Enjoy this low fat vegetable and pasta dish as roasting vegetables brings out their wonderful flavors.
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 yellow crookneck squash, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup peeled and diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 2 small tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray roasting pan with cooking oil spray.
- Place the vegetables (peppers, eggplant, yellow squash and butternut squash) in a roaster. Lightly spray with cooking oil spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables for about 20 to 25 minutes or until tender and are beginning to turn brown. Stir occasionally to keep one side from burning.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted until tender but al dente. Drain. Reserve 1/3-cup liquid.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables, pasta, tomatoes and basil.
- Add garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. If too dry, add up to 1/3 cup of the reserved pasta liquid; season with a little salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.