Anke's Diary

Ankebuzz

Hi everyone!

I was last active on this site in 2009!

I remember it helped me a lot, I stopped coming because I no longer needed so much support after all the hand-holding I had gotten here. I stayed fit and healthy for a long time. As life goes though, stressful times came around again, and old habits die hard. I periodically reverted back to old ways of secret binge-eating, edging my weight back up to an overweight BMI.

It happens so slowly, guess it's called denial :) I have given it a few half-hearted attempts to get back n track again, but so far it's going a bit rough. I think getting on here daily is going to help me, so here I am.

THE STATS:
Weight: 88.8kg (195.8lbs)
Height: 1.77cm (5'9")
BMI: 28.3
Waist: 92cm (measured at the belly button)
Body Fat %: 40%
Current Activity level: Less than 1 hour per week

GOAL:
Goal weight: 75kg (realistic time frame losing an average of 0.5kg per week: 17 December 2016)
Goal Height: I am happy if this stays the same, heehee
Goal Age: I hope to get my Xbox health age down from 37 to 21!! :)
Goal BMI: 23.9
Goal Waist: 87cm
Goal Body Fat %: 25%
Goal Activity Level: 5x per week for 30mins, moderate to high intensity​

THIS WEEK: 8th-14th July - HABITS AND ROUTINES TO REACH GOAL:
  • Walk my dog every second day or every day for 20mins in the evening
  • Eat breakfast with carbs, protein and healthy fat every day (oats/cornflakes/dates + nuts/avo + milk/yoghurt/eggs)
  • Pack work lunch every day or keep ingredients to make salads and sandwiches for lunches
  • Attend 1x dance class per week (Tuesdays)
  • Attend 1x yoga class per week (Sundays)
  • 1x home gym exercise session per week (Fridays)

Ok, I will check back in with day one tomorrow!

Hi Anke & welcome back to the forum. Your plan looks very sound & your aims look realistic & healthy. The forum is very active at the moment & is very supportive & friendly. Keeping my diary going has really helped me stay focussed on being as healthy as I can. Cheers, Cate.

Hi Anke and welcome back to the forum. That sounds weird, I wasn't here yet in 2009. Great work sticking with the healthy habits for so long though! I love your list of starting points and goals; it makes you look very in control and ready to rumble. Best of luck, LaMa.

Warning: Giant wall of text ahead! Proceed with caution (and a cup of coffee)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Ok, so here is today so far:

BREAKFAST
Oats, dates, touch of milk. 1 coffee + foamed milk with no sugar. (we have a really nice coffee machine at work)

SUGAR
I am trying to ease my way off sugar. Refined sugar that is. So I no longer want to add it to my oats or my coffee/ tea. Coffee and tea are not such a problem, if it is good and strong, I can drink it with just some milk. For my oats, this morning I tried adding about 6 dates into my oats, chopped finely - and it worked!! Yay! I will be using that method from now on. I will probably stick to oats for breakfast until about September when Spring/Summer kicks off here in South Africa.

EXERCISE
To be done this afternoon, no excuses. My plan is to take my doggie for a walk at the park, then come home and continue a 30 min body-weight routine that I will already be warmed up for. Then I will likely walk my cat in the garden to cool down (usually he runs free, but he had surgery on his hip recently, so is stuck indoors in our guest room :(

WEDDING!
So yes, getting married on the 8th of August - AND MY LILAC PURPLE DRESS IS READY, WOOHOO! And it's too big from the original measurements they did when I ordered it. AND I still have 22 days to go for the final fitting where they can still make it smaller. Although I am putting no pressure on myself, I will be whatever size I am on my wedding day - I just happen to be getting healthy right now which may come with some awesome side effects :)
Right now I am at work, procrastinating the real work and fantasising about my BACHELORETTE PARTY / KITCHEN TEA tomorrow!!! I am not supposed to know it's tomorrow, but my family/friends are really bad liars, haha.

WORK LIFE
I actually have a day job as Microsoft Dynamics CRM Consultant for an IT consulting company - though you won't find me talking about that too much. My side hustle seems to have taken over my life - my fiancée runs a computer repair business for himself - we started it together, I do all the logos/design/website/marketing/admin/tax (in my "free time" lol). My attest obsession is Google Adwords and SEO, I am training myself up slowly but surely to be a KICKASS internet marketer. Thing is, I don't want to go into that as a career, I just want to help G (fiancée) grow his company so I can come work from home with him. Then maybe I will do some web design for fun as well.

Ok, so that's where I am at right now.

Hey :) I love that we are starting at a similar height and weight I'm really excited to follow your diary!

Wedding in August :D That's so great I'm sure you will look amazing!

You're off to a flying start Anke. Congrats on getting married next month :beating: You will look sensational in your dress. Life sounds good for you xo

Thanks for all your support :)

So I managed to do a body weight exercise mini-session on Friday. I was actually stiff 2 days after, so that's good! IT felt good to exercise for the first time in a long time.

Tomorrow morning my mom is arriving from Germany and staying at my place for the night, then Thursday she and her mum will fly off to the beach for a few weeks catching up (my gran is 78 and my mom rarely sees her).

In the meantime, my injured kitty is still occupying the guest room, mom may have to sleep in the lounge!

Otherwise, my weight is staying exactly the same. like seriously - 88.8kg every morning for the last 4 days. And 8 is my favourite number -

I was born in 1988
I used to have a touch of OCD where I had to do everything on each side of my body in eights
My fiancée and I met in August (8th month)
On our 8 year anniversary he asked me to marry him.
We decided that the perfect date for our wedding day would be the 8th of the 8th,

Hence we are getting married on 08.08.16 - bonus is that 8+8=16. And it is known as the "infinity date", as an 8 on its side is the infinity symbol in maths - and in love!

I love eights and I love purple. Two very distinct character traits I have :/

Anyway, I really have been trying to learn a new skill at work and it is very challenging - I promise to catch up on YOUR diaries soon as I can. In the meantime, it's the best I can do to just keep posting for myself as daily as possible.

Keeping up with your own diary is the most important thing. I'm guessing the next couple of weeks are going to be pretty stressful anyway!

Thanks for popping in friends!

This one will be quick. I arranged to work half day today and tomorrow. I picked my mom up from the airport this morning, got her settled in (with the cat!) and now I am at work. Currently going through a STEEP learning curve in my job learning a marketing automation program called ClickDimensions with Microsoft Dynamics CRM. I love the challenge, but also a bit stressful. So the point is, I need to waste less time reading the interwebs, and spend more skilling myself up :)

So I'm off!

But first, my weigh-ins for the past week:

8 July: 88.8
9 July: 88.2
10 July: 88.5
11 July: 88.8
12 July: 88.2
13 July: 88.8

There' something about the 8s...

Also, there is no movement largely due to large amounts of Haagen-Dazs being consumed lately :) hmmm. Maintenance tastes good.

This morning I had sugary latte and a sweet muffin, I think that airports make me want to eat nice things... Also, I nearly cried each time a person came out of the arrivals gates and ran and hugged their families - I think I'm a little emotional this week. Oh yes, PMS time, I remember now.

Sorry it feels like I am all over the place, I write like I think!

Me too & that is OK. It is good for us to put our thoughts down, without fear of criticism. Have fun with your Mum xo

Hi!

So having my mom stay over by us for just one night has proved to be chaotic.

My clean-freak control-freak anti-social fiancée just isn't dealing so well. To be fair, my mom is on meds that make her a bit loopy. Well ok, less loopy than she is without them, but ye. She is not always fully aware of how her behaviour affects people. And it makes her reflexes slower. So when the injured cat tries to excape the room she is sleeping in with him - he inevitably escapes a few times. And we are trying so hard to protect the kitty from injury from jumping down from high. Really stressful :( Catching the cat every hour. I barely slept, paranoid she would let him out in the middle of the night on a toilet break! :(

Anyway, I am working half-day and leaving just now to go fetch her and take her and her mom (my gran) to the airport so they can go retreat for 2 weeks.

I really feel like I need to something soul-nourishing when I get home. I'll get home early, round 3pm, so I can take Lili (puppy) to the park for a nice walk. Then there is still daylight til 5:30pm at the moment, so maybe I can walk the injured cat (heehee, that's funny I have never walked a cat), and then water the garden before sundown. At sundown, I think I should have a bubble bath with all the yummy products my family and friends got me at my bachelorette party.

OH, MY BACHELORETTE PARTY!
It was awesome. What happens in Vegas... (ok, Johannesburg) I can say no more unfortunately - other than this:
View attachment 23846

View attachment 23847

View attachment 23848

ON ANOTHER NOTE - I need advice please!
On meal planning. Resources that worked for you. It needs to be flexible so I can substitute veg for veg, protein for protein etc based on the very limited options that my IBS man can stomach. My main issue is that veggies go off. What can I do with the big bag of spinach in my fridge, we can't possibly eat it all tonight! I know Google has answers, but I think this is one of those "learning process" things that I don't quite get yet. Some things take a while (like budgeting enough money for fuel and groceries during the last week of the month... I totally got that right for the first time this year! At the ripe old age of 28)

Ok, bye for now!

I think hen's parties(as we call them here) are similar the world over. You look like you had great fun.
Re: spinach. It keeps best if you take it out of the plastic bag & put it inside a tea towel or a small cloth bag. You can put the wrapped up spinach inside a plastic bag if you like, but so it can still breathe. I use spinach with everything really. You can just wilt it in the microwave if you like. We often cover the plate with raw spinach, add other cooked veg & heat them all in the micro, to accompany meat or casseroles. Snow peas are another really versatile veg. They can be eaten raw of course, but also added to the plate & zapped.

Also: once you heat your spinach it´ll be sooo much less, usually a big bag is only enough for two people anyway :) What I do when I realize I won´t be able to use up my veggies in time (single household here) is either make a quick pickle (if your guts can take it) or blanch or dry-fry them, then freeze.

So we did not eat the spinach :( I promised myself I will preserve it longer or eat it faster next time!!

My weigh-ins for the last week:
14 Jul - 88.8kg
15 Jul - 88.2kg
16 Jul - 87.8kg
17 jul - 88.8kg
18 jul - 88.6kg
19 jul - 88.8kg
20 jul - 87.8kg

Not too bad :)

So I am running errands again today, picking my mom and gran up from the airport after their holiday, dropping gran off, then taking mom to soon-to-be-mom-in-law's place to stay there for 2 nights.

I am getting excited for the wedding, it is 20 days 'til my wedding!!!

Wow, it's all go go go for you at the moment. I am impressed you are keeping to your weight goals so well.
Congratulations on your wedding coming up. :)

Only 20 days? Wowsers! You are doing well Anke & are going to look sensational on the day. Your profile pic is just gorgeous btw. I don't think I have mentioned that before xoC

Back