🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Tested out the new camp stove with my metho burner yesterday, timed it boiling a pot of water from cold, it took 5 minutes so not bad for a tiny little spirit burner (Trangia). My whole cooking setup weights less than 1 kg. Base Pack weight is sitting at around 7-8 kg with food but not water (an additional 4 kg, 2 litres per person). Little miss can carry her own sleeping bag and mat but they are light enough that adding them to my pack won't make a much of difference. Son 3 will borrow my small pack for his tent, sleeping bag and mat, he will carry his own water. He won't need the extra stuff like cooking gear as that is all shared equipment, but I may move the first aid kit to his pack to even out weight distribution.

Given how solidly you prepare for things I'm extra impressed that you're able to keep the weight down like that. Little Miss will be so proud, carrying her own stuff!

Given how solidly you prepare for things I'm extra impressed that you're able to keep the weight down like that. Little Miss will be so proud, carrying her own stuff!

I have made the mistake in the past of having camping gear that was too heavy. Trangia instead of a heavier gas burner, lightweight summer sleeping bag, no need for a heavier winter bag in the Queensland climate, lightweight 2 man tent was a little more expensive than a bigger tent with more headroom, would be too small for 2 adults but 1 adult and 1 child is a good size. Lightweight inflatable sleeping mat. Water will go into a bladder which is lighter than water bottles. No chairs etc. toiletries don't weigh much. First aid kit is still a little heavy but is essential. No change of day clothes but a set of warm clothes to sleep in and light raincoat plus a spare pair of socks.

I think climate makes a big difference to pack weight, If I was in Tasmania where cate is, the rangers check packs to ensure hikers have adequate equipment for the conditions.

I think climate makes a big difference to pack weight, If I was in Tasmania where cate is, the rangers check packs to ensure hikers have adequate equipment for the conditions.
When I used to go bushwalking I had to take so much stuff, "just in case". It was too heavy for me. The older members of the group used to check to see what I had :blush5: & I was always being told I didn't have enough food. We weren't even camping overnight!

tutorial today was hooking up an ECG and manual blood pressure readings to a person doing sub maximal exercise on a bike for calculating predicted Vo2 max and power outputs. happy I remembered how to do manual blood pressure readings with a stethoscope and Sphygmomanometer so was able to do that bit in one try.

We were told that the digital blood pressure monitors are not great for use during strenuous exercise.

Did they mention why the digital ones are less accurate here? Less accurate in the higher range in general or maybe just too slow to reflect quick changes?

A bit of both I believe but also there are other sounds that can be listened for in the flow of blood in addition to systolic and diastolic pressure, that we will learn to id in exercise physiology 2

I am not in the clinical program so it is not something I am likely to be doing a lot of, my focus is the high performance side of sport and exercise rather than the treatment of disease through exercise in the way an exercise physiologist is, but a lot of the course material is the same at this point.

next week is calculating lactate turn points etc. which is more towards my focus of performance sport but the clinical student still need to do it.

I am tossing up whether to check out a pickleball event on Saturday or go and hike to and from the campsite for little misses camping trip to confirm the walk and campsite are suitable. Descriptions are good but practical experience of the hike will be better.

the date of the pickleball come and try event is not this weekend, it is the first weekend next month so that clears Saturday for the campsite recce.

Not much happening today, a little bit of coaching.

it is always good when people notice a drop in bodyfat. not that I changed much, just cutting out the few things that had crept in over time but enough to be drawing a few comments. That in conjunction with some of the comments during the lab at uni last Wednesday about the size and musculature of my forearms, not something most people would pay much attention too except when setting up blood pressure cuffs lol I do have a little bit of the Popeye forearms happening, and was dubbed the triceps queen at the gym lol.

That's good about the pickleball not clashing & I love that people are noticing the drop in your body fat & calling you "triceps queen". Way to go, triceps queen 💪 👑

If I can snag a ticket I am contemplating a 15 hour drive to Townsville for next Friday's preliminary final.

If I can snag a ticket I am contemplating a 15 hour drive to Townsville for next Friday's preliminary final.
Wowsers! Really? They flogged the Raiders. I had missed that. G thought I had gone mad when I said "Go the Eels" last week. I had to explain the connection. GO THE EELS!

it is always good when people notice a drop in bodyfat. not that I changed much, just cutting out the few things that had crept in over time but enough to be drawing a few comments.
Congratulations :giggle:

Back