🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

here we go again.

It has been bucketing down all day again, worse in the upper catchment, tonight the shops in the CBD have been told to start packing, that is the very few that have re-opened since the last flood, most shops are still empty with buildings under repair and many shops that will not re-open. I feel dreadful for those living in tents in the yards of their destroyed homes as the water rises again.

Made it to the supermarket this evening before they closed, and the road near the sports field was a hive of activity as sports clubs and businesses were frantically loading trucks and shipping containers (they go under before the water reaches the CBD) and on the way home we were the last car through the road out of town before the road closed signs went up. There is still one bridge across the river but it is expected to close tomorrow and the highway north has already been cut.

It is all very depressing.

:grouphug: Some times just suck.

It sounds bloody depressing! I have been having a look online & the flooding is so widespread. I really hope the rain stops soon & the ground gets a chance to dry out a bit. It really does suck!

I have not really felt like posting, it is still raining on and off and I have my last 2 assessment tasks for the semester due at the end of next week and I think Llama and cate are the only ones who read this.

This week in behavioural health the topic is obesity, final quiz due on Sunday.

Oof, rain really needs to learn some balance in your parts. Would be interested to hear what they focus on regarding obesity.

more rain again last night. D was talking to the SES coordinator yesterday, they have a plan in place for this weekend in case we get another 200 ml on Friday/Saturday as suggested in some forecasts. The river has dropped below flood levels but not by much and a lot of rain will mean quick rises and more flooding again. The mental state of a lot of people in the area in very bad. The only help is from within the community, no help from the outside. Some bridges in the area are so damaged they need to be replaced or have major work to make them close to safe. In some areas not far out of town the residents need to detour 4-5 hours to get to work in town because of destroyed roads and bridges.

When the rain finally does clear, the risk of catastrophic fires next summer is a very real possibility, Ds brigade know they will not be able to get enough controlled burns done between when the rain stops and when the bushfire season begins, the extreme growth of vegetation from the rain is setting up a very dangerous situation.

the look at obesity in behavioural health is focussed on behavioural change and linking it to the psychological theories already studied, nothing really new that most people here don't already know. I think the content only skims the surface and seems to be aimed at the young and fit who are supposedly going to use these techniques to influence obese people which when you see it in practice leads to a lot of "health and fitness professionals" telling obese people they understand and "know how they feel" when in reality they have no fucking idea and simply come across as condescending. It could be an interesting tutorial on Friday, I tend to stay quiet and prefer not to speak much in discussions but I suspect I may not be able to hold my tongue for this one.

I have been procrastinating a bit but it has not been a complete waste lol, I was looking at the analysis of a couple of studies into bench press which indicate that female lifters are generally triceps dominant and males pec dominant when loads are sub maximal but as the load is increased the non dominant muscles are quick to activate and contribute to the lift. This has implications for training when it comes to load selection and the goals of the athlete. Like everything else a larger study combining the two existing studies would be good.

Ds brigade know they will not be able to get enough controlled burns done between when the rain stops and when the bushfire season begins, the extreme growth of vegetation from the rain is settin
That's terrifying. Things were bad enough as they were.
I think the content only skims the surface and seems to be aimed at the young and fit who are supposedly going to use these techniques to influence obese people which when you see it in practice leads to a lot of "health and fitness professionals" telling obese people they understand and "know how they feel" when in reality they have no fucking idea and simply come across as condescending.
Sounds familiar...
I tend to stay quiet and prefer not to speak much in discussions but I suspect I may not be able to hold my tongue for this one.
Heh, could you perhaps set up a secret camera for that one? I'll make popcorn. Air-popped, of course :Angel_anim:

more rain again last night. D was talking to the SES coordinator yesterday, they have a plan in place for this weekend in case we get another 200 ml on Friday/Saturday as suggested in some forecasts. The river has dropped below flood levels but not by much and a lot of rain will mean quick rises and more flooding again. The mental state of a lot of people in the area in very bad. The only help is from within the community, no help from the outside. Some bridges in the area are so damaged they need to be replaced or have major work to make them close to safe. In some areas not far out of town the residents need to detour 4-5 hours to get to work in town because of destroyed roads and bridges.
It's too awful, Tru. :grouphug:

1653115143880.png

The drive home from uni last night was a nightmare, bucketing down at night on a very busy highway filled with idiots.

rain all night and all day so far today.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9066312/

a couple of things I noted, the protein intake was compared to the US guidelines which do seem rater low and well below the Aus guidelines I have in my books from the AIS for active individuals (athletes etc) I have used LBM for protein need calculations for a long time now so I am at risk of confirmation bias, however it is worth a read.

Do you have a link we could read to the AIS guidelines, Tru? Although I am far from being an athlete I am really interested.
I really, really hope the rain has stopped up there!
YAY for the win last night!!!!

I don't have a nice easy link for you but the books by Dr Louise Burke have been been great reference material for me. Dr Burke was the head of nutrition at the AIS, She also explains things really well in person as I have been to a couple short information seminars she has run.

Happy with the win overall, but our electorate is stubbornly safe Lib and One Nation got a substantial number of votes in the house of reps :( . I am closely watching the results for the final senate seat with Pauline and the Legalise Cannabis Australia running neck and neck, with the latter party getting my number 3 vote above the line behind labor and greens.

no one diet comes in a single form. Every dietary philosophy comes in its best version and many ultra-processed nutrient-poor forms which strip many/most of its best assets but still maintain the key feature

This is a Quote from Dr Burke, it is not so much that individual diets are good or bad but the problem that once food manufacturers take over most food looses much of the nutritional value no matter what diet you choose.

This is a Quote from Dr Burke, it is not so much that individual diets are good or bad but the problem that once food manufacturers take over most food looses much of the nutritional value no matter what diet you choose.
That's so true. And most people compare the "best" version of their own diet to the "worst" version of whichever one they don't like.
Interesting that the US has such low protein intake guidelines. Here in Europe it's 0.8-1.2 g/kg and last I heard they were considering moving closer to the upper limit. Also not based on LBM but I guess that's mainly because most people don't have much of a clue what their LBM would be.

Making progress on my uni assessments, by the end of the week I should be done with everything for the semester, ready for a brain break before getting into more interesting stuff with scientific methods and exercise physiology.

We tested the 2 batches of mead today, will rack 1 tomorrow but the drier mead still has a while to go in the primary. after racking it will be time to add the lime and bottle in a few days.

After racking, another batch can be set in motion.

Still raining, water has exceeded minor flood levels but no bridges going under this time and should peak at around 8.5 meters but it technically means 4 floods so far this year.

4 floods already this year! I hope you get some respite soon.

Back