Get hooked on artichokes with your own choice of favorite dip.
- 2 lemons
- 4 large artichokes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To prepare artichokes: Fill a Dutch oven with water; add the juice of 1 lemon.
- Trim leaves from the top of an artichoke.
- Remove the outer layer(s) of leaves from the stem end and snip all remaining spiky tips from the outer leaves.
- Trim an inch off the bottom of the stem and use a vegetable peeler to remove the fibrous outer layer.
- As each artichoke is prepared, drop it into the lemon water to prevent it from turning brown.
- When all the artichokes are prepared, cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Boil until the base of the stem can be pierced with a fork, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Slice the artichokes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the choke and first few inner layers in the center until the heart is revealed.
- Brush each half with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the artichokes until tender and lightly charred, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a serving platter, squeeze half a lemon over them and garnish with the remaining lemon half cut into 4 wedges. Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.