yes community is so important--neighbors helping neighbors...i have a lot of that where I live too as it's a smaller town...small places are generally really good for that sort of thing. Before I moved here I never experienced that sort of comradery and its really nice!
It is. I would have to start all over again if we moved.
Really love that you are keeping up with the tai chi I really want to incorporate that in my days.
It's a bit haphazard, but I have noticed my balance is getting a little better. I am going to do more tai chi walking after double checking my form. It's harder than you think.

I haven't time to check everyone's diaries as I'm heading for Hobart soon for a couple of nights.

Thanks, Liza & LaMa :grouphug:
I had a lovely weekend in Hobart, thank you. I got to spend some time on Sunday with R as well. He picked M & me up & took us to the farmers' market & then down to where G was playing golf afterwards. We got lucky with the weather as it was cold but sunny.
I have set myself a goal to lose 1 kg a month for the next 8 months so that on my next birthday in May 2023 (a significant one) I will be only a few kg away from my happy weight.

It's interesting: a kilo a month is really just about consistency and even that can feel tough! Still: it makes such a difference in the long run.

Thanks, Liza (& LaMa) I think a kilo a month is doable and it means logging everything but also weighing myself more often to keep tabs.
I had a good day yesterday. G was away for the whole day basically (golf & then 8-ball) & I did not raid the pantry. I had some cashews last night but nothing sweet. Tuesdays are my risky days.
I weighed myself yesterday & was up from the weekend away. The start of September can be my official start date.
BF this morning was 1 slice of multigrain toast with a boiled egg & 1/4 avocado, 2nd slice with marmalade. Black coffee.
Lunch I think will be seafood lasagne with a salad maybe.
Dinner will be braised lamb chops & veg.
A small fruit platter is in there somewhere.

Great job resisting temptation while you were alone. Food for today sounds delicious! For now I hate weighing myself regularly again but that's because I haven't stopped overeating yet. It's definitely the way to go though.

G was away for the whole day basically (golf & then 8-ball) & I did not raid the pantry
Nice job on resisting temptation!
BF this morning was 1 slice of multigrain toast with a boiled egg & 1/4 avocado, 2nd slice with marmalade. Black coffee.
Lunch I think will be seafood lasagne with a salad maybe.
Dinner will be braised lamb chops & veg.
A small fruit platter is in there somewhere.

Your food choices always sound so good!

Thanks, Liza :)
BF this morning was 1 multi-grain toast with homemade hommus & fresh tomato & another with 1/4 of an avocado, a little mayo & rhubarb chutney. Drinking straight black espresso coffee at the moment. We share a pot every morning & then I drink herbal tea, mostly peppermint, for the rest of the day.
Lunch will be take-away Chinese as we're taking lunch to G's sister's new place.
Dinner may be frittata.
I'll weigh myself tomorrow.
I'm going to pick up my glasses today. I used frames that I had & loved from a couple of years ago.
We talked some more last night about moving & we have both decided that we don't want to leave. It's such a lovely house & such a good neighbourhood. We couldn't possibly find a house we love as much. It's a relief to make the decision. I am going to stop looking. We'll keep decluttering & doing more work to maintain it nicely.
Edit: I'm going to try to up my protein.
Edit 2: We just saw our first Welcome Swallow! 🌻🐦(not a swallow!) Spring is just around the corner!

Last edited:
Back