What I saw during my walk today

beach.jpg

Looking the other direction towards K'gari (Fraser Island) meaning paradise, in the language of the Butchulla people

oh it's not all sweetness and light.
a few minutes away from those flowers i passed a homeless man sleeping on the sidewalk.

what sort of trees are in that grove?
Washington D.C. cherry blossoms look to be headed for a late (mid-April) display this year by their avg temps so far.

IMG_3496a-reduced.jpgIMG_3505b-reduced.jpgIMG_3511a.jpg

Yellow-headed Snail Parasitic Blowfly - Amenia imperialis

Ameniinae females give birth large and well developed larvae (macrolarviparity). It is known that their larvae are parasites on land snails.

The Snail Parasitic Blowflies are from medium to large in size. They are nectar feeders and assist the flower plants for pollination.

Some photos are from a phone like the firing range butts others are taken with an actual camera like todays pics. I will likely be posting more actual camera pics during this semester as I have photography as a subject at uni. Week 1 tasks (next week) a self portrait and a study of texture.

i might also bring out a new camera in a few days to stretch its legs. i'm upgrading my nearly two decade old Nikon D5100 to a D7500. still the smaller DX format, but more than enough camera for me. buying the D7500, a 20M pixel camera, i thought about the first digital camera i bought (for work) in the mid-90's... a Kodak DC50... maximum resolution was just a bit over 640x480 and i think i remember you had to pause about 2-3 seconds between pictures so the memory could catch up... the D7500 can shoot continuously at 8 frames/ second. the price of that Kodak camera? ... about the same as i just paid for the D7500 body.

DC50 v. D7500.jpg

I use a Canon EOS 700D which is an entry level body that has been superseded but have invested in professional quality glass to go on that body and eventually onto a better body in the future. I don't mind going without some fancy features and I don't need to be taking continuous shots generally.

Next time I buy a camera body I will be looking for a full sensor rather than a crop sensor model.

I also shoot in RAW format to give me the most options for later editing.

On my to do list is to have a go at Tilt Shift photography but I need to find the right vantage point for initial shot before applying the tilt shift in post production.

the only time i like the continuous shutter is when wildlife is involved. my nephew is a birder and he has commented on some of my pictures as being great, but i have to admit, if we were back in the days of film cameras i probably wouldn't be taking 50 shots to get one remarkable image by sheer luck. i remember talking to a professional photographer when i had that first digital camera. we both agreed that it was more of a novelty. he could not imagine missing a picture because his camera wasn't fast enough. at that time the technology was changing so fast ... the main reason i waited another 15 years before i bought my first DSLR.

these days it seems like everyone is either a Canon or Nikon person.
i'll concede they're both fine cameras, but as you implied... once you invest in the "glass", it's hard to change camps.

a lot of what i do is model photography.
long exposures at small apertures on a tripod for a sharp depth of field.
i've been collecting old toy trains for years.

Joy Line.jpg

Last edited:
Back