marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told that smoking will aid recovery through relaxing the muscle, although this is nowhere near anything scientific. Just thought I'd like to contribute something I've heard in passing.

junkfoodbad said:
I heard in Europe, people roll tobacco in their joints to cut it and make it easier to smoke. Thats not common practice in the US (im a former pothead).

I didnt realise that you dont use bakky in the US, but I just mentioned it to my mate here and he said that every body knows that so i guess im a bit behind.

Its not to make it easyer to smoke, its the opposite. If you smoke cigarettes, then its nice to get the nicotine and weed at the same time plus its more harsh.

This is gettin a lil' off topic.. I'll leave it open until someone's toes get stepped on one more time :p

deschain said:
ok ok, I'll stop. I don't do that anymore, cuz I'm all growd up and responsible and stuff.

yeah me to.

If anyone is offended or thinks that talking about drugs shouldnt be happening here i understand.

Just PM me and i'll delete my posts

I skimmed this thread, so if someone already stated what I'm about to state, I apologize. Smoking, whether that be cigarettes or marijuana, causes vasoconstriction. The vessels tighten, or constrict, reducing blood flow. You are reducing the perfusion of blood to your brain, muscles and tissues each time you light up. Doing this directly after a workout is a very bad idea, because you want healthy circulation and oxygenation to your muscles so they can grow. Hope this helps.

(See, I may not know much about working out, but I can tell you how the body works. I knew I was good for something around here!) ;)

Neuro -
Yeah thats very true, but on the otherhand. When you workout you increase you circulation and ur vessels widen. So there is no real way of telling if they constrict enough to counter the effects of your workout.

Tobbaco and Drinking Far more dangerous then smokeing some weed. common.

I smoke marijuana daily and I used to Drink and Smoke tobbaco too, but when i started pumping i quit drinking and smokeing tobbaco. and i can tell you right now. Tobbaco and drinking is far worse then smokeing weed. I can FEEL the difference. I work out M-Sat and never use marijuana before working out.. but after a workout like 1 hour after or so.. I find that it helps me relax and feel good. I NEVER felt good from Tobbaco or Drinking..
Just thought i would say how it affects me.

manofkent said:
Neuro -
Yeah thats very true, but on the otherhand. When you workout you increase you circulation and ur vessels widen. So there is no real way of telling if they constrict enough to counter the effects of your workout.

Yes, but when it constricts, it still constricts, there's no way around it. It still decreases the blood flow to your muscles moreso than if you hadn't lit up. So you're doing yourself a disservice by smoking after your workout, regardless. It wouldn't hurt to wait a few hours and let your muscles get some oxygenation before you smoke. But if it's something that helps you relax, and you're going to be antsy and tense waiting for the moment you can light up, then by all means, you may as well just smoke. The anxiety is going to increase your blood pressure and have just as many ill effects. Only anxiety doesn't ruin your lungs, lol. And smoking weed is waaay more damaging to your lungs than cigarettes. Because when people smoke weed, then tend to inhale much more deeply, and hold it in...searing the lung tissue. When people smoke cigarettes, they pretty much just puff it in and out. Just a tid bit of info. :)

NeuroRN76 said:
Yes, but when it constricts, it still constricts, there's no way around it. It still decreases the blood flow to your muscles moreso than if you hadn't lit up. So you're doing yourself a disservice by smoking after your workout, regardless. It wouldn't hurt to wait a few hours and let your muscles get some oxygenation before you smoke. But if it's something that helps you relax, and you're going to be antsy and tense waiting for the moment you can light up, then by all means, you may as well just smoke. The anxiety is going to increase your blood pressure and have just as many ill effects. Only anxiety doesn't ruin your lungs, lol. And smoking weed is waaay more damaging to your lungs than cigarettes. Because when people smoke weed, then tend to inhale much more deeply, and hold it in...searing the lung tissue. When people smoke cigarettes, they pretty much just puff it in and out. Just a tid bit of info. :)

I touched on this as well and the author of the thread claimed he wasn't interested in our "subjective opinions" on this matter.
:rolleyes:

jediracer said:
okay, couple things first. yes, i did a search, but no current threads answered my question. also, i am not interested in people's opinions on whether marijuana is morally okay or not. i'm also not interested in people's subjective opinions on whether or not marijuana is "bad" for you physically or mentally. everyone has an opinion and opinions are usually strong when dealing with subjects such as this. i don't care about opinions, i'm looking for hard facts and personal experiences.

so here's the deal. i've used marijuana regularly for about 10 years now. i work out 5 days a week, which involves running roughly 60 miles (per week) and intense circuit training and weight lifting. i ran my first marathon last june (grandma's) with a pretty decent time of 5:15.

this bring me to my actual question. i occasionally smoke marijuana after working out and/or running. (never before or during.) does anyone know if doing so decreases muscle recovery time? it feels as if my muscles become more relaxed much quicker than if i don't get high after. or is there a negative effect in that it lowers your metabolism therefore making it so you burn less calories after working out than you would normally?

are there any informed people out there with insight into this?

Dude, listen to yourself. You ran a 5:15 marathon and are wondering if pot has a negative effect on your running performance? 5:15 sucks. Take your goals into consideration, if you want to run marathons well, pot isn't helping. Also, this is the bodybuilding section, not the runners section

Sorry if I offended the original poster.. not trying to preach, I just encourage people to stay as healthy as possible. It's kinda my job, lol! Best wishes.

LeiYunFat said:
I've been told that smoking will aid recovery through relaxing the muscle, although this is nowhere near anything scientific. Just thought I'd like to contribute something I've heard in passing.

That depends on the person. It's not like alcohol.

Toward the end of my days of smoking weed, I used to get very tense. I've tried it a few times since then, but I don't like the high anymore because it makes me so tense and even paranoid.

I can't relax under the effects of weed, thus I can't focus.

Cynic said:
Toward the end of my days of smoking weed, I used to get very tense. I've tried it a few times since then, but I don't like the high anymore because it makes me so tense and even paranoid.

Why do you need to focus when ur just chilling out at home watching a film before you go to bed.

Its not like I get cained every morning before I go to work.

NeuroRN76 said:
And smoking weed is waaay more damaging to your lungs than cigarettes. Because when people smoke weed, then tend to inhale much more deeply, and hold it in...searing the lung tissue. When people smoke cigarettes, they pretty much just puff it in and out. Just a tid bit of info. :)

Not to mention the fact that most people smoke filtered cigarettes.

SMax said:
actually its a fitness forum. youre very rude.

idiot.jpg

Cynic said:
That depends on the person. It's not like alcohol.

Yeah i gave up daily weed smoking about 7 or 8 years ago. I was starting to get very parnoid and anti-social on the stuff.

manofkent said:
Why do you need to focus when ur just chilling out at home watching a film before you go to bed.

That's just it, I can't even sit to watch a movie. Somehow, under the influence, everything relates back to death and mine own eventual, so I just can't do the stuff anymore.

Moderators and administrators moderate this forum. Users may help by REPORTING bad posts...

do not take matters into your own hands.

Cynic said:
That's just it, I can't even sit to watch a movie. Somehow, under the influence, everything relates back to death and mine own eventual, so I just can't do the stuff anymore.

Canabis is a psycoactive drug, meaning it will change your mood, but it is not a psycotropic drug so it will not make you hallucinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back