Thoughts on men wearing spandex / lycra running tights

I wear black tights to the gym with a long, over-sized tshirt and I'm a dude. Can anyone tell me if they are uncomfortable looking at a dude dressed like me?

I wear black tights to the gym with a long, over-sized tshirt and I'm a dude. Can anyone tell me if they are uncomfortable looking at a dude dressed like me?

Hey I have no issue with a dude wearing spandex leggings/shorts or tops. I for one wear spandex bike shorts to spin classes and a sweat wicking top and I have had no comments or issues from other members about it.

I'm all for wearing spandex to the gym if it's designed for a purpose. For instance, compression wear is very popular at the moment. It gives good benefits during a workout and after workout for recovery. I see many men wearing compression leggings when running, biking or just even walking. They give excellent muscular benefits, reduce recovery time and provide a little bit of extra support for your next workout. But these items are designed to benefit your workout much like a BSL's tri suit when he wears it to the gym. Plus its comfortable to wear, and looks good.

If you can pull off the look, and are fit, why the hell not wear spandex? If people have a problem with, don't look! Pretty simple really.

I am yet to wear it anywhere other than to/from the gym and outdoors when running or brisk walking. I'm not yet comfortable to just go to a cafe wearing my gear, and even then when I do wear my compression leggings I wear a pair of shorts over the top or a longer shirt for modesty reasons.

No, not uncomfortable- its not what you wear in the gym, its how you act that defines how uncomfortable/if it raises eyebrows/sniggers etc.

There is one guy for example in my gym who is about 5 foot tall (could well be shorter). He has tiny legs (as in thin) yet decided at some point he would focus on his upper body which is about double the size- you know how you look at someone and think "pills, steroids and OTT with protein shakes", well this is your guy. Now this itself wouldn't make me think twice. Each to their own. but its the posing and the constant gum chewing that makes me stare- it just makes him look so goremless and silly! Its hard not to laugh. He wears micro short lycra shiny black shorts and a similarly tight tight tight verst top.
Or the girl who is stick thin yet is always in the gym/pool. She works in slow motion and always does the same things. Her posture is terrible- thats what makes me stare. On some machines (for example the side-step machine) she does this thing were her shoulders are seemingly stuck to her ears and swing from side to side- no effort put into it, just an odd swinging as it she were a bell. Very odd and never raises a sweat as she moves very very slowly but on levels which are obviously too hard for her to work on.

With each, its not what they wear, its how they act which draws attention to them. I could tell you what they wore but I'd had to really concerntrate to do that.

No, not uncomfortable- its not what you wear in the gym, its how you act that defines how uncomfortable/if it raises eyebrows/sniggers etc.

There is one guy for example in my gym who is about 5 foot tall (could well be shorter). He has tiny legs (as in thin) yet decided at some point he would focus on his upper body which is about double the size- you know how you look at someone and think "pills, steroids and OTT with protein shakes", well this is your guy. Now this itself wouldn't make me think twice. Each to their own. but its the posing and the constant gum chewing that makes me stare- it just makes him look so goremless and silly! Its hard not to laugh. He wears micro short lycra shiny black shorts and a similarly tight tight tight verst top.
Or the girl who is stick thin yet is always in the gym/pool. She works in slow motion and always does the same things. Her posture is terrible- thats what makes me stare. On some machines (for example the side-step machine) she does this thing were her shoulders are seemingly stuck to her ears and swing from side to side- no effort put into it, just an odd swinging as it she were a bell. Very odd and never raises a sweat as she moves very very slowly but on levels which are obviously too hard for her to work on.

With each, its not what they wear, its how they act which draws attention to them. I could tell you what they wore but I'd had to really concerntrate to do that.

You know what I tend to agree with you there. I find that if someone was parading around and acting weird, you would take more notice of that person, what they were doing and what they were wearing more than any other person who was more discreet, acted normally and just did their thing and moved on.

Personally for me, I leave my spin class in my spandex bike shorts, sweat shirt and hooded jumper, and because the regulars know me there and know I spin regularly, there is little to no bizarre looks or even a blink of an eye. No I don't prance around or do anything to attract attention, I'm much more discreet than that. I don't like unwanted attention that's not really warranted.

But it gives me enough confidence to know I can walk around in my spandex and not feel like Im being unjustly judged or criticized for what I wear. Hell, if the girls in my spin class feel comfortable and can get away with wearing lycra then why can't I?

LOL....it's been, like, forever since I bothered with this forum....but the Blue Oval beckons. Dude, missed ya on 'that other' forum...how have you been?

Summer123 makes an excellent point, behavior is more the dictator of how people percedive & respond to you. If you walk in and go about your business in an amicable fashion, more then likely you'll go unnoticed. About the only caveat is if you sorely stand-out by wearing something very loud or grossly inappropriate. A guy in a metallic pink unitard....not good. A guy wearing tights with a long shirt, no biggy....at least not here in the Los Angeles area. Go to Kentucky or Texas and you may be dragged outside and lynched.

In today's fitness age, men are wearing spandex more and more often. It's entirely common and almost requisite in cycling. It's definitely for any serious runner and certainly most regular swimmers now wear jammers. The basic rule is: balls are not boobs, don't use spandex to be a genital exhibitionist, ain't nobody wanna see 'em!

To that end:

Wear dark colors, especialy black...it hides details
Wear stuff that has a liner, pad or some kind of reinforcement around the crotch
Wear a shirt that is long enough to cover part or most the crotch

Women can incorporate it into daily routine as casual wear...men can't. Wear your 'gear' on the way to or from the gym, in the gym, while cycling, swimming or running...and maybe a few quick errands on the way home or to the gym. People can read you, if you act like everything is fine, you'll be fine. If you act as if you were naked, they'll smell it too.

If you get weird looks, something probably isn't right. Some women may admire, some may pretend not to like it, but they do. Some genuinely don't like it....but on the whole women are not as pig-visual as men and they strongly contend "wear what's comfortable and don't care what others think".

If you're fat and out of shape, you may not 'pull it off'...if you're in good shape, nobody should think twice.

When you think 98% of people are looking at you, chances are less then 2% are. Do YOU notice other people much? In spin class you think people are noticing if you crank another turn on the dial or not...but in reality, have you ever cared to notice what other people do? Not really...and the favor is returned: we are not the specticles we think we are.

Life is short....spandex is comfortable, functional and has performance benefits...and if it inspires you to work harder, lose weight or in any way improve yourself so that you feel more confident or look better in it...then more power to ya!

My thoughts are, if you've got it, flaunt it. Some men work really hard to keep their bodies in shape. I don't always wear lycra shorts but i like spending alot of time at the beach. Go with what you've got.

And in addition: do you really care about what the fashion obsessed crew really think? True fashionistas believe everyone should dress they way they feel, express themselves in whatever way they want via their clothes and for what its worth, the more unique the better- it shows you have originality. Wear anything with confidence and a 'don't care what you think' attitude and you will always pull it off.

Don't worry about what the think-themselves-fashion-police people think, their views have been dictated to them from magazines and other people telling them whats right, not their own honest opinions.

And I say this as an ex-fashion/textiles student!

And in addition: do you really care about what the fashion obsessed crew really think? True fashionistas believe everyone should dress they way they feel, express themselves in whatever way they want via their clothes and for what its worth, the more unique the better- it shows you have originality. Wear anything with confidence and a 'don't care what you think' attitude and you will always pull it off.

Don't worry about what the think-themselves-fashion-police people think, their views have been dictated to them from magazines and other people telling them whats right, not their own honest opinions.

And I say this as an ex-fashion/textiles student!

here here. Well said

I'm super fit 5'8" 155 lbs 8% body fat and an excellent build and definitely not gay. I do a lot of cardio to warm up before my workouts at the gym, I wear spandex clothing for performance reasons only, both the tops and the bottoms. I wear UA compression gear and 2XU compression clothing as it works to wick moisture, reduce lactic acid, and dry quickly as my cardio warm up leaves me soaking and I need to dry quickly for the remainder of my workout. I'm not there to impress anyone or to have social hour. I always keep to myself and work out early in the morning, but on a few occasions I have gone in after 9am. The gym Manager at 24hr Fitness has told me that he received complaints that my attire was inappropriate for the gym and needed to be covered up in order for me to use the gym. He referred to me as the tights guy. I guess he was trying to humiliate me, but I could care less what other people think. I told him that loose clothing gets to wet, and is to much of a burden for my workouts, but he insisted I can't use the gym in spandex shorts or tights. Granted I could understand concern if they were see through or revealed my genitalia, but they don't. I only wear black and I only wear clothing specifically designed for workouts. If the people in the gym have nothing better to do than complain about other members attire then they are the one's with the issue right? Should I be isolated out because I want to wear clothing that provides me with the optimum comfort and performance for my workouts? Is it sexual discrimination if women are allowed to wear spandex, and men are not? Can the gym ban me from wearing what I want to work out in?

zero - If your gym has a dress code that you were privy to but never read, you will need to adhere to that code and the gym has every right to refuse your membership.

I also wear 2XU, skins, and Performax compression leggings to my gym but never on their own and always UNDER some regular shorts for modesty reasons. I know I could get away with the tights on their own, but choose to apply some discretion so I personally do not offend others which I could do. It's easy to say, no one should look and mind their own business, but come on lets be real here. People are gonna look, and some will get offended ESPECIALLY if you are showing outline of your member. Yes women can get away with it and so they should, but us guys need to be a little more thoughtful in the matter and look at ways to reduce the 'shock' for some out there.

I suggest you seriously consider wearing a longer t-shirt over the tights, long enough to cover your front and back at a MINIMUM. Better yet, wear some running shorts over the top of the tights. They should still provide free movement, not heat you up, but offer coverage to the groin and butt.

I am never going to suggest NOT wearing the lycra as I wear it often at the gym and with pride, but I always try to use some discernment on the matter and not give anyone reason to complain. If you can do this, it helps other guys like myself become a bit more accepted publicly rather than condemned as some sort of pervert or freak.

Otherwise, change gyms.

Last edited:
The gym has a dress code, and waltzing around with your shrunk-wrapped genitals on display is just not part of the program. Balls are not boobs; ain't nobody wants to see 'em, except gay men and a fractionally tiny amount of horny women (they so horny, they look you long time)

I realize your workout is incredibly demanding & intense and wearing skin-tight spandex is an absolute must, dare you suggest a neccesity, but you need a serious reality check. You need a longer shirt that isn't so tight and you need some shorts of pants that have some semblance of a liner or pad. The 2XU tights have no liner; you got your junk pressed against a fractionally thick layer of material.

Let me summarize, you're a genital exhibitionist and you're trying to justify it as being a legititmiate need. Newsflash, there have been plenty of huge body builders and athletes who all got it done without needing to wear body spandex. Peddle your freakshow elsewhere and stop oppressing people at your gym, Mack

Well said Steve.

This is a delicate subject and while zero has some merit to his story, he must not forget that wearing spandex tastefully, not ruthlessly without thought or care is the prime outcome. No one here is saying stop him wearing lycra, by all means do so but in the spirit of good taste and respect for others, but if the root of his motivation is based on purely being an exhibitionist while claiming it under the flimsy excuse of 'workout attire and comfort', then be prepared for completely negative feedback as well as condemnation from gym owners/users.

I have worn 2XU stuff many times to the gym, under shorts or with a looser t-shirt over the top covering the front and back just enough and never have I been pulled up, warned, condemned or harassed by any member of my gym.

People can spot weirdo's a mile away. I'm not saying zero is one. But if he has been pulled up for inappropriate attire by the gym owner, its got nothing to do with the gym owner trying to humiliate him, but rather that zero has been spotted/caught/noticed in attire that's been worn in a fashion that offends.

We must remember, it's got nothing to do with lycra/spandex itself, this is not to blame. It's the intent and nature of how it is worn by individuals that gives people cause for complaint.

If zero cannot accept the gym owner's request to 'cover up' just a bit, then I would recommend again for him to change gyms or workout at home where he can be most comfortable without the judgment of others.

I am all for dudes feeling most comfortable in what ever they wear, but on the other hand I'd like to see some people think about their decisions before leaving their front door. Some sacrifices need to be made by all in order for us all to get along.

Last edited:
I'm super fit 5'8" 155 lbs 8% body fat and an excellent build and definitely not gay. I do a lot of cardio to warm up before my workouts at the gym, I wear spandex clothing for performance reasons only, both the tops and the bottoms. I wear UA compression gear and 2XU compression clothing as it works to wick moisture, reduce lactic acid, and dry quickly as my cardio warm up leaves me soaking and I need to dry quickly for the remainder of my workout. I'm not there to impress anyone or to have social hour. I always keep to myself and work out early in the morning, but on a few occasions I have gone in after 9am. The gym Manager at 24hr Fitness has told me that he received complaints that my attire was inappropriate for the gym and needed to be covered up in order for me to use the gym. He referred to me as the tights guy. I guess he was trying to humiliate me, but I could care less what other people think. I told him that loose clothing gets to wet, and is to much of a burden for my workouts, but he insisted I can't use the gym in spandex shorts or tights. Granted I could understand concern if they were see through or revealed my genitalia, but they don't. I only wear black and I only wear clothing specifically designed for workouts. If the people in the gym have nothing better to do than complain about other members attire then they are the one's with the issue right? Should I be isolated out because I want to wear clothing that provides me with the optimum comfort and performance for my workouts? Is it sexual discrimination if women are allowed to wear spandex, and men are not? Can the gym ban me from wearing what I want to work out in?

I'm in similar attire as you at my gym and haven't had anyone come out and tell me to wear something else. Although i had problems from female milfs in the past complaining and making there views vocal for me to hear them, or try to bait me in a discussion with group of them. Any complaints manager at my gym (female) had about me was shot down and laughed at. The reasoning would be to ban everyone wearing spandex and that wouldn't be prudent as seeing many women wearing them as well, then gym would be empty or lose customers to competitor gym's.

Problem your having might be milfs usually come in at that hour after driving there kids to school. I usually don't encounter it, avoiding there gym hours because they tend to stare more and it's a lot busier with them. Try to avoid crowd of milfs who don't know how to workout and have prudish opinions on how someone should look making me feel awkward. Only some milf's do ones with plump bottoms in spandex short shorts with body that doesn't quit, uhh... One by one glance at me once there spinning class ends smiling looking in the mirror comparing themselves to me smirking and giggling to one another all soaked and completely wet. So Hot... and can be very emasculating at the same time... That's why i avoid MILF time at gym rush hour.

When i recently went in gym wearing capri tights and compression top had women look me over who never seen me before and make some commentary to other female friends. Shocking for most milfs seeing a guy like me dress in that manner. When i walk by spinning class in session most milfs see me through the glass windows almost all of them turn there heads not believing what i'm wearing.

Is there anything particularly wrong what i wear or what you described you wear? Unless your wearing compression tights meant to be underwear rather then running tights or leggings? Some guys may wear tight, short swimsuit, square cut briefs thinking it's appropriate attire for workout at the gym. Which then causes problems for yourself with other members. Women can get away clothed this way only because athletic clothes were designed in that way not men's shorts.

As for your man bits showing in pieces like as step ladder maybe that's why complaints are issued. When i wear my tights i have a bulge but no sort of outline of any sort showing how long it is or any details just one round bulge as it should be.

It all depends on someone who has conservative values or finds showing your body off as obscene, or vulgar. Most people don't want to see your shape because they find it not in there taste of what they look for in a man. Sometimes women have prejudice of type of men that look attractive, tall, bulkier etc.. If you don't conform to these specific groups your an eyesore and women dread looking at you.

Another thing is women tend to look at you as your dressed like a girl. This makes them uncomfortable seeing how lean you are and they are troubled at there comparable physique in general not to mention there smirks.
Just like a very fit model comes to wear tight fitness clothes, milf's will call her as disrespectful to others not hiding her perfect body showing off not attractive quality people like, humility is attractive quality for stranger to see.
In most part women will be inspired by the fit women and target themselves to look the same. While women look at skinny guy in tights and feel it's not appropriate make them think why are you wearing clothes that tight. We all know women wear clothes for fashion trends and appearances rather then dynamic comfort stability and technology of fabrics.

This has been posted over year ago like to know what the effect you had with gym manager did he ban you at the gym or did you leave for another one? How conservative place was this town your gym was in?

In my opinion don't think your in the wrong and in time you evolve your clothes at which you wear. This giving you a look maybe more pleasing or less shocking for people to feel relaxed around you.
We all know the type of people at the gym give you problems wearing what you do, they are very conservative in thinking and clothing probably never seen anyone like you or me attired in that way.
Best advice is to keep at your workouts and forget it and keep wearing it. We all know women don't particularly like things guys wear skinny jeans etc.. You don't need to make anyone happy except yourself and that's only thing that matters once you leave the gym to go home. If women can or use to wear it so can you. Who are the people judging you are they so brilliant.

C'mon folks...time to get real here!

Hey look, I'm a cyclist and no, I say the following just because this sort of nonsense from parochial-minded people always seems to make its way into the conversation, I'm NOT gay (in today's world everyone admits to being gay if they are - it's "trendy") and yes, I love women and no, I don't consider myself to be a "fetishist" for lycra. Total crap said by many pre-cambrians out there. Ok, with the boilerplate out of the way let me address this: They make this stuff (lycra tights) for a good reason. Support, heat transfer, yes, appearance, and compression. For my knees, support and compression is crucial. I even wear tights when mountain biking for protection against ticks! I suppose you nay-sayers (particularly the ultra conservative guy-hating women didn't consider that!). But to each his own - you all can wear whatever the hell you want when working out, I neither care nor do I make disparaging statements about what I consider to be odd-looking "swishy" track suits on runners. That is their choice! I choose to wear serious lycra wear such as CW-x, Pearl Izumi, 2XU etc., for its functionality and yeah, maybe I do like the way it looks - that's my perogative, no one else's. SO I say to you out there so concerned about what women think of you wearing tights while running or biking (or even the redneck guys): do what's right for you. Hey, I have to look at a lot of overweight women and men in the gym, or some sweaty hirsuit guy in a tank top, but I just don't care! My two cents...DAMN!

most women do NOT like men in lycra. Even if there is a bulge, it is not attractive. Unless you are IN a marathon or are running a triathalon at that moment, change into regular shorts once you enter the gym. Just a womans opinion.

Don't you hate it when people speak for you ... actually Karena I LIKE men in lycra. It's a turn on.
Speak for yourself in future.

Well I'm a women and I enjoy seeing men in Lycra. Men should be able to wear comfortable supportive lycra workout gear without being subject to these ridiculous sexist claims! MAMILS (middle aged men in Lycra) are always a welcome sight regardless of paunch. At least they're out there getting some exercise. Speaking of which 'exercise' some tolerance people!

Hi to all. Greetings from Malaysia, :) . I'm a guy who's been doing some jogging for a few months now,and while the ol' combo of briefs and regular shorts works OK(on shorter jogs),I'm hoping to get something which is cooler,lighter and more importantly,reduces chafing. Yes,I have big thighs,so you know how it's prone to chafing during jogging. Therefore I'm planning to get myself a pair of compression shorts. I have a somewhat limited choice buying from the stores here:usually Nike and Adidas from what I've seen.

I'd like to ask anyone here who has experience using the Nike Pro Combat 6" compression shorts. Not any of those fancy ones,just the regular type which should cost approx. US$25?
I'd like to use them for my jogs,as they seem light,cool and comfortable. Could any of you share your thoughts/opinions on them regarding:

1) Comfort : Chafing-prevention is very important to me.How does the Nike score in this? And does the elastic waistband keep in place without dropping down? I hope I don't have to keep pulling up the shorts every furlong or so..., :) . I think I'll have to get the XL size as I have a 41" waist!(Ahhh!) Also,I see that the Nike shorts has a wide front panel for our male 'package' and Nike advertises that this design is better for the male anatomy compared to the center seam design as it tends to 'cut into/divide' the male package. What are your views on this?

2)Durability : How well are these made? Hopefully there won't be holes at the seams or thinning of the fabric after a few times of use and wash. Seems that the Nike shorts here in Malaysia are made in China.

3)Discretion/Modesty : Seems that these Nike c.shorts are single-layer material(polyester/spandex) built,with NO liners/padding inside. I won't be wearing anything under/over the c.shorts during my jogs. Please,before anyone shout out 'Pervert!',I jog ALONE in a private area/compound in the late afternoons.It's NOT a gym or a public park. Just a place I can jog peacefully at my own pace with no one looking or cutting into my path or stepping on dog poo...., :) . Then again,of course I'll be wearing a T-shirt long enough to cover my groin area. I think if I wear like that to jog in a public park,people WILL look and probably say,"Look at that fat guy in tights!" So,I won't be doing that,thank you very much. :) Lastly,I'll take the black colour shorts,but I might consider the carbon-grey one.

Well,I guess that's about it for now. Please do feel free to comment as a LOT of you have experience in wearing compression clothing for workouts. Thank you all for sharing. All the best and GOD bless.

Hi to all. Greetings from Malaysia, :) . I'm a guy who's been doing some jogging for a few months now,and while the ol' combo of briefs and regular shorts works OK(on shorter jogs),I'm hoping to get something which is cooler,lighter and more importantly,reduces chafing. Yes,I have big thighs,so you know how it's prone to chafing during jogging. Therefore I'm planning to get myself a pair of compression shorts. I have a somewhat limited choice buying from the stores here:usually Nike and Adidas from what I've seen.

I'd like to ask anyone here who has experience using the Nike Pro Combat 6" compression shorts. Not any of those fancy ones,just the regular type which should cost approx. US$25?
I'd like to use them for my jogs,as they seem light,cool and comfortable. Could any of you share your thoughts/opinions on them regarding:

1) Comfort : Chafing-prevention is very important to me.How does the Nike score in this? And does the elastic waistband keep in place without dropping down? I hope I don't have to keep pulling up the shorts every furlong or so..., :) . I think I'll have to get the XL size as I have a 41" waist!(Ahhh!) Also,I see that the Nike shorts has a wide front panel for our male 'package' and Nike advertises that this design is better for the male anatomy compared to the center seam design as it tends to 'cut into/divide' the male package. What are your views on this?

2)Durability : How well are these made? Hopefully there won't be holes at the seams or thinning of the fabric after a few times of use and wash. Seems that the Nike shorts here in Malaysia are made in China.

3)Discretion/Modesty : Seems that these Nike c.shorts are single-layer material(polyester/spandex) built,with NO liners/padding inside. I won't be wearing anything under/over the c.shorts during my jogs. Please,before anyone shout out 'Pervert!',I jog ALONE in a private area/compound in the late afternoons.It's NOT a gym or a public park. Just a place I can jog peacefully at my own pace with no one looking or cutting into my path or stepping on dog poo...., :) . Then again,of course I'll be wearing a T-shirt long enough to cover my groin area. I think if I wear like that to jog in a public park,people WILL look and probably say,"Look at that fat guy in tights!" So,I won't be doing that,thank you very much. :) Lastly,I'll take the black colour shorts,but I might consider the carbon-grey one.

Well,I guess that's about it for now. Please do feel free to comment as a LOT of you have experience in wearing compression clothing for workouts. Thank you all for sharing. All the best and GOD bless.

haha, lots of opinions here.
I wear tights all the time to the gym. I can wear some sort of jock strap if I need to conceal the details of my package. I have all sorts of athletic tights, but my preferred is a dancers ballet type unitard. Worn usually with a tank top just so I don't look like body-suit man. Yes, I may look good, but I don't care if some other guy dosent want to see a guy that looks hot. I could workout in baggy cotton clothes like the regular guy, but I prefer the lycra. I like to see my body and muscles in the mirror when I lift, and I like to be comfortable when working out. I'm a self-proclaimed perfect slim body,but admit that spandex is not for a guy with "work left to do". You just have to be perfect to even consider spandex like this. Spandex will enhance your body, not make up for something lacking. You don't want to enhance a mess. If you have a mess, then you have to wear the spandex under something that covers your lesser qualities like fat, lack of muscle, flab, odd shapes etc.
I'm a boy. Yes I have a bulge. It's there. I don't free-ball, so you can't see it, just a regular ballet dancer looking smooth covering under the fabric. Wow, how is this such a big deal?

Back