🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Mothers day today, I did something stupid, little miss made cookies at childcare that she was very proud of and she was looking so very miserable that I did not want to eat them, I gave in and ate a crumb size bit, it made her very happy but my throat partly closed up. Feeling a bit better now. I also spent time in the gym watching little miss make up all sorts of games with my gym equipment and she looked hilarious when she put on my boxing gloves to hit the heavy bag, the gloves came up above her elbows lol.

Lazy day yesterday, helped son get brewing equipment for home yesterday. He has plenty of experience with beer and cider but not mead and experimenting is a challenge for him as all the brews at work were developed by his old boss. I have mead experience but not his level of experience of brewing on a commercial scale. Between us the plan is a light (8%) lime melomel mead with the lime added to the secondary rather than the primary to avoid acidity problems in primary fermentation. we will get it started when the food safe tubing arrives in the post next week. After the batch moves to secondary we will start a new primary batch of 18% classic mead for me as I would like to age some.

once the lime mead has aged sufficiently he will take it in to work for tasting by the staff and his boss to work out what changes need to be made before it gets scaled up in the brewery. All of the ingredients are local except the yeast. The limes come from the breweries lime farm and the honey is from local Goomboorian hives mostly placed in the macadamia farms.

solid rain outside so need to entertain little miss inside again, probably in the gym.

You really are a Jack of all trades!
on a basic level brewing mead is probably the simplest brewing you can do lol, honey, water and yeast, then let it ferment. it is a hobby we can do at home as a family. None of us are big drinkers. small amounts of high quality is the way to go.

I have no idea how to estimate calories of home brewed alcohol.

If you know how much honey you put in and you measure the amount of alcohol produced you should be able to calculate it, right?

We know that the sugars in the 1kg of honey should fully ferment to produce 8% alcohol but to be honest I have not even looked at how to calculate the calories. we are producing a dry mead so there should be minimal if any sugars remaining making the alcohol calories the primary calculation. If it was a sweet mead where the fermentation is stopped before all the sugars have been used would add an additional complication for the maths probably related to the hydrometer readings but that is just a guess.

The lime juice is not fermented due to the timing of when it is added so should be just a straight calorie calculation based on volume.

I'm not sure that I have tasted mead. I love the hot lemon(or lime) drink I have each night (without any alcohol) so I'm sure I would like it.

I'm not sure that I have tasted mead. I love the hot lemon(or lime) drink I have each night (without any alcohol) so I'm sure I would like it.

Mead is at the basic level is a honey wine, but there a lot of different styles of mead. The aim of the brew I am helping D to create is for it to be a light dry mead with a hint of lime. the yeast we are using is supposed to bring out the floral notes. we have looked at a variety of lime mead recipes and the comments generally reflect that it is a light refreshing mead unlike the heavier higher alcohol content meads or spiced meads.

the yeast can handle up to 18% but we are not using enough honey to reach that level which creates the "dry" type mead. D has decided to also make a batch of sweet lime mead to compare also at the 8% mark so will need more honey and an extra process to stop the fermentation at 8% leaving some of the honey unfermented.

We are using 5 litre demijohns for the fermentation so the batches are small, about the right size for experimenting without the risk of loosing a lot of ingredients if we make a bad batch then it can be scaled up.

I have a nice timber cabinet that once I clean out the junk, will probably hold about 8 demijohns out of the way to ferment and age.

Planned Exercise

I will do some rowing to break up study today, about 15-30 minutes between 1-2 hours study.

Food

I have some chicken drumsticks in the fridge that I cooked last night. I will have them with a steamer packet of cauliflower rice that I picked up from ALDI. I had a packet yesterday and it tasted good, was filling, did not contain any allergens and was keto friendly and even better did not require a heap of prep like it does to make it from scratch.

For those in the UK who read my diary

United Kingdom's Channel 5 series World’s Most Scenic Railway Journeys. fifth season will go to air in July. The film crew just finished filming here so if you want to see my local area, take a look.

for everybody else it will go to air sometime in the next year.

Flood warnings have now been issued for the Mary River, smaller creeks and rivers are beginning to flood already, cutting some roads, the heavy rain is due tonight, tomorrow and Friday.

This morning I had to stop at the bottom of the driveway to move our neighbours bin, I sank into the mud just stepping on the grass next to the bitumen. it has been raining for days already in a catchment still saturated from the previous two floods this year. There is a lot of panicked and stressed people in the area right now.

The flood warning was updated earlier tonight, minor flood levels have already been exceeded, moderate levels (12 m) expected to be exceeded by 9 am in the morning, at the 9m mark is when the first of the major bridges go under. At 12 meters some houses and businesses will be flooded but is still at only half the height of the last flood, we still have 2 days of heavy rain still to come in the forecast.

Little miss is supposed to be going on an excursion to the local agricultural show tomorrow, the show is on the other side of the river so I am expecting the excursion to be canceled depending on further flood updated. Next update is at 2 am

The river has come up slower than forecast but is still rising quite quickly with lots of rain all across the catchment, little misses childcare is still going to cross the river for the show excursion but traffic on the one remaining bridge will be a nightmare.

Just had a late e-mail from uni, face to face tutorials have been canceled and will be done via zoom. takes away the concern that there is a good chance one of the bridges between home and uni going under by tomorrow night,

Glad they're being realistic, at least.

Back