Weight-Loss Team Ovation!

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.
I weighed myself at 135 this morning, after breakfast, after workout - so I might have lost a bit more than that even.

I DID make it to the gym this morning... and it was actually really nice and a great way to start my day, so hopefully I can keep this up.

I had a few more calories than I wanted to at lunch... I was planning on just eating the soup I brought and having water, but somehow thought I wouldn't be full enough, so bought the chips, and got juice instead... adding about 370 cals to my little meal... and I feel full... very full in fact, so I wish I would have just gotten some water and not drank the whole bottle of juice.

whew girls... we had better get this thing going more! we are losing the cheerleader prize!!! I haven't heard from many of you very often... where are you at? how is it going? can we help motivate you?! =)

ugh! I just gave in to a late afternoon craving for caffeine and had a soy latte... it is SO hard to keep my calorie intake where I want it...

Hey just checking in to see how everyone is doing before I go cook supper for the Family check back in , in a few

Has anyone ever heard of the Stillmans diet My sil says it really works if any one is interested in trying itlet me know and i will post iton here

Great job at making it to the gym amomono!

Sugarfoot- I'd like to know more

I ate 30.5 points today. I'm allowed 30 and I earned an extra point walking

good job sara!!! I miraculously did okay with my calories too - mostly becaue I had a really small dinner... but I wasn't really hungry for more than that anywyas...

so far I have lost 2.5 lbs...! we'll see if it will stay there or if I can lose some more!!!

good luck today ladies =)

hello? anyone there? hehehe... j/k!

sugarfoot - I haven't heard of the stilman's diet.. let us know what it is if you do find out! I know for myself, what has worked best is simply watching the calories I eat and what kind of calories they are - I love food too much and I like to be creative when cooking that really strict diets would KILL me! =) I like to be able to make crazy stuff up for dinner =)

Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet Summary
This is a summary for The Quick Weight Loss Diet, commonly known as the Stillman Diet. He also published other diets as well, but the Quick Weight Loss Diet or QWL diet, for short, will be discussed in this summary, in addition to the Stay-Slim diet, which is also covered in his book.

The Stillman QWL-Diet was originally published in August 1968,according to the paperback copy that I have. Conflicting reports off of the web state that it was published in 1961, by Irwin Maxwell Stillman, M.D. and Samm Sinclair Baker, (who later co-wrote the Complete Diet' with Herman Tarnower and, barely credited, Jean Harris). The book not only includes the QWL diet, and Stay Slim eating, but also has over 60 additional diets for those who want a little variety. There are diets according to particular health problems, one-food diets, craver’s diet, just to name a few. Stillman was a strict carnivore, allowing his patients to eat only lean meat, poultry, eggs, and low-fat cheeses. His theory was that the protein molecule is so big and complex that it takes the body more energy to digest it.

3, Basic Philosophy/Strategy: It was one of the first low carb diets and was very popular in its time. Even now, it is known as quick way to shed extra weight. The plan is very Low (practically nonexistent) Carbohydrate and also low fat diet, with food choices being as lean as possible, and no fats or oils to be used in preparation of meals. The main emphasis is on eating protein to lose weight.

There are 2 phases to this diet: First, the QWL-diet, which can be compared to the Induction phase of Atkins, however as I will show, is different in composition than Atkins. The second phase of the diet, is what Stillman refers to as stay-slim eating. This can be compared to the Maintenance phase of Atkins, though again with different foods.

The following are what is allowed on this diet:
NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

Eat all you wish of the following foods to satisfy hunger.
If you eat until you've satisfied your hunger but haven't stuffed
yourself, and then feel hungry before the next meal, you can eat
again, but only from the foods listed here. In fact, you're better
off eating smaller meals 6 times a day than 3 bigger meals as is
the general custom. But you limit yourself to this extensive list
of high protein foods.

1. Lean meats: with all possible fat trimmed off and have it broiled, boiled, baked or smoked. No fats, butter, oil, margarine or other fats or greases in preparation of it.

2. Chicken or Turkey: With all skin removed, Broiled, roasted or baked and same rule as above in regards to preparation.

3. All Lean Fish, such as haddock, cod, flounder, perch.SEAFOOD:shrimps,scallops,lobsters,oysters,clams,crabs,again broiled, baked or boiled... same rules apply to preparation of meats. CANNED TUNA MAY BE EATEN, BUT ONLY IF WATER PACKED.

4. EGGS: Hard-boiled preferably, but you can eat them anyway you prefer, just prepared the same as meats, that is, without any oils.

5. Cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese, pot cheese and other cheeses made with skim milk in moderation, and not made with whole milk.

6.At LEAST 8 glasses of water per day, ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL to this diet (10 oz. glasses). You are also allowed, coffee, tea, and any non-caloric beverages on this diet....IN ADDITION to the water requirements.

7. BROTH, CHICKEN CONSOMME, BEEF BOULLION: Check labels for low calories, and to make sure no fats are used in preparation.

8. LOW CALORIE ARTIFICIALLY SWEETENED GELATIN: May use ONLY if limited to 1-2 average servings per day. No toppings allowed,

9. HERBS AND SPICES: OK if used in moderation.

10. CATSUP, COCKTAIL SAUCES: Use in moderation IF they contain no fat! NO MAYONNAISE, SALAD DRESSINGS, NO OILS OR FATS, NOT EVEN "LIGHT" SALAD DRESSINGS

11. VITAMIN-MINERAL TABLET DAILY.

The eight (10 ounce) glasses of water daily are in addition to
whatever coffee, tea and non-caloric carbonated beverages you
drink. This is an integral part of the specific internal process put
into motion by the Quick Weight Loss Diet. Much more of your
body fat is burned up than with most other diets. This leaves in
its wake the waste products or ashes of burnt fat. [ketone bodies]
They must all be washed out of your system by water which also
serves to relieve any unpleasant dryness and taste in the mouth.

Note: ketone bodies are not ashes; they are the by-product
of incomplete burning of fats. Ketones are to fat as charcoal is to
wood. Ketones can be burned for fuel by your body. Most people
have feedback loops to protect against ketosis-acidosis.

You may use common seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic,
cloves, thyme, other herbs and spices, cocktail sauce, Tabasco
sauce, horseradish, ketchup. Don't use any creamy or oily sauces
or dressings. No mayonnaise, no salad dressings, no oils, no fats.

NOTHING ELSE IS PERMITTED ON THIS DIET--NOTHING! IF IT'S NOT
MENTIONED IN THE PROCEEDING LIST, DON'T EAT OR DRINK IT.

If you disregard the instructions and eat regular carbohydrates
or sugar or alcohol, you will stop burning up stored fat as
efficiently. Even one indiscretion, one mouthful of ice cream, for
example, will set you back a day or two.

You will lose the most weight on The Quick Loss Diet, most quickly,
if you eat only to satisfy your hunger pangs rather than to gratify
a desire to eat just for the pleasure of eating.

This diet has practically no residue (fiber). Therefore it is likely
that you may not have a bowel movement for a few days, although
not necessarily so. In any case don't be alarmed by any such lack.
[Note: extra vitamin C or milk of magnesia is helpful in some cases]

NO FOODS (NOT PERMITTED)
NO ALCOHOL
NO RICH DESSERTS
NO SOFT DRINKS CONTAINING SUGAR
NO DAIRY PRODUCTS PERMITTED OTHER THAN THE CHHESES LISTED, AND EGGS.
NO SUGAR
NO CEREALS OR PASTA PRODUCTS
NO VEGETABLES OR FRUITS OF ANY KIND
NO NON-PROTEIN FILLERS
BASICALLY IF IT IS NOT ON THE LIST OF ALLOWED FOODS FOR THE QWL-PLAN, IT IS NOT ALLOWED!

6. Typical menu: Stillman advises eating 6 meals a day as opposed to 3, for faster weight loss.
QUICK WEIGHT LOSS DIET SAMPLE MENU STAY-SLIM EATING PLAN
Breakfast: 2 eggs 1 c. Orange juice
2 oz. Skim milk cheese black coffee or tea
black coffee or tea

Mid-morning: 1 HB egg 1 slice toast w/ 1 T. jam
Snack ½ c. cottage cheese black coffee or tea or
black coffee or tea or non-caloric beverage
non-caloric beverage

DINNER: 4 oz. Lean hamburger Hamburger
1-2 oz. Skim milk cheese or 4 asparagus spears
½ c. cottage cheese ½ grapefruit
choice of non-caloric beverage choice of non-caloric beverage

P.M. Snack low-cal. Sugar-free gelatin 1 slice toast
Choice of non-caloric beverage 1. oz. Cottage cheese
(NO TOPPINGS ALLOWED) Choice of non-caloric beverage

SUPPER: serving of bouillon soup 6 shrimps w/cocktail sauce
4-6 oz. Roasted chicken 2 lamb chops
2 oz. Skim milk cheese baked potato
Choice of non-caloric beverage spinach
Lemon meringue pie
Choice of non-caloric beverage

BEFORE low.cal.sugar-free gelatin 1 glass of skim milk
BED SNACK Choice of non-caloric beverage 2 graham crackers

Note: This is just a sample menu. There are no restrictions on the amount of lean meats, skim milk cheeses, and cottage cheese on the QWL diet. The only restriction is on the low-calorie sugar-free gelatin,1-2 average portions per day, with nothing added.

The rules for the Stay-Slim diet are to gradually increase carbohydrates and fat portions, and watch for a 3 lb. Increase on the scale. If you see that, then go back to the QWL diet to take it off.

The emphasis on The Stillman Quick Weight Loss Diet is predominantly protein, with no carbohydrates, and no added fat, choosing lean meats, and no oils used in preparation thereof. The cheeses allowed are of the skim milk variety. He also advocates exercise as a means to quicken weight loss, and sufficient sleep for the body to rest.

The QWL diet does not offer any deterring from the ALLOWED FOODS list. Any deviation from this list is seen as a definite No-no, and to be avoided at all costs. He says that weight loss can be stalled by such deviations. The book themselves,

Dr. Stillman practiced medicine for over 50 years with the following accreditations: consultant in Internal Medicine at Coney Island hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., was attending physician in Medicine at Coney Island hospital, an attending physician in Medicine at Harbor hospital, a clinical instructor of Medicine at Long Island College Hospital, a Fellow of the American College of Angiology and a Fellow of the American Geriatric Society. It is irony that Stillman died of a heart attack in 1975 - after some 20 million people had been on his diet. (Even armed with this bit of information, I would not be one to contribute his heart attack to his diet.)
A main difference between this diet, and Atkins is food preparation, no oils or fats are to be used AT ALL, and lean meats are allowed, not fatty ones, in fact they are highly discouraged. You can have no-cal. sodas on this, although I think I would heed Dr. Atkins advice about aspartame re: this. NO VEGGIES WHATSOEVER, NO EVEN LETTUCE!
I done this diet when I was younger, and lost 26lbs. in 4 weeks, and I followed it to the *T*, and that was even the original one that did not allow the gelatin and the soup! It does work, BUT a person has to be willing to stick to it strictly. Falling off of it, will greatly slow down the fatburning process. If someone doesn’t mind the restrictions, in my opinion, this is a diet that will bring about a quick reduction.

Sorry for the long letter , I have not tried this diet but my SIL has and she does it for 3 days at a time then eats her regular diet She says it works . I dont know if I will try it or not But if one of you does let me know if it really does work

Tammy Lynn

I am always wary of ANYTHING that says you can't eat fruits and vegetables... but that's just me - I think our bodies need those nutrients to stay healthy.

I'm also not a fan of "quick loss" diets - you are stripping your body of those nutrients and that is why so many people gain again once they stop with the diet.

Like I said above, I favor a "diet" that is really a lifestyle change, where you decide to eat better overall and consume less calories. I know my major problem in the past has simply been portion sizes at meals and overconsuming (but we get so used to it we can't tell). It will probably take you longer, but losing slowly is healthier, your body responds better (less excess skin from rapid loss), and it is easier to maintain once you get to your goal...

bailey? where are you at hon?! we miss you!!!

Just a little motivation for you all, who feel like you have a MOUNTAIN to climb in this weight-loss battle...

"Energy and persistence conquer all things."
-Benjamin Franklin-

We CAN do this!!!!

Here I am !!!:rolleyes:

I must say I havent been on as much these last few days. I am still on course with my eating and drinking and exercise but i am starting to add low impact aerobics which makes me realize just how out of shape i have become.

You know its bad when your body feels like lead 3/4 the way thru and you just cant pick up your feet. Fortunately I have a few others to fall back one. Guess I will revert to the 20min time saver cardio workout by Kathy Smith which I know I can get thru no problem.

Amomono, how have the gym workouts been going? What are you doing at the gym. If we were in the same town I would go with you :)

Hi Sugarfoot, I know I could never succeed on the Stillmans diet. Are you considering trying it? It is recommended to eat 1200 -1500 cal a day for women with 2 from meat group, 2 from milk group, 4 from Fruits and Veg group and 4 from bread and grains group.

Hi Cprice 2 and Sara06 sorry for not being on here more. I hope you're staying enthused and rallied up for this challenge.

We can do it.... Rah Rah Rah

No I dont think I will try it I am like Amomono I like my veggies and fruit I just thought someone might be interested in it I do see that my sil loses about 5 lbs but she does gain some of it back when she stops it I would rather stick with smaller portions of what I like and earn the weight loss the hard way that way I know I did it myself and will be able to keep it off more better that way

I ususally run/walk on the treadmill and then lift weights at the gym... I love it, and I did get my butt out of bed to go this morning - although I was a little late, and so I had to cut it short a bit...

good luck everyone!!! =)

I also weighed in this morning, and it says that I put on 1.5 lbs since yesterday morning... bleh... I hate weight fluxuations... I wish there was some way to regulate that...

Really sucks that I put on 3.6lbs. I've lost 2.4lbs of it. Unfortunatly I have to go up to Canada tomorrow and wont be back til very late Tues. night. Feel like I'm really letting you girls down. Hopefully I can lose while I'm gone. My DD needs her 2 month needle so I'm making the trip and going to visit for a few days. Good luck everyone.

Hi all...

I am doing ok.... Still showing a loss but I only weigh myself in the morning when I first get up .... I did some aerobics day before yesterday that had some knee dips and squats and boy , i felt it yesterday and still some today.
Oh well, I am a glutton for punishment. I just have to work it out tonight.
Will see if I can do my 20min Kathy Smith timesaver cardio and tread mill.

Not much more going on. There is another wrestling tournament this Sat. My elder son 8th grade is wrestling 119 lbs. Hope he does well.... :)

My hubby has had a migrane for the past 3 days with yesterday being the worst. He says it is better today but for all I know he could be just telling me that. He never complains about pain. His threshold for pain is very high and he still goes to work. Remarkable. I could never do that. My health is excellent and when I get sick which fortunately is rare, I cant handle it...

Sara06 - dont worry about letting us down. We know this is a battle and its not easy. The important thing is that you dont give up and keep plugging away. Your body is just trying to adjust

hey guys. Yeah I have been pretty busy too like Bailey but have managed to keep going to the gym and running. I have been eating healthy too with salads and a turkey sandwich without mayo for lunch. Keep up the hard work guys! We can win this thing.

Cprice2 said:
hey guys. Yeah I have been pretty busy too like Bailey but have managed to keep going to the gym and running. I have been eating healthy too with salads and a turkey sandwich without mayo for lunch. Keep up the hard work guys! We can win this thing.

Mayo is hard to give up !!!! Havent found a light mayo that I really like so I decided it would be mustard or honey mustard or none at all....

I see you went cold turkey (lol) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back