Cate's Diary

I really liked the blue tail lizard article. Really good to know not to put out snail bait. Even though ours is organic, I won't chance it. We have skinks in our garden and little green anul lizards - lots of babies out now, so I'll be sure to use egg shells instead! Decluttering, including some fat, seems like an excellent idea! I hope your SIL gets that it stresses you out thinking of moving. I was even wondering if you could rent your fields out for a small profit in exchange for them being mowed each year. Maybe if you did things like that (like maybe even giving away downed trees to people who sell firewood) you could keep the property longer? Also I was wondering if someone could mow you a path in a relatively flat spot for taking a quick loop around your meadows for short home walks. You've probably thought of all this, but just in case...

I'd love to hear what you are planting from seed. My cabbages, chives, and Swiss chard are up now. Happy Spring!!

Thanks for sharing that article about the blue tongue lizards--I think I would be very tempted to grow them a bed of strawberries to share with them as they suggest! They sound like they could be partly beneficial to have around for eating things like slugs...I love when I find some friendly wildlife around like our garden snakes...makes me feel happy that I'm creating some safe/happy spaces for them.
I will appease my SIL a little by getting some things organised soon, like a new will, power of enduring attorney etc so I'm better prepared for the future & if she continues to nag me about moving I will ask her to ease off. It unsettles me.

Yes funny when people mean well and try to help but it just adds to our stress!

Thanks, Llama, Marsia & Liza :grouphug:
Blue-tongued lizards are very cute, whilst also looking quite prehistoric. Maybe it is worthwhile sacrificing a garden bed of strawberries for them. 🦎 🍓
@Marsia Our land is not hard to manage, as our sheep do a good job of keeping the grass down. We may turn them over this year as they are getting very old & we had to ask a young neighbour to euthanase one recently. It's good to think of ways to make life easier though.
I'll fish out my seed packets later & list them for you. Actually, I should have my order online somewhere......
French Sorrel Green de Belleville​
1​
$1.50​
Parsley Giant of Italy​
1​
$1.99​
Watercress​
1​
$1.99​
Basil Italian large leaf​
1​
$2.99​
Borage​
1​
$1.99​
Chervil​
1​
$2.75​
Dill Bouquet​
1​
$2.99​
Marjoram Sweet​
2​
$3.00​
Lovage​
1​
$2.99​
Corn Salad Large Dutch (Lambs Lettuce)​
1​
$2.99​
Chamomile Roman​
1​
$2.99​
Warrigal Greens - New Zealand Spinach​
1​
$3.30​
Spinach Perpetual​
1​
$3.30​
Spinach Oriental F1​
1​
$3.30​
As you can see I got mostly herbs. I'll buy some lettuce seedlings & some other veggies.
Yes funny when people mean well and try to help but it just adds to our stress!
I think it's good to remind ourselves that when people do try to help us that they are usually coming from a good place & do mean well. We most probably do the same to them because we care. I know my SIL really cares for me & it has been very traumatic for her.
I'm a bit cranky & unsettled this morning after another night where I just couldn't get to sleep. I'll attack a cupboard today I think & do some more decluttering.

I just booked tickets to an 8-hour live music event in February & a return trip on the Spirit of Tasmania in March. Eek. It really makes me nervous doing stuff like that, but also quite a bit excited. The music event will be huge. So many of our favourite singers! We can take our own canvas chairs but only sealed bottled water. No BYO food or soft drink. The trip to Victoria is for our next golf nationals & will also include a road trip to catch up with friends & family.

Wow, your herbs and greens look wonderful! Have you grown perpetual spinach before? I'm thinking of trying it. A strawberry bed for the lizards would be very generous. I just found a couple of borrowings in my strawberry bed. I wonder what the burrower was up to. I have trouble remembering not to try to help people unless asked directly. It gets me in trouble sometimes.

The music event sounds fantastic! The cruise ship sounds really fun, too. Have you done cruises before? The closest I have come to one is crossing the English Channel on a huge ferry in very stormy seas.

Hi, M. Perpetual spinach is wonderful. I’ll have to make sure that I keep it perpetual this time!
I don’t think I’ll have much choice with the strawberry plants, but I’ll try to keep the lizards out, but also leave some strawberries out for them 🤞
The ship is an overnight journey each way. I can’t imagine going on a cruise. They don’t appeal to us at all. It will be good to have our own car in Victoria though & we plan a road trip after the golf tournament.
I feel quite excited about the trip 😊

Your list of herbs and greens looks wonderful. My parents have perpetual spinach in the greenhouse and while it's a little bitter for me raw it's lovely cooked. The live music event is like a festival? It sounds like a lot of fun!

Your list of herbs and greens looks wonderful. My parents have perpetual spinach in the greenhouse and while it's a little bitter for me raw it's lovely cooked. The live music event is like a festival? It sounds like a lot of fun!
I don't find the perpetual spinach bitter & throw it in everything. The live music is just on one stage & goes from 1-9 pm. It will most probably be hot. The accommodation nearby is booked out & I'm not sure what we'll do with Arch or where we'll stay. I'll think more about that closer to the day. I could drink water all afternoon & could drive home afterwards or we could stay with one of G's family & maybe take Arch to the kennels. I'll think about it some more.

The trip sounds amazing and something I would love to do myself. Don't be nervous about it - it sounds absolutely brill!
I am looking forward to it, Em. I just get nervous about booking stuff these days.

Make September a month to remember!
I started a day early. I would like to kick start my plan with a 2 kg loss & then one a month after that. GO!

Definitely drink water all afternoon, even if you don't have to drive and can slip a couple of other drinks in there, too. I'm sure you'll figure out the details and have a lot of fun. Is it outside or do you trust the air quality?

It was a good start to my day when I hopped on the scales & was back down 1.5 kg.
I have now set a goal of 9.5 kg by my birthday in May 2023.
I took Arch for a 2.14 km walk this morning.
G & I have been house-cleaning for a couple of hours, including exposed beams & high lights.
I just got back from a smaller walk with Arch & am enjoying a pot of herbal tea.
@Llama -you just posted the above. I most probably will do that as it's outside & will be hot & is such a long afternoon. The last time we went we decided not to do it again, but we love all of the artists this time & really don't want to miss it. I'll take a large bag with lots of bottled water. Unfortunately, it has to be bottled, sealed water. Such a waste.

It does feel wasteful but I understand they don't want people cruising up with water bottles full of clear spirits.

Yay for weight being down and for starting September plans early! I hope you get to relax and kick back after the concert. Sounds like so much fun!

The early september plans are sounding so good on here! Always excellent when the scales are cooperating as well!
Good for you booking into that concert. Sounds like it should be a lot of fun!

Thanks, Marsia & Liza. We're going to Hobart again on Saturday to see one of our favourite shows- https://rockwizlive.com.au/
We don't know who the guest artists will be, but we have seen their other live shows & have watched each of their tv shows at least twice. We both just love it!
1st Sept & the 1st day of Spring. It's amazing, but birds have appeared everywhere. We have a wonderful chorus happening this morning 🐦 🎶

Hi, Llama & Bunny :)
I just realised that I haven't left our little area for 8 days. I have been out walking each day, but haven't driven into town once. I really must think (stop thinking- do) about buying myself a little car so I get out & about more. G is going away in 9 days for almost a week & I had better not stay at home all the time he's away.
Kept to within my 1450 cals yesterday (just).
BF this morning was avo & tuna on 1 toast, marmalade on the other.
Lunch will be venison pho.
Dinner will be a beef stir-fry, followed by fruit.

We will be meeting R's new GF tomorrow night at the show. I'm looking forward to that. Did I tell you that K9 is getting married. I hope that she will be really happy 💓

Wow, so happy you are getting out to see music and having a lovely spring full of birdsong! Could you trade the big car for the little car you gave R for now? I had a really good time going out on my own when I first got here. There's something so nice about taking one's time and exploring things only I like to go do. I hope you have a nice time with Archie going on little outings while G is away! It's kind of sad hearing that K9 will be marrying someone else (and wow, time really flies, it didn't seem like that long ago she and R were still together!). But I'm glad you are happy for her, and that R has a new girlfriend and won't feel weird about things. Is this the previous new girlfriend you'll be meeting?

Anyway, sounds like a good start to September plans going to plan!!

We think we’ll trade G’s old car for a small one for me, but we haven’t made our minds up totally.
I’ll make sure I get out & about when G is away.
R was with H, the jealous one for 6 months or so & has been with S for a few months now. K9 & R are really good friends & I think that friendship will endure. I’m happy that she’s happy 💕
I love September. It’s a stunning day today. The air is so still, it’s sunny but the air is crisp & cool. Love it!

Back