Whisper's Diary

According to your government the root system of American elm varies according to soil moisture and
texture. In heavy, wet soils the root system is widespreading, with
most of the roots within 3 to 4 feet (1.0 - 1.2 m) of the surface. On
drier soils, American elm develops a deep taproot.
That's inconclusive, but unless the treelets are truly tiny it'll probably be a bother either way. I guess you could try digging up one to see and if they go down further than a foot you could theoretically cut off the main stem a foot below the surface and leave the problem for whoever wants to do more complicated stuff with the yard in the future.

I got a good laugh, "According to your government...". I needed that.

A lot of them are small so I'm going to try and see if I can dig. The ground is so hard though. But maybe the small ones won't go down as far. If not, then I'll do the best I can. If I win the lottery, I can pay someone lol.

Hey, Tom. You have obviously been doing a great job. Just tackle one part at a time & try not to let it overwhelm you. Is your bossy brother financial & could he pay for a skip for a week so that you could get rid of lots of stuff? It's worth finding out how much that would be. If there is a corner that you can block off or hide to put as much as you can out of the way then I would be doing that. The big stuff that you can't move, you could put a raised bed over it or around it & fill it with dirt. Without heavy machinery, you may be stymied a bit. Covering stuff might be your only alternative. Do what you can with what you have, knowing that you are doing the best you can. Is there any way of getting old cars or old machinery to the dump? Is there any sort of assistance available there for stuff like that? If that car in one of your pics is not a going concern, maybe add as much as you can onto & in it & then cover it over with a tarpaulin.
I think it's really good that you are working on it. I wish I could help!

Hey, Tom. You have obviously been doing a great job. Just tackle one part at a time & try not to let it overwhelm you. Is your bossy brother financial & could he pay for a skip for a week so that you could get rid of lots of stuff? It's worth finding out how much that would be. If there is a corner that you can block off or hide to put as much as you can out of the way then I would be doing that. The big stuff that you can't move, you could put a raised bed over it or around it & fill it with dirt. Without heavy machinery, you may be stymied a bit. Covering stuff might be your only alternative. Do what you can with what you have, knowing that you are doing the best you can. Is there any way of getting old cars or old machinery to the dump? Is there any sort of assistance available there for stuff like that? If that car in one of your pics is not a going concern, maybe add as much as you can onto & in it & then cover it over with a tarpaulin.
I think it's really good that you are working on it. I wish I could help!

Thanks. I did identify two parts of the yard where I can put stuff. One part is behind one of the sheds and I've already started moving the boards to that location. That will take care of the one part around the shed and also between the old truck and the scaffolding. That will give me the opportunity to clear out a lot. I also told my sister that I'm taking over my brother's truck out there and putting trash in it that can't be put out with the regular trash pickup. My older brother doesn't have any money and when he does it goes all on him. He has a truck that was given to him. One of his friends passed away and the family gave my brother the truck. With a copy of the water bill, we can do I think 2 loads a month. but getting that done is like impossible. Some stuff is really heavy and I am close to a hernia. I have been coughing so much lately with allergies that I feel like the hernia area is getting worse, so I have to be careful what all i pick up. Ugh. This getting older stuff isn't for the meek. LOL. I'm going to do small stuff and as I go along, I'll force the issue of the rest of it. Have a great day!

Doing what you can, when you can is all you can do. I'm sure it'll feel a lot better even just getting the smaller stuff out of the way!

Keep the boards accessible. You may be able to make some garden beds out of them. You can only do what you can & it sounds like you are making leeway with it all. Allergies suck, but I know I need to get outside as often as I can to feel better, even with allergies. I can't lift anything heavy either, but I love to potter about in the garden. You never really get there.

This is a different angle from a picture up above, but this is the before and after shot of what I did today. I felt really good today actually. It's been a while. Other than worrying if I have a hernia or not, today was a good day. I worked out in the backyard for like 1 1/2 hours and wasn't really tired. I was drenched from the humidity though. and I went for a walk today also.

Attachments

• 20220423_100841b.jpg
    20220423_100841b.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220423_151441b.jpg
    20220423_151441b.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 5
There's something that I've been thinking about. Maybe, someone will know or have an opinion.

Can eating certain foods or drinking certain drinks cause you to bloat up in weight on the scale overnight?

I've been trying to understand the entire weight gain/loss process. Yesterday, I did a lot of yard work and sweated a lot so today I would have thought I'd be down in weight. Instead, I was up significantly. I know I didn't really gain the weight, but still it showed up anyway.

Could eating a piece of pizza or something that I'm allergic too cause the bloat or sipping on some caffeine? I know if I was to eat pizza (loaded with sodium) and then guzzle a lot of water, then I could easily have water retention and that'd temporary make the scales go mad. But, usually that's not the case.

Any opinions?

Allergies can cause water retention, sodium can cause water retention, unaccustomed amounts of exercise can cause water retention and I'm going to guess high blood pressure could, too.

Very long winded....sorry....kind of emotional today

Well this is the time of year that I traditionally get depressed a lot, not that I don't the rest of the year. But, this time of year is more so. I don't have any kids, and in a lot of ways, I feel I missed out on a big part of life.

When it comes time for graduation, I feel like everyone else is graduating and I'm being left behind. It's weird because in school, I did pretty well, when I wanted to anyway. At the beginning of the year, I always decided on what grade I was going to get largely based upon the amount of effort. I didn't always have straight A's. There were even a couple of D's thrown in there, but that was due to missing a lot of school (like 30 days in a year, I was sick a lot) and we moved a lot so I frequently changed from school to school. But I did pretty well never-the-less. I made the National Honor Society. I got Citizen ship awards, popularity awards, Junior High class favorite, Best All Around Student voted on by the teachers, etc. The best years of school for me was from the 6th to the 8th grade. I wrote an article or two for the school newspaper. I was on the Junior National Board of Directors for a local bank one year. In Junior High, I played basketball, soccer, volleyball (for church), softball (men's team), did track and field - shot put and discus, went to national competition for Christian schools 2 years in a row. My high school years wasn't that bad either. I was ahead of my class. I took Junior English Honors when I was a sophomore. I graduated a half of a year early. It was a new school, so I didn't play any sports in high school. Then later in life, after graduating, I joined a bowling team and played disc golf. I bowled in a league, which we got first place. I received a lot of patches and trophies for bowling. I bowled in tournaments and sweepers. One year, I made it to the Pepsi games of Texas. I had over a 700 scratch series to qualify while I had an average of 175 at that time. My highest game ever was a 289 in practice. I bowled 10 strikes in a row, hung a 10 pin, and missed it.

My work career consisted of working for a company for 34 years. My job was eventually sent over seas.

But I lead a double life. Even though school was good and the best part of my younger life. I only had friends at school. I never had any sleepovers, movie outings, or anything. No one ever came over and I never went anywhere except for two occasions, one was to see the Philadelphia 76ers (Dr J was my favorite player) and another time to see the Harlem Globe Trotters. I love those two times. Basketball was my life from 6th to 9th grade. During the playoffs, the games on the West Coast wouldn't start until late, 9pm or 11pm. I'd stay up and watch the game on a little TV in the living room while everyone else was asleep. My parents were alcoholics and divorced when I was 9 and remarried (for the sake of the kids) when I was 13. My parents never came to my games except for one time. My mother and brother came to homecoming, but left at halftime because it was "boring". That was the extent of the support I got. Even when I was 8 or 9, I played for the city soccer league (have no idea how I got into soccer, no one in my family is sports oriented. I used to joke that I was adopted. My grandmother said my mother slept around so much that she wondered if I was truly my dad's, but I have his same birthmark so that answered that question for me). In the city soccer league, we got first place, not a trophy but a ribbon. I still have the soccer pictures of me by myself and the team, and the ribbon. Anyway, my coach had to come to my house and tell my mom about it and give her our pictures. During the divorce years, my mother worked in a bar on the county line strip. She wore hot pants. My dad was falling down drunk most of the time so we spent a lot of time at baby sitters that we didn't know, etc. My mom and dad fought a lot, litterally my dad beat her. My mom dated some questionable men at the time. It was not good. Things happened to me and I hated men after that. (read into what you will, you probably aren't far off). My mom always told me that I was happy go lucky and then all of a sudden I changed. So while at school, I was voted for popularity, there was the other side. I was quiet (my 6th grade sunday school teacher always said I wouldn't talk and she had to try and draw anything out of me.). At home, a neighbor of 4 years to my mom, called me the unseen because during that time, she only thought my mom had 3 kids instead of 4. For all practical aspects, I was invisible. For the most part, I had quit talking altogether.

There's lots that I could say or get into, but I'm tired.....I'm tired of life....then I saw a youtube video and a guy said, "You aren't tired of living; you are tired of not living." That really sums it up. I've always done what was expected of me, while at the same time wondering when it was going to be my time.

This year is different. A couple of months ago, I was recommended a basketball video on Youtube. It ended up being a school and they have sports from grades 5 through 12. I started watching them play and really enjoyed it. I have long given up on "professional" sports, way to political for me. Watching was painful at first. I could hear mothers and fathers encouraging and cheering on their kids. They were at the games! I watched enough games and noticed trends. Some had brothers in higher grades that played basketball also. They went to their games and their brothers came to theirs. One thing I liked is that you could see someone in high school and go back each year to see how they progressed. Their parents supported other players on the team as well and called out their names. It reminded me of one time in my life. I was in the 7th grade. We were at an away game. It was after the game. There was a crowd of people, but I was sitting on the bleachers alone. There was a circle of emptiness around me. Behind me, over my right shoulder, I could hear two moms whispering. I got the sense they were talking about me. Next thing, I know, they called one of their sons over (someone on my team). He came down and asked me if I wanted anything to eat. I politely declined. Even if I was all alone, at least they cared somewhat.

Anyway, the last couple of days have been graduation days. Youtube showed a couple of ceremonies for the school I've been watching. but instead of being depressed this time, I was happy. This was the first time, that I could watch anyone graduate since I graduated myself. There was the High School graduation and the 6th grade awards ceremony. They did really good. Most of the basketball team got awards. And a couple of them was for leadership and the presidential reward for academics (having at least an A- average covering multiple years of school), proving you could be a "jock" and be smart at the same time, at least putting in terms from my school generation that I came from. Reminded me when I "graduated" from 8th grade. I was playing sports (not particularly good at any one of them) and I got the popularity awards and got into the National Honor Society. My grandmother later told me that she was sitting by a young girl and heard her say, "and he has muscles too". Sports players weren't exactly looked upon as smart back in those days. Another way I felt like an oddity. At least, my family showed up for the graduations.

Sorry, had to get some things off my chest. Today, after a night of very weird dreams, I feel okay. I got up early this morning and watched one of the ceremonies live. And although there was a small part of me that felt like things were ending, there was a much larger part of me that felt like it was a new beginning.

With that said, I really need to lose weight. It's hard, but now I'm pretty sure I have a hernia and that isn't going to go away. Losing weight would help everything all the way around. It would help my self image overall. I know that shouldn't really be the reason, but at least I'm working on some of the other issues. I need to find a light exercise routine that I can do to tone up, but not aggravate my groin.

I hate feeling alone. The emptiness feeling bothers me the most. It feels like me against the world. The world feels very much bigger than I am.

Thanks for listening.

🫂 I'm so sorry the people who were supposed to build you up and support you failed you so thoroughly for so long. Coming out of that with some semblance of mental and physical sanity is proof of a fighter's nature. Doing so and still taking care of your dad the way you do? Probably not healthy for you, but admirable nonetheless and a sign you have a big heart.

I can't remember if I've asked you before but would sit-down or lie-down exercise be an option for you? Assuming you're talking about an inguinal hernia and not a herniated disc the main thing would be not to put pressure on it (coughing, pressing, holding your breath while lifting) but that leaves plenty of exercises. I'm a physical therapist, not a trainer, and I obviously can't give professional advice over the internet, but feel free to give me a shout if you need some ideas.

🫂 I'm so sorry the people who were supposed to build you up and support you failed you so thoroughly for so long. Coming out of that with some semblance of mental and physical sanity is proof of a fighter's nature. Doing so and still taking care of your dad the way you do? Probably not healthy for you, but admirable nonetheless and a sign you have a big heart.

I can't remember if I've asked you before but would sit-down or lie-down exercise be an option for you? Assuming you're talking about an inguinal hernia and not a herniated disc the main thing would be not to put pressure on it (coughing, pressing, holding your breath while lifting) but that leaves plenty of exercises. I'm a physical therapist, not a trainer, and I obviously can't give professional advice over the internet, but feel free to give me a shout if you need some ideas.

Thanks. Yeah, I am still taking care of my dad. That has mixed feelings in and of itself.

I could do sit-down or lie-down no problem. It would be an inguinal hernia. I'm just not sure what exercises I can do. I'm trying to watch what I do really closely these days. Walking seems okay. I try not to cough, but unfortunately with these stupid allergies, I cough a lot. I did look up a video actually on how to cough without causing a lot of pressure in that region even lol. As far as yard work, there's plenty of that. Mowing, Edging, and weed eating seem to be okay. They are mainly just walking exercises. I need to do limbs badly, but I don't know how it would work bending over and picking them up so much. I could try and bend over on my left side (the right side is the problem) and drag them out to the curb. it would take forever, but i could get some done. I have basically a week and a half before I can put limbs out again.

I think this whole thing started when I was in the backyard moving all of those heavy boards around. I noticed right after that. I haven't been in the backyard in about a month. I went out there today just to look around and my heart sank. It doesn't look like I've even touched the backyard now with all of the growth from spring in the last month. Ugh. Even if I sat in a chair, I'd still have to bend over to cut those shrubs and stuff close to the ground. I'm not sure. There's really no one else to do it. If there was money, we could hire someone, but that's not exactly in the cards at this point still.

Any ideas would be absolutely appreciated!

Even dragging heavy limbs on the healthy side would put a good bit of pressure on that hernia. Rolling them might work if they're reasonably round and you take regular breaks. At least new growth would be thinner/lighter, right?

I'll dm you about exercise.

Even dragging heavy limbs on the healthy side would put a good bit of pressure on that hernia. Rolling them might work if they're reasonably round and you take regular breaks. At least new growth would be thinner/lighter, right?

I'll dm you about exercise.

yeah the biggest majority of limbs that I would mess with are maybe 1-3 inch in diameter at the most. I won't mess with the big ones.

With that said, I really need to lose weight. It's hard, but now I'm pretty sure I have a hernia and that isn't going to go away. Losing weight would help everything all the way around. It would help my self image overall. I know that shouldn't really be the reason, but at least I'm working on some of the other issues. I need to find a light exercise routine that I can do to tone up, but not aggravate my groin.
Are you able to get a proper diagnosis of the possible hernia? Surgery might be an option.
What you eat or drink is much more important with weight loss than exercise, although exercise helps us feel better about ourselves in general I think. Walking is good. Could you walk somewhere where you can interact with other people? Is there a park nearby?
Very long winded....sorry....kind of emotional today
I think it's good to express ourselves & I am glad that you feel supported here & are comfortable with us. I think your father is very lucky that you care for him. It must be so tough. I hope things get better for you, Tom. You sound like a very good person.

Are you able to get a proper diagnosis of the possible hernia? Surgery might be an option.
What you eat or drink is much more important with weight loss than exercise, although exercise helps us feel better about ourselves in general I think. Walking is good. Could you walk somewhere where you can interact with other people? Is there a park nearby?

I think it's good to express ourselves & I am glad that you feel supported here & are comfortable with us. I think your father is very lucky that you care for him. It must be so tough. I hope things get better for you, Tom. You sound like a very good person.

Surgery is probably the only option, but I'd like to lose some weight in preparation. I know eating and drinking is more important than exercise, but I'm limited as to what I can eat. It's basically whatever my sister can afford and bring home. So my diet is more calorie restriction than anything else and I haven't been very good with that lately. I do however eat at home 95-97% of the time. I was thinking of exercise because of muscle loss. I don't know if you ever heard of "Fabio", well I'm Flabio so was looking to tone up some and always heard that adding muscle helps with weight loss and metabolism. Who knows?

Because I watch over my dad, I can't stay gone very long. So my walks are usually about 10 minutes a couple times a day while he is asleep. I walk from my mailbox down to another mailbox which is about 1/2 mile round trip up and down a small hill. Sometimes I do see people out, walking also. I talk to people occasionally. I am more of a loner so it doesn't bother me a lot. I have a lady friend who I worked with for over 20+ years. She is more of a mother figure to me than anything. We usually call each other every couple of weeks if we don't hear from each other. Then I have an older male friend up in Utah I talk to about as regular. It may not be the greatest situation, but it is okay.

Fabio the long-haired blond guy who was on all romance novels in the 1980s? I haven't got a clue what he actually did but that's my first association with the name :rotflmao:

Fabio the long-haired blond guy who was on all romance novels in the 1980s? I haven't got a clue what he actually did but that's my first association with the name :rotflmao:

Yeah him lol. I don't look like that.

Back