A rant about basic concepts I

Don't get caught up in the way of thinking where you actually start to believe that what you are doing is futile. As long as you are doing SOMETHING, you are on the right track. It's those who give up who are heading in the wrong direction.

This is so true.

And look for the sucesses where you least expect them.

Are you stronger?
Are you seeing positive changes in your skin, eyes, hair and nails ?

These are some pleasant surprises I have had, even though they were not in my initial goals. They are bonus!

Getting fit requires constant re-assessment as the body changes. And another thing, I have to learn to be more patient. I think a lot of people have my problem. It's a generational thing, maybe. We want it NOW.

I know I ain't getting it now. I might as well enjoy the ride.

$40 and you don't even get a physical book to keep? Damn.

You get what you pay for. Many of the books I buy are up around and over 100 bucks. If they were in e-book format, I would still spend the money. That is what printers and binders are for. It's not about what the product looks like. It's about what it says.

to steve re: the topic: All i have to say to that is aaaaamen! lol you remind me a little of my old gym teacher who played a huge part in my weightloss in high school. it's people like you that i was hoping to find here. +1 motivation point to you lol

to steve re: the topic: All i have to say to that is aaaaamen! lol you remind me a little of my old gym teacher who played a huge part in my weightloss in high school. it's people like you that i was hoping to find here. +1 motivation point to you lol

Thanks very much for the kind words! I hope you continue to find what you're looking for. :)

I already have I think, after my first night on here I got off the computer and did a good little workout, my arms are still a teeny sore which for me is a good thing considering I have **no** upper body strength. I can't do pushups at all lol... that might have to be a goal of mine: to be able to do pushups! lol

Hi!

I don't like routine ideas either and generally do a Tae Boe tape, go for a walk, or do other individual weight exercises at different times througout the week. What I am not sure on is what group of muscles to work out and give a rest to on opposite days a week. Like is it allright to do squats and overhead presses on one day and Biceps and lunges on the next or do you have to wait a day in between. I would like to do 30 min of cardio and 20 minutes of weightlifting everyday.

I don't like routine ideas either and generally do a Tae Boe tape, go for a walk, or do other individual weight exercises at different times througout the week. What I am not sure on is what group of muscles to work out and give a rest to on opposite days a week. Like is it allright to do squats and overhead presses on one day and Biceps and lunges on the next or do you have to wait a day in between. I would like to do 30 min of cardio and 20 minutes of weightlifting everyday.

You may have taken my point out of context. I am not a fan of "routines" in the sense that there are many "gurus" out there bringing their special "routines" to the market and selling it to large populations of people. What's ideal for one is most likely not for another. That said, I am a fan of routines in the sense of, here is how you should train in general, now adapt and apply it to meet your individual variables and needs.

Also, with regards to lifting weights, you should be hitting each major muscle group at least 2 times per week. I don't recommend splitting your routine up by body part. Rather, assuming you are dieting, something like a full body routine 2-3 times per week would better suit you. And stay away from a lot of isolation work such as bicep curls and tricep extensions. Those exercises have a place and time.... and dieting just isn't one of them. Stick with the bigger lifts. You might want to check out my stickie in the "weight loss through exercise" section of this website. The thread is titled, "workout." I understand the vids are down from this post, but you will still get an idea of what I'm talking about.

So after reading all this I am safe to assume that if you have the means to eat more than 3 times a day do so, but if you don't have the possibility to eat that many times try to get at least 3 meals in a day.

As for the routines before my accident I never had a routine I did whatever I felt like that day I hit the gym, the only routine was I went to the gym regularly. I really don't want to start a routine now with getting back into the gym because I'll get bored and that will make it easy to quit going, at least for me anyway. My workouts used to consists of maybe a day of racket ball, maybe weights the next, toss in some swimming, steppers, etc,I just kept a variety going.

So after reading all this I am safe to assume that if you have the means to eat more than 3 times a day do so, but if you don't have the possibility to eat that many times try to get at least 3 meals in a day.

Correct.

As for the routines before my accident I never had a routine I did whatever I felt like that day I hit the gym, the only routine was I went to the gym regularly. I really don't want to start a routine now with getting back into the gym because I'll get bored and that will make it easy to quit going, at least for me anyway. My workouts used to consists of maybe a day of racket ball, maybe weights the next, toss in some swimming, steppers, etc,I just kept a variety going.

I think you misunderstood my problem with the "routine-mentality." There are so many pre-packaged "routines" floating around out there nowadays that many people get sucked into the rigidity of these things. "Oh no!!!! I did incline bench press for 8 reps instead of flat bench press for 12 reps like the routine calls for."

That's my issue.

There are no programs that covers the needs for everyone. And there are no routines that will work forever. As the body changes, so should the routine. And our bodies change at very individual rates.

So it comes down to understanding the basics and making a routine work for YOU.

As much as I'm not a fan of pre-packaged programs.... I'm also not a fan of simply "doing whatever" one feels like. You have to build upon something. Some structure is required.

Doing something is always better than doing nothing..... ideally that *something* has a plan.

its been quite a while since i posted. i mainly dont post anymore because i feel my habits are probably not the best way to maintain weight and therefore i am basically a "fraud" so to speak. i HAVE been maintaining my weight loss since i joined this forum a few years back, but i do not eat a lot of the time and probably am what fitness experts would call a fat skinny person.

Steve, you gave a lot of good advice in your opening post. i hope a lot of people will read it, do their own research, and find success. in a nutshell, the reason a lot of people fail at weight loss is because they do not weight train at the same time they are "dieting" and losing weight. if you do not weight train, half the weight lost will be muscle and this in turn will cause your metabolism to become sluggish. progress will eventually grind to a halt and you will not only become discouraged, but will start gaining back all the weight you lost and probably even more. best of luck to all!

Hey steve great rant wish I would have read it a year ago when I was getting started on this journey :). I have a question about what you said as far as the very obese people go and the starvation point. I am at 447lbs down from 488lbs but up from my lowest a few months ago. I was aiming for 3000 to 3500cals and trying to aim lower at the 3000 mark mostly. I am trying to get 200g of protein as that is my goal weight and it would be 1g per lbs at that weight. Less then 30% from fat I take multi vitamin pak and fish oil caps as well. I tend to try and very my cals like 3000 mon 3400 tue 2800 wed is this a bad idea or good idea In your opinion?

Now for my original question that I almost forgot to ask. At my weight if I got 200g of protein and less then 30% from fat would 2000 to 2500 cals be to low ? I never went nearly that low out of fear of slowing my metabolism down but now I am wondering if I would be ok at that level?

Again thanks for the great rant :)

Hey steve great rant wish I would have read it a year ago when I was getting started on this journey :). I have a question about what you said as far as the very obese people go and the starvation point.

In a very small nutshell, obese people can get away with measures of dieting that average people cannot.

I am at 447lbs down from 488lbs but up from my lowest a few months ago. I was aiming for 3000 to 3500cals and trying to aim lower at the 3000 mark mostly. I am trying to get 200g of protein as that is my goal weight and it would be 1g per lbs at that weight. Less then 30% from fat I take multi vitamin pak and fish oil caps as well. I tend to try and very my cals like 3000 mon 3400 tue 2800 wed is this a bad idea or good idea In your opinion?

Sounds like a fine idea. You could probably even go a bit higher in the protein.

Realize that there is no One Correct Way of going about this. But your approach seems sound. Your cals seem good. If I were in your shoes I'd shoot for 3000 cals as many days as I could.

Now for my original question that I almost forgot to ask. At my weight if I got 200g of protein and less then 30% from fat would 2000 to 2500 cals be to low ? I never went nearly that low out of fear of slowing my metabolism down but now I am wondering if I would be ok at that level?

Firstly, you should adhere to the diet that you will be able to stick with. Just b/c you *could* go lower doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing for *you* to do. KWIM?

Maintenance, including activity, for the average is 14-16 calories per pound, assuming know metabolic disruption. For the obese, these numbers are skewed. Your maintenance may be something like 12-14 calories per pound. That said, again assuming quite a bit, you could potentially drop your cals down to 2800 or so, which would be half of your maintenance.

But again, that's certainly not necessary nor is it definitely the right thing to do.

I don't think emotions play a role in metabolic rate. Maybe when they are happier they adhere to their diet and exercise program more strictly.

For me personally:Exactly.. The emotions can make you just say:

Forget it..Today I'll stay in p.j.'s, zone out with the t.v. and have a pity party..{Sometimes which can lead to a dern binge.}

Nothin' was wrong w/my metab.."I" made the choice to not move and eat properly for that day..

As an emotional eater that is tryin' to recover and take back my life, I can honestly say to others:

If yer in this boat, please listen to the lil voice that just says:

"Pick yourself up, dust off yer hind-end, live, learn, MOVE!"

On the days I'd rather sit 'n cry and have my full blown pitty party, eat everything in the house bc I deserve it soooo much, and just be as lazy as possible, that lil voice gets through and I feel so good that I didn't give in..

Once I decided to eat my healthy breakfast, get movin', and so on - Boy was I sooooo glad! Exercise and eating right can really knock the blues away.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger!

Emotions do not make us unhealthy/out of shape - Giving into them does!

Fight - Fight - Fight!

;)

{Super great thread Steve!} :)

In a very small nutshell, obese people can get away with measures of dieting that average people cannot.

Sounds like a fine idea. You could probably even go a bit higher in the protein.

Realize that there is no One Correct Way of going about this. But your approach seems sound. Your cals seem good. If I were in your shoes I'd shoot for 3000 cals as many days as I could.

Firstly, you should adhere to the diet that you will be able to stick with. Just b/c you *could* go lower doesn't necessarily mean it's the right thing for *you* to do. KWIM?

Maintenance, including activity, for the average is 14-16 calories per pound, assuming know metabolic disruption. For the obese, these numbers are skewed. Your maintenance may be something like 12-14 calories per pound. That said, again assuming quite a bit, you could potentially drop your cals down to 2800 or so, which would be half of your maintenance.

But again, that's certainly not necessary nor is it definitely the right thing to do.

Thanks steve and I find when I eat anywhere over 200g of protein I find it harder to eat 3500 then 3000 so I usually fall around where I did yesterday in the 2800 2900 mark naturally so I will stay there and see what happens. I have been losing since cutting out the fast food so I am thinking that mainly it was the salt and the lack of water that was hurting me with all the fast food and of course the lack of nutrition in it.

As far as obese people's maintenance is it lower per lb on average (I know its never cut and dry with BMR) because of their lack of activity or the high level of low calorie using fat? O.k. after writing this I realize the answer is prob a combination of the 2 lol

thanks again for all the help. I will be posting my fitdays in my journal if you get a chance to look at them and tell me what you would do different I would appreciate it. I already got in trouble for lack of veggies so I am going to cut up some peppers for my lunch now lol.

Back