A rant about basic concepts I

Steve

Staff member
I am going to rant a little here. Not that I am upset or mad, it will be a friendly rant.

First, there is a metric-ton of new people signing up to this forum on a daily basis. I think it is great. It actually blows my mind how many new members we have signing up.

However, with the onset of new activity, I have noticed that everyone is looking for that "one routine" that leads to success.

My favorite when it comes to nutrition is this:

"So I tried that calorie counting thing before and it didn't work, so now I am trying low carb."

My response that I would LIKE to use is, "Earth to You. All diets are based on calories. Even if they don't directly say it, they are. It is scientifically impossible for them to NOT be based on calories. Calories are energy. To lose weight, you must create an energy deficit. No questions about it! Sure, you can try the low carb approach, but if your energy intake isn't right, you won't lose a pound. Now flip that to a high carb approach (against commonsense) however, account for energy intake and wala, you've got weight loss. You see, there is one primary underlying factor that drives weight loss, and that is calorie (energy) balance."

Sure, once calories are accounted for you can toy with the nutritional quality/amounts of your diet but that's secondary.

Or, on the training side of things, you always have the person looking for the "routine" that leads to optimal results. Guess what? There isn't one. There is a set of that apply to everyone. These principles can be arranged a million different ways to create a "method" of doing things. I hate the idea of "routines." They limit your thinking. They lock you into a set way of doing things. Knowing how amazingly adaptive our bodies are, it should be common sense that a set "routine" is not the smartest choice. Rather, understanding the basic principles that apply to everyone is paramount IMO. I know you don't want to have to put thought into it. You just want to be handed a sheet that tells you exactly when and what to eat and when and how to train. If you think you can't do this on your own, find a trainer! A good one.

This certainly isn't written in stone, and I did not plan on writing this. At this point I am merely jibber-jabbering. BUT, a few things I think everyone should understand:

1. In terms of weight lifting, it is hard to go wrong if you are training each bodypart/movement 2-3 times a week with the basic barbell exercises, focusing on something between 5 and 10 reps for 3-5 sets per exercise, and striving to improve your weights over time.

2. Manage stress. Dieting is a physiological stress. Exercise is a physiological stress. You need breaks. By constantly stressing your body, you actually accumulate fatigue. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. However, if you aren't careful, and continue to push yourself past this "over-reached" state without managing your fatigue, you can reach a point of being "over-trained." This is not a fun place to be.

3. Training to a point that creates muscle soreness or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is not necessary. Actually, often times it is negating in terms of success, especially while dieting. In most cases, when talking about muscle traits such as glycogen levels and protein synthesis, the muscle itself is recovered in almost all cases after 72 hours. But if you are experiencing residual DOMS on a regular basis, you are almost certainly not recovering neurologically, which ties into the overtrained state from above.

4. High Intensity Interval Training. Somewhere along the line of my time on the forum, things were twisted. It became the, "Steve said HIIT is the ONLY way to do cardio" forum. This is far from true. One, a combination of steady state and interval work is called for IMO. Two, not everyone should expect to be ready for HIIT their first month of training. It takes a build up of fitness to perform true HIIT. Three, I'm more likely to recommend something like tempo training than HIIT anyhow.

A simple progression for those with no exercise experience within the last 3-5 months might look something like this:

Low intensity steady state cardio (40-60% of max HR, ball-parked)
Steady state cardio (70-85% of max HR, ball-parked)
Interval training/Tempo runs
HIIT

Once you reach a "good" level of conditioning, this does NOT mean that you rely solely on HIIT.

In some cases, HIIT can be counter-productive relative to your goals due to it's intensity. If you don't understand this concept, drop me a message.

5. There is no set caloric intake that is right for everyone. If you are following a diet that is telling you to eat a certain level of calories without taking into account your personal stats, 99 out of 100 times it is a bogus diet.

So how many calories should you consume?

A general rule of thumb for determining your break-even (maintenance) caloric intake is 14-16 calories per pound of bodyweight. These numbers are skewed, however, for very lean people or very big people. These numbers also factor in a moderate level of exercise. If you aren't exercising, your maintenance will be a good bit lower than this.

Also, to invoke weight loss, a good general rule of thumb shoot for 12 cals/lb or thereabouts, get at least 1g/lbm of protein, good healthy fats (75g or so is a good number to start with) and fill in the rest with carbs.

Monitor your progress through measurements. If things are heading in the right direction, modify your approach. Maybe drop your caloric intake to 11 or 10 cals per pound.

Also remember that you're not going to drop more than at most 3 lbs week of fat, likely less in practice, so trying to pull some BS to drop scale weight in a hurry isn't going to impact that. Slow and steady wins this race.

6. Starvation mode. So many claim to be in it. They are eating 1200 calories and not losing weight. Sadly, more often then not, based on the empirical evidence that has been presented to me, people aren't actually eating 1200 calories each and everyday on a consistent basis. Sure, some days they hit that low point. However, other days they are eating 1500+. Or, on Saturdays they binge all day or have massive cheat meals at their local restaurant. Don't lie to yourself. Be precise. If you can't do that, don't complain that counting calories isn't working when you are fudging the stats.

Does low calorie intake really invoke the starvation mode? I hate this term, starvation mode. It makes it seem like there is a switch that is flipped and all of a sudden, your metabolism shuts down. This couldn't be further from the truth. In reality, even a sane, proper diet will invoke the starvation mode if you ride it out long enough. The starvation response is a process. A process that gradually slows down your metabolic rate. Never does it completely turn off your metabolism. Eat 500 calories each and everyday. I promise you will never STOP losing weight. Look at anorexics. Sure, it won't be healthy. And even if you reached your goal weight you wouldn't be happy with the way you looked. However, you would continually lose weight.

If you ate 1000 calories per day instead, maybe, dependent on the individual, weight loss could plateau. All this means is your metabolic rate dropped enough to match your 1000 calorie intake.

Point being, it doesn't drop forever. Also, the process takes a hell of a lot longer than most with a lot of weight to lose, think. If you are fat, don't worry about the starvation response. If you are lean, and looking to get leaner, then plan for the starvation response by tweaking your dietary approach.

People don't seem to realize that there's a physical limit to how low your calorie expenditure can go while you're still considered alive. Metabolic damage has become a scare-tactic buzzword with no real basis in reality.

7. Set goals properly. I am not going to get into the importance of setting goals. I just want to note that it is important to make sure your goals do not conflict. 9/10 people come onto this forum looking to lose fat and gain muscle. This is not how our bodies work. Focus on one thing at a time. Gaining muscle dictates different stimulus through diet and nutrition than does losing fat.

8. Building muscle is not the be all end all component to speeding up your metabolism. People think that muscle burns some ridiculous amount of calories per day. The latest numbers I have seen are something like 6 calories/pound/day.

Fat-free mass is the primary determinant of BMR. However, people confuse FFM and muscle. While muscle is a component of FFM, FFM is also made up of internal organs, bone, water, etc.

The decrease in BMR with dieting is not due to a loss of muscle. It is due to the process of dieting in and of itself, and the various adaptations that take place within the body.

9. You MUST eat at least 5 meals per day. Fact of fallacy?

Answer: Fallacy

There is a huge myth that has been floating around the fitness circles that eating more meals per day speeds up your metabolism, thus, helping you lose more weight.

It doesn't.

I am a fan of multiple, smaller meals. I, myself, consume 6-7 per day. However, this is not because of some magical metabolic change that occurs due to the number of meals consumed. I eat that many mainly b/c I have to pack in so much food in order to add muscle. Too, eating multiple times per day helps with macro/micro nutrient uptake, insulin regulation, etc, etc. It has its benefits, but aiding in metabolic rate and therefore weight loss is not one of them.

If you can't squeeze in that many meals per day due to schedule, don't sweat it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
A rant about basic concepts II

I am sure I will think of more things to add. Maybe I will edit the post later.

But for simplicity's sake, and for those who didn't want to read all that banter above:

1. Eat as much food as possible that still allows for weight loss. Starving yourself does not lead to long-term success.

2. Personalize a "cardio routine" to your current health status, fitness levels and abilities. Eventually it would be a good idea to have a mixture of aerobic and anaerobic cardio bouts.

3. When it comes to lifting weights: Pick up heavy things, move them up and down a few times, and put them down. Big exercises that call on big, numerous muscles are ideal for muscle maintenance. High rep work while dieting in order to "tone" is BS.

Lastly, I have been noticing a lot of people taking my word as the gospel around here. Don't do that. Never trust anyone as being a "guru." IMO, there is no such thing. A lot claim to be, especially on the web. However, don't fall for that trap. Once you do, you will stop asking questions. "Learning" will become memorizing and regurgitating what comes out of said guru's mouth. Think for yourself. Ask questions. Read on your own. Research. Get clarification. Use that thing that resides between your ears.

Changing your physique is hard. Hard because it takes a lot of work, belief, consistency, and effort. Not hard b/c there is a chance of doing things incorrectly. Or that you don't know enough. Pretty much ANYTHING will work as long as calories are in check. There, of course, are optimal ways of doing things. But, the difference between what you are doing currently, and the optimal way of doing things isn't something to get aggravated about. Rather, that difference is something to minimize through consistently modifying your approach to include more of the optimal strategies.

Don't get caught up in the way of thinking where you actually start to believe that what you are doing is futile. As long as you are doing SOMETHING, you are on the right track. It's those who give up who are heading in the wrong direction.

This was not typed with the intention of showing you exactly what to do. There are other threads devoted to that. This was simply to get you thinking conceptually.

Last edited:
I hate the idea of "routines." They limit your thinking. They lock you into a set way of doing things. Knowing how amazingly adaptive our bodies are, it should be common sense that a set "routine" is not the smartest choice. Rather, understanding the basic principles that apply to everyone is paramount IMO. I know you don't want to have to put thought into it. You just want to be handed a sheet that tells you exactly when and what to eat and when and how to train. If you think you can't do this on your own, find a trainer! A good one.

Not so much a rant as good, solid information which I hope gets read...but lately I sort of wonder how many people actually take the time to look around the forum and read the stickies because I keep seeing the same generic questions (that admittedly we all have at first) repeated that are more than answered in one or more of the stickies.

But, I do take a small exception to "I hate routines" idea...and feeling like I'm poking a stick at a bear I'm going to add my contrary 2 cents.

Day after day, for a year and a half I have seen people show up in the gym and flail away, seemingly without clear purpose. I've witnessed friends and co-workers embark on an exercise program with the vauge intention of "getting more exercise". And, frankly, I've seen people on this and other forums whose single plan seems to be to do which ever exercise "burns the most calories".

Just IMO, based on my own body and the things I've mentioned above, walking into a gym without a clear objective beyond "burning calories" is just plain silly. Taking the time to figure out a short term goal (which is a part of a longer term goal), with measureable markers of progress, developing an individualized plan with individual components that have the potential of of meeting that goal, and then sticking with that plan long enough to realistically judge how effective it is...is the purpose of having a set routine. Not to mention that I believe (again purely IMO) having and following a structred routine instills a certain needed discipline.

Okay, there's more...cause I guess I have pretty strong opinions on this area, but I'll shut up. Except to say that, based on my scientific research involving n=1, with each and every routine I have "written" and followed, there has been the potential to learn.

Not so much a rant as good, solid information which I hope gets read...but lately I sort of wonder how many people actually take the time to look around the forum and read the stickies because I keep seeing the same generic questions (that admittedly we all have at first) repeated that are more than answered in one or more of the stickies.

But, I do take a small exception to "I hate routines" idea...and feeling like I'm poking a stick at a bear I'm going to add my contrary 2 cents.

Day after day, for a year and a half I have seen people show up in the gym and flail away, seemingly without clear purpose. I've witnessed friends and co-workers embark on an exercise program with the vauge intention of "getting more exercise". And, frankly, I've seen people on this and other forums whose single plan seems to be to do which ever exercise "burns the most calories".

Just IMO, based on my own body and the things I've mentioned above, walking into a gym without a clear objective beyond "burning calories" is just plain silly. Taking the time to figure out a short term goal (which is a part of a longer term goal), with measureable markers of progress, developing an individualized plan with individual components that have the potential of of meeting that goal, and then sticking with that plan long enough to realistically judge how effective it is...is the purpose of having a set routine. Not to mention that I believe (again purely IMO) having and following a structred routine instills a certain needed discipline.

Okay, there's more...cause I guess I have pretty strong opinions on this area, but I'll shut up. Except to say that, based on my scientific research involving n=1, with each and every routine I have "written" and followed, there has been the potential to learn.

Hmm, I think you missed my point. Or more than likely, I didn't make my point clear.

Routine in the sense that I used it above and the sense that MOST "noobs" take it as =

A program that is set in stone. Rigid.

Even if I took the time to design, what I thought to be the most amazing fitness routine out there, it would not be applicable to everyone. My point is, the concept of a "routine" and the rigidity that accompanies it locks people into not only making things work for themselves. It also locks them into the trap of not wanting to learn what works for them through trial and error due to their faith in The Routine.

Never did I imply that people should go into the gym and do whatever they think is best and change this up from day to day with no rhyme or reason, other than this is what they are "feeling" today.

Actually, the whole point in writing this was to get some of the concepts laid out for the readers to understand what goes into creating a personal routine, instead of The Routine. Follow me?

I want people to lose the blinders and realize that even if a routine is written perfectly for YOU, it won't be perfect for long as your body adapts. Since our bodies are such amazingly adaptive mechanisms, it makes no sense at all to fall victim of The Routine mentality. Rather, IMO, it is best for them to learn the concepts and learn to apply them individually.

Yes, I think you're both saying the same thing in different ways. It's the personalized routine that makes a big difference. Like Cym says, the sense of purpose is critical. And like Steve says, the personalization is also critical.

I've found that's made a HUGE difference in the past 2 months for me. I go to the gym with a real sense of purpose, and I'm able to track my progress, which is a real source of motivation by itself.

Never did I imply that people should go into the gym and do whatever they think is best and change this up from day to day with no rhyme or reason, other than this is what they are "feeling" today.

QUOTE]
LOL, I can't imagine that you'd ever imply that!:eek: But I do think that no matter how uncomfortable you are with it, and no matter how much you say "just stop it already!"...reality is that there are many many people who are going to take every word you say in the form of a stone tablet. Simply because you already know more than most of us will ever learn and forget.

And, with this in mind (although Tomo is dead right that I think we were just saying the same thing in different words), I just thought this particular part of your post: "I hate the idea of "routines" could be both misunderstood and misapplied....hence my 2 cents.

Hahahaha
I think this was the most enjoyable thing to read. I am new to the forum but not to weight and gaining, losing and exercising. I'm not taking any side but I agree with all of you...all sides....cause they're all true. Therefore... Degree or no degree....your mind is only as smart as you make it....challenging yourself to learn and succeed is the best thing. Calories and Carbs...the same and different each leading to potential weight loss depending on a personal plan.

Hahahaha
I think this was the most enjoyable thing to read. I am new to the forum but not to weight and gaining, losing and exercising. I'm not taking any side but I agree with all of you...all sides....cause they're all true. Therefore... Degree or no degree....your mind is only as smart as you make it....challenging yourself to learn and succeed is the best thing. Calories and Carbs...the same and different each leading to potential weight loss depending on a personal plan.

Glad you enjoyed the thread. I am enjoying it myself. :)

Calories lead to weight loss. At least the permanent kind.

Steve, what about the emotional side? Does depression depress our body's ability to burn fuel? Sometimes I hear people creating a deficit, but can't seem to lose weight--but when they get happier they start losing...:confused:

Steve, what about the emotional side? Does depression depress our body's ability to burn fuel? Sometimes I hear people creating a deficit, but can't seem to lose weight--but when they get happier they start losing...:confused:

I don't think emotions play a role in metabolic rate. Maybe when they are happier they adhere to their diet and exercise program more strictly.

Steve, is ketosis even real? I was under the impression it had at least SOME scientific premise... I'm wondering if you could take advantage ketosis and combine it with a healthy line up. I find my diet lacking carbs on some days and I currently haven't been watching them, it's just the things I like don't have that many! I see the point that in reality MOST low-carb success stories are actually just a deficit created "behind the scenes," but if you could use ketosis to jumpstart a healthy diet it seems like a win-win scenario. I have no clue what I’m talking about though, and although it doesn’t seem like it would be a drastic change, but would there be and retributions of doing that and then just keeping a deficit including carbs afterwards?

Keesee, take a gander at this thread, started by a guy who's convinced Atkins is the perfect program. Ketosis made him so weak he couldn't exercise anymore. So it seems like it could jumpstart you, all right, but not into a healthy diet.

Damn what did I miss? Steve you were being insulting? Usually you insult and apologize in the same thread, doesnt make sense.

Remember the thermic effect of feeding when eating more meals throughout the day. While it has minor metabolism increase, it still does more than eating 1-3 times per day. But I get what your saying :)

Damn what did I miss? Steve you were being insulting? Usually you insult and apologize in the same thread, doesnt make sense.

Remember the thermic effect of feeding when eating more meals throughout the day. While it has minor metabolism increase, it still does more than eating 1-3 times per day. But I get what your saying :)

Ahhh, I don't know about that. Eating 3 compared to 5 meals, at least with the research I have seen, does little to nothing in speeding up metabolism.

I wouldn't suggest eating 1, but certainly don't have a problem with 3. However, I also always say, the more the better. But not because of it's aid in speeding up metabolism.

If you care, I will certainly post the links to the research I am referring to.

Keesee, take a gander at this thread, started by a guy who's convinced Atkins is the perfect program. Ketosis made him so weak he couldn't exercise anymore. So it seems like it could jumpstart you, all right, but not into a healthy diet.

Honestly, it looks like he isn't nessasarily in tune with all there is to know about Atkins... I can't really afford to be weak as a side effect of a diet right now either. I tried Atkins with a little success a few years ago, but it didn't stay off and the loss wasnt significant. Thanks for the tips!

Back