I'm a mess! Got any advice?

Hey everyone. I've been reading the forums for a while, so I decided to make my first post. Be gentle.

I'm 18 years old, 6'2", 240lbs, 26%bf. I've been trying for some time to drop some fat and gain some muscle, but due to my many years on my high school drumline, my muscles are very unbalanced. My back, legs, and shoulders are extremily strong, but my arms, chest, and core are relatively weak. What's better: continually training all my muscles evenly, or letting my stronger areas atrophy a bit so that I'm more even?

I've also been going to the gym for a while, but only recently have I seriously included my diet as a part of my fitness; that is to say, I've given up sodas, fast food, and the like for some time, but only lately have I been using protein shakes, and eating lots of eggs and the like. I've recently found that it's better to eat every 2-3 hours though; other say it's best to eat as little as possible. What's you guys' concensus on this issue, and what should I concentrate on eating? I have quite a few options open to me, since my university has a ton of resturaunts under it's meal plan, so I'm good for anything.

Thanks for the help guys.

Train your whole body evenly. You will eventually even out and not risk injury. Yuo should always do the same number of sets for opposing muscle groups (chest/back, etc.).

Six meals a day with a protien source and fruits and vegetables in each. Figure out your maintenance calorie requirement and cut it by a few hundred for fat loss. Divide the result by 6 and try to eat that many calories in each of your 6 meals.

Work the whole body evenly. It will eventually even out and you will not risk injury. You should always do the same number of sets for opposing muscle groups (chest/back, etc.).

Try to eat 6 meals a day, with a protien source and a fruit or vegetable in in each. Divide your desired calorie intake by 6 and try to consume that many calories per meal. If your goal is fat loss then you need to take in less than your maintenance calorie level per day.

Look here: .

Go to the second post, and look for "Neanderthal No More." It's a series put out by Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey on fixing imbalances.

train evenly. letting your strong muscles get weak isn't a wise idea...smarter to bring your weak muscles up to the level of your strong ones.

work everything, eat right, rest well.

Back