These delicious low fat, low cholesterol cookies are perfect for Santa, or anyone else wanting to watch their waste-line this holiday season!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped and melted
- Move rack to center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer about 1 minute, until foamy. Beat in granulated sugar in a slow, and steady stream. Beat in brown sugar one tablespoon at a time. Beat about 3 minutes; until smooth. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheet about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies until flat yet springy, with slightly cracked tops, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Let the pan cool for a few minutes before baking another batch; replace parchment paper.